Pastel-ID / unethical behavior; scam artist

1 Santa Monica, CA, United States Review updated:

We hired Melissa Bacoka, owner of Pastel-ID [protected]) for interior design services.
We paid her a retainer of $3, 000.00 in May 2017 before agreeing on a proposal (w/signed contracts) for the project. After we gave her an initial deposit of $22, 000 in August of 2017 as well as another payment of $2, 700.00 for early furniture purchases, she disappeared. We reached out to her via email, phone, instagram, facebook. She responded once (late October 2017) to say she had been traveling and then we did not hear from her again. We continued trying to reach out to her. We saw no sign of her (even searched obituaries) until she posted a picture of a cocktail she enjoyed at Musso and Frank's Grill on December 29, 2017. She has still refused to return our calls and emails.
We are hard working people with children. We hope to warn others about Pastel-ID and Melissa Bacoka. She and her company are a scam.

Pastel-ID

• Updated by Andrea Romero, Mar 08, 2018

Ms Bacoka contacted us a few weeks ago - see attachments. She apologized and offered to fulfill the furniture purchases as contracted. When we asked her to simply pay us back the thousands she owes us - she disappeared again...

unethical behavior; scam artist
    unethical behavior; scam artist
  • Updated by Andrea Romero, Jul 19, 2018

Happy to report that we won our case at small claims court last week. Unfortunately, we will not be recouping any funds as Melissa Bacoka is declaring bankruptcy. Her latest threat is almost too good:

"The judgment from the court is exactly as I expected. As I stated last week, this judgement will be added to my personal bankruptcy claim meaning you will not get anything. I will however, not include this judgement and begin making payments on an agreed upon payment plan with the condition you take down the complaints board post from the internet. I cannot pay you the settlement without the ability to make an income. That post is hindering my ability to gain employment with a company. If you leave this post up, you will not get the settlement from me. "

STAY AWAY from this person!

An
Jan 17, 2018

Comments

• Cr
      20th of Jan, 2018

I've recommended her three times, and I have had two clients report that this has happened. -Craig Gore

• Cr
      20th of Jan, 2018

I have recommended her twice after working with her successfully- And I have had 2 clients report that this has happened with large sums of money.