Orkin Pest Control / Beware

United States Review updated:

I signed a one-year contract with Orkin for them to provide quarterly preventive pest control for mice I had living in my house. The mice did seem to disappear after a couple months.

However, after the first couple visits, in which Orkin called us to set the appt, they stopped calling us, and instead came every couple months, always in the day when we were not home. They would leave a notice on our door handle saying they had sprayed outside the perimeter of the house. We did not notice any evidence of pests in the house so we continued to pay their hefty charges.

Then one weekday, Orkin left another notice on my door saying they had sprayed the perimeter. Problem was, I was home the entire day, and at the time on the notice, I was in the backyard working on my garden, so there was absolutely no way the Orkin rep. could have sprayed the perimeter of the house.

We called Orkin, and told them we would not be paying the latest bill, because they weren't actually providing us with any service. The rep at Orkin then had the gall to tell me that they had a work order signed by someone in the house that proved that not only did they spray the outside, but also the inside of the house! After 3 or 4 phone calls they finally admitted that they were mistaken about the "signed" form, and did not charge us.

And now, not a month later, we have mice in the house again.

So beware: while Orkin may be effective in pest control, that's only when they actually do what they are paid for!

If you do decide to go with Orkin, do not accept these fake service appointments - insist that they call to schedule an appointment when you will be there. Otherwise they claim to provide service, but in reality, they just fill out the form and stick it on your doorknob.
Va

Comments

Wh
  27th of Mar, 2009
I was also on kind of the same situation. I was not happy with the services that were rendered by Orkin, and then I decided to cancel, since I was under the 1 year contract, they made it kind of hard for me to stop receiving services. The issue became about when the territory rep charged me for "Perimeter" services on a day that I was not at home. He did not leave me any receipt or notes behind, and plus he called the "perimeter service" the front of my house. See, my house has a wooden fence and so does both of my neighbors on both sides of my home, therefore if he in fact come to render services like he claimed he did, it must have been the front porch! For a full two months worth of charges, I don't think the front porch is worth that much! Anyways, it took me a couple of calls for them to resolve the matter and give me credit for that last imaginative serivce until I receive a, get this, collection letter for that last month of service that I was already have supposed to have gotten credit for... I definetly WILL never recommend this company again in my life!
Oh
  30th of May, 2009
The company policy (as of 2008), is that they schedule a regular appointment with you when you sign the contract. They usually do the first two months in a row, and then the service is performed every other month. The tech comes by on the scheduled day, and if you aren't there, they treat the perimeter of your home. This is logged into the computer by someone in the office and the work-ticket is filed. If you want them to come back out to treat the inside, they will, but they will probably do everything they can to discourage you.

The problem is that Orkin has to rely on the technician to be responsible and honest, but (in my experience, anyway) they hire practically anyone who shows up to interview dressed nicely who can pass a drugtest and criminal background check. I've seen techs forge signatures, call customers drunk, and deliver all around ### service while the management decided to look the other way. I know that there are very good managers and technicians working for Orkin, but (once again, in my experience) their tendency to operate on a skeleton staff makes the reluctant to fire or seriously discipline anyone, allowing bad managers and techs to continue making the company look bad.
Jo
  1st of Jun, 2012
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I can't even get them to come out when scheduled . The promise to come between 9- 11 it's now 1130 . We called and the lady said sorry we don't know where he is . It's bad enough we had to wait 2 days even though they promise same day service . Orkin are crooks

Orkin Logo Orkin