Panda Express / uncharitable manger

1 4301 W Wisconsin Ave # 201 Appleton, WI 54913 Appleton, WI, United States Review updated:
Phone: (920) 830-4520

Panda Express,

As an Ex-Employee, I would like you to know that, I was a honest student who graduated in high school with a diploma and planning to go to college. I was looking for a new experiences, nice job, and happen to find that Panda Express in the Fox River Mall, was hiring. I deicide to applied there because I was really into their foods and would like to know more of it. When I was in the mall, I went straight to Panda Express and only saw two workers there and so I asked for application form from the Manger, which his name is Joe. He told me to filled up the application, turn it in and come in the morning to work. With just one glance at my job experience and I was hire. I thought “WOW” amazing finally I got a job. The next day I got up, put on my clothes and head straight to the Mall. I got there in a couple minutes early, I saw a worker there who told me to go in the back to wait while they’re done working in the front. I went to the back door and waited. Just a minute pass by, I saw a worker there who just walk out like he was mad at something. But I didn’t asked anything and was silence. I just stand there waiting for my interview. Suddenly, there was another person who was supposed to get hire happened to show up too.
The door was opened by a worker, we went in and saw the manger coming straight at us. He didn’t give us any interviews, and also he didn’t give us any instructions on what is going to happened if thing get out of hand. Then, he saw a hat and shirt that was lying on top of some boxes, that used belong to a workers there, who just walk out/quitting a couple of minutes ago. The manger named Joe was swearing and using inappropriate words that was not supposed to be use. He turned to me and the other guy, who was hire there with me on Saturday, November 11, 2008. He was telling us that he does not want to hire anymore Hmong people because some of them would walk out and quit without leaving any weeks notice. I was really offended on what he said, because I was Hmong and the guy that was hire there was also Hmong too. We both were really offended by what he say to us, he also mention that he does “NOT” want to hire any TacoBell worker, that use to work at TacoBell. Because this one time when he hire a worker who use to work at TacoBell and who was really Lazy and wouldn’t do anything, which he was using that against us because we both use to work at TacoBell and that even offended me and the other Hmong guy. He went to the back and take out a cigarette and start smoking in front of us while he was wondering around in the back for clothes to give us.
I was brought to the front to serve customers and the other Hmong guy was a cooker in the back, which he doesn’t know anything about cooking. The manger Joe, which I think he is the General Manger didn’t bother to teach that new employee any cooking skills and expect he knows how to cook. The GM was swearing so loud at the Hispanic cooker, it made me think that’s the reason why many other employees quit. Its was pretty embarrassed and I do not want that to happened to me. I turned around and was doing my job, offering customers drink and serve them. At that time, he was just swearing and using inappropriate language the whole day, so loud that even some customers even hear him too. While he was in the back he would also be smoking but instead I just kept silence the whole day. It wasn’t me who kept silence the whole day, if you look at it, all the workers there wouldn’t even to bother to talked about it, too.
I offered customers drink in a nice way where most likely an employee would do, likely I would I say, “Would you like anything to drink, small, medium, or a large soda?”, but right after the manger heard me saying this and it offended him, he grabbed my arm and talked to me in a really high tone, it was like yelling at me that I shouldn’t be using those kind of words where I use to use in TacoBell, that was even offended me more because I use to work at TacoBell and I’m Hmong. I don’t understand at all why would a manger using that against me. I thought this supposed to be a nice job that I was willing to plan on working there longer. After hearing what he told me, he took me out to the front where there were bout 20-26 customers who were ordering foods and embarrass me in front of all of them, by telling me that I should say this, “Can I get you a medium Pepsi?”, he was saying this to a couple of customers in a high tone, it also made some customers were just looking at him, answering no drinks. I look at him and was thinking that, that was the same thing I am asked the customer too, but in a different way of saying.
I do not even know the foods named were. When other customer asking me what are these foods, I didn‘t know what to tell them, it embarrassed me because the manger didn’t tell me anything, by just telling me to go to work. Another manger there was named Angie, she was the cashier next to me. I asked her what the food named were and she give me no answers to my question. She looked at me and give me a glare and turned away. I was like, am I a bad person or am I doing something wrong here. She starting to filled up some drinks which it supposed to be my job doing it, she leave it there and expect me to know which customer to give to without letting me know who is who. I asked her who is who, so I can give it to the customers so they wouldn’t complain. Again she glare at me, like I should not even talked to her at all. I decided not to talked to her and go with the flow. I turned around to offered customer more drinks and then manger Angie tap on my back and ask me that am I the one making all those drinks, I was like “No”, you were the one who was busy taking order without giving the customers their drink. It is not me that who filled all these drink here, ” I talked to her in a nice tone, and she gave me a glare again and it made me feel like I should not even be here at all. I was depress of what she is acting toward me and its made me really want to go home. I turned around to the kitchen and saw the manger was picking something from the floor and put it back in the frying pan like he didn’t see me there. This is really sick. I went to the back and took of my off my apron, t-shirt, hat and I leave them where they should be at. I leave without given them notice. I was really angry, depress, stress-out, very offended and I don’t really know what to do at all. So I just do the best I can do, is to walk out of there liked I never work there at all.
So Panda Express, I want you to know how I really feel toward what both manger were doing, and not wanted this to affected other Panda Express company but wanted you to know what they been having attitudes toward their Employees. That’s why all other employees were walking out and quitting. I understand that writing this probably would affected some people and hoping what I did was a right thing to do, but I wanted you to know about this before it get out of hands. I understand that the manger there were really in need of helping while hiring new employees, that they shouldn’t be doing this to them at the same time, using attitude toward them. I think that it is not a right thing to do this to them because it would cause them many stress and would threaten them to leave their jobs. I’ve been working a couple of places where many mangers wouldn’t do that to me. I was really offended that day and really angry at what they say to me. I was not happy at all and wanting something to change before this was getting out of hand. I am trying my best to serve many customer and this is the first time of my life that I ever experienced something differently. If this complain wasn’t something so unbelievable to hear or see, all the employees there seen and hear it all, even some customers hear it too. As an honest student, I was teach to learned how to make a better person out of everyone. I do not meant any harmed to anyone, but it really hurts me and I thought that some one should know this before it hurt someone else.

Comments

• Ai
      5th of Dec, 2008

Dear California Workers:

I'm investigating a potential Class Action against Panda Express for Race Discrimination and Violations of the California Labor Code.

Please give me a call to discuss the possibility of becoming a class representative. Thank you.

With kind regards,

Edwin Aiwazian, Esq.
    THE AIWAZIAN LAW FIRM
    330 Arden Avenue, Suite 205
    Glendale, CA 91203
    Phone (818) 265-1020
    Fax (818) 265-1021

21st of May, 2010

I ate at panda express in Madera California Monday the 17th of may the girl at the drive thru was crystal Maya she was very rude to me I asked to speak to the manager because she was rude and had my food sitting there ready but would not give it to me nor look over to the window. The manager was Rosa she was nice about it so I dropped it. Then that night a friend of mine told me to look at face book she posted on there that you shouldn’t [censor] with people that handle your food. Meaning she either did something to my food or wanted to either way she wrote it and I do not feel comfortable with someone with that mentality working at a fast food place. I went in two days later to speak with a manager I explained what happened and I gave him the paper I printed out. He said he would check the cameras and call me back it’s been two days and he has not called and the girl is still working there I don’t understand how they can keep her there.

• Is
      30th of May, 2010

Aright. My name is Melissa and am 17. I'm currently employed by Panda Express and they treat me the exact same way. I live in Redding, California and They all treat me very pourly. They get mad at me at every little thing i do without much training. Also my drawer came up short so the Mexican lady told me i had to give her $20 dollars right there and then. Later i proved that the drawer wasn't really short and that it is illigal for them to make you pay for a short drawer. they're supposed to just write you up which they also did. I'm trying to quit right now but idk how. I'm tired of being treated like that and being talked about behind my back. If someone can help me figure out how to quit i'd be super happy. I'm done feeling miserable and just want to be happy and have fun again. Thank you.

• Mi
      1st of Jun, 2010

Does Panda ask its employees to sign releases when they quit or are terminated? Do they give severance pay?

Interested Attorney

• Am
      14th of Jul, 2010

my name is Amel HAFDALLAH, and I'm an associate at Panda Express.
    Today (there is almost 1h30mn) I was fired indirectly by the manager and an associate ????!!! because I'm pregnant and I am in my first month?!
    It was busy and I started at 11 am, I put the uniform and started to work, the manager 'PUM' was shouting at me as usual - do this, why did you say that to the customer?? you should say that insteat... don't say have a good day, say have nice day!!! the embarassing situations are whene I'm taking customer's orders and she is making her comments at the same time... she never ask the associates if they want to take lunch first, at 1pm the take her plate and have lunch even if it's still busy, or even if she knows that i have stomachach and I have to eat something to be able to work. when she finish the other associate go to take her lunch and I am always the last one.
    today I was crying all my way home, after lunch time the associate 'Mei Mei' told me cruelly : "if you're pregnant you should stay at home and let us get another associate!" I said : "but I am doing my job correctly and I need money?" waht surprised me that the manager "PUM" agreed with her!! then she told you can leave now it's not busy! it was 2 pm and I left crying, without taking my lunch.
    the poor kitchen guys take lunch at 5 or 6 pm and they start at 9:30am, is she a good manager???!
    Is it fair what they did to me today??? please give your feedbacks and tell me what should I do, I am new in the USA?

• Yv
      16th of Aug, 2010

i was also fired unjustfully call me 760 5865818

• Yv
      16th of Aug, 2010

i would also be interested in telling my story of unfairness. panda express mistreats the managers and employees

• Ca
      15th of Jan, 2011

terrible, go to laywer and discused about it

26th of May, 2011
    Panda Express Of Kingman - Food Poisoning
    Panda Express Of Kingman

I went to panda express on april 25 to purchase a 3 entree meal and a chicken egg-roll. I ate half of the food and almost 24 hours later my stomache was as hard as a rock and i projectile vomited for nearly 30 minutes, for nearly 5 - 6 days i was bedridden because i could not stand for more than a few minutes without having the need to puke. i recovered around the 30th of april and i immediantly emailed the corporate office to tell them of my situation. i would have called the kingman location but i could not get out of bed and by the time i got well i figured it would not do any good as 5 days had already passed. so i decided to contact the coporate office. i emailed them about how i am a loyal customer and i only wish to see the situation ressolved as i believed someone at the kingman location did not cook the food properly and i didnt want anyone else to get sick. About 4 days passed and no one emailed me back, all i got was a stupid survey. so i emailed them again and i told them that i was going to write a report on this site. I am thinking about emailing the kingman health department.

• Oh
      27th of May, 2011

I wish you good luck with your claim. The problem is that it is nearly impossible to prove, especially now that it has been so long since, that it was their food the made you sick. You can argue that was the only thing you ate that was out of the norm, but then they can argue that it was something else you consumed, which it is the burden of you (the customer) to prove that it was their food and not something else. I would consider contacting the particular location instead of corporate because corporate probably will ignore your claim as they don't want to offer anything, thus assuming guilt. You have a better chance of a location manager giving you something just to keep you from going to corporate. Again though, too much time has passed.

• Op

It happens man. Nut up.

• Mo
      27th of May, 2011

If you'd notified the Health Dept in your acute phase, they probably would have done an investigation, they take food borne illnesses very seriously.

• Oh
      18th of Jun, 2011

At this point, the complaint to the health department will do no good. The problem with claiming you got food poisoning at a restaurant is that the burden is on you to prove that it was their food that made you sick. The corporate office isn't going to do anything to resolve the matter because if they take any action, that is admitting guilt. About the only time that anyone can make a successful complaint for food poisoning is if they happen to have leftovers from the meal that can be analyzed by a lab for bacteria's and whatnot.

• Kk
      19th of Aug, 2011

This is nothing about discrimination. I am Chinese and worked in a Chinese restaurant before. I got the same treatment. People are busy @ work and many would lose their temper and being rude to other co-workers over many fine details. Don't even talk to the chef when he's worked up. Chinese are treated the same way. So Mexicans, you're not alone. BTW, chefs get to help dump trash also. They do find those who are physically stronger to do the physically demanding chores. Not just Mexicans. It's about working in a fast-paced, high pressure work environment. It sucks but this is what life is. BTW, I actually see Mexicans working as chefs in Pandora Express. This is a high honor. If Mexicans are discriminated they won't be hired as chefs there at all. If Mexicans can sue this way, I think all the workers in labor-intensive jobs (like working in farms picking cherries) should sue.

• Sh
      19th of Feb, 2012

i was wondering if it sells the hats the workers own? And There Food Is Awesome!

• Fr
      24th of May, 2014

I was an employee of Panda Express as well, but rather than file for legal action, I will be content to tell everyone in the entire nation what Panda has done to me, the nasty things I saw take place at panda, and the exploitation of both American and Illegal Mexican employees. Do you folks actually think the hire of people who carry herpes is ok: moreover, do you think its ok for a Panda Express with herpes to both bleed on the food and serve the customer, especially without wearing gloves like Subway employees do? Do you think its ok to lie to your employees, telling them if they work hard they will get promotions, when all the while, its only ###, lesbians, bi-sexual persons, and Asians who get promotions - at least normally? Do you think its ok to work people for low wages and only allow them to get lesser than 20 hours? The list does continue you know, into subjects such as purposely shorting employees hours, calling people names, such as Race, Age, and Gender based biases.

• Su
      27th of Dec, 2014

My daughter just stated at Panda Express in Georgia. she is the only white person there and gets paid over a dollar less and the manager is changing her time card and stealing hours from her.

• As
      28th of Jul, 2016

I have been made to take on duties at Panda that are non negotiable. Whenever I work in the Drive through, my performance falters as I am unable to slow myself down long enough to call out food. I have been written up for this. I have been bullied about this numerous times. Panda touts that it is a team building exercise, and yet I have been told by my bosses to never rely on my co-workers. To be considerate about what they have to do. So whenever there's a rush, i am drowning in drive through, swarmed by 20+ cars ordering massive quantities of food. I try to call food out I get confirmation the crew heard me, but my biggest beef is, if you're taking most of the food, you have to call that food out. If I'm in the window trying to get cars out by myself because my manager's told me, "you put yourself into that hole, I'm not going to have anyone help you, you're just going to have to figure this out." (Refering to me taking on three cars at once to maximize drive through flow, and compromising my times, ) I can't glance at what we need, and I can't ask anyone what's already been called out. I've tried. I have tried numerous times and it's impossible!

And I get written up because I can't take the time to slow down and check the line and call out 6 different entres and three sides while I'm being swarmed by cars. Whomever works front counter tries to call it out but I'm working with seasoned panda associates who flat out refuse to perform just as well as me, and I end up getting the flack for it.

I'm not denying I'm failing to perform. There is definitely evidence of that, but the way they treat me about it, and single me out amongst other employees who mess up just as badly just as frequently has me wanting to give my two weeks notice.

They tout "team work" and yet NOT BODY in the Yucca Valley, California Panda, takes the initiative to do just that!!! Not that I have seen so far. They told me to not rely on my co-workers, so I stop asking for help. They tell me.certain duties are strictly my job and mine alone, and wonder why whenever I close drive through it takes me more than an hour to do all my tasks when everything needs to be stocked that the front line depleted and didn't help as a courtesy to restock. I'm told certain duties have to be done in a specific manner and in a specific time frame, when I know.for a fact co-workers cut corners to make those impossible time frames, and yet when I do it, they don't have to chew me out for what's been missed, they just ask why it takes me so long.

I feel so underappreciated and resentful towards my job it is making me physically sick to my stomach to go into work every shift. I am losing sleep dreading and punishing myself for my shortcomings to the point my hair is falling out in quite noticeable amounts. Thick clumps.

I've tried to be medicated for anxiety and depression and that makes me feel like I'm doped up on sedatives.

I have tried EVERYTHING I can to adapt. And I simply can't.

• Lo
      15th of Aug, 2018
    Panda Express - Panda restaurant was not clean
    Gadsden
    Alabama

My family and I stopped by Panda in Gadsden Al store #2465. Main sitting area and restrooms where not clean at all. Sweetened tea Brew pot was opened during our entire stay of 30 minutes and remained open after we left. I would have addressed these issues on the spot but didn't want to cause a scene as whoever was in charge needed a butt chewing.

20th of Aug, 2018
    Panda Express - Food
    Los Angeles
    California
    Pandaexpress.com

We ate at Panda Express in the Century City mall this past weekend and my whole family has been sick with the stomach flu for days.