Nutro / Pet Food / Quality of food causing illness

I have a doberman pinscher who I had been feeding Nutro and Nutro Max dog food since the end of the pet food recall. (Nutro is the brand that has their sales people standing in the aisles at Petsmart telling you how pure and nutritious their food is.) Well, my dog had been recently losing weight, snubbing her food and gagging and choking frequently. I couldn't figure out why such a skinny dog wouldn't eat. Then I started receiving e-mails about Nutro dog food and that in Texas there were pet illnesses and deaths attributed to the feeding of Nutro products. Consumers were being the cold shoulder by the company that produces Nutro when they asked whether there was a problem with their food. I was worried because the same symptoms in the sick and dead victims were the problems I was seeing in my dobie. I returned all of the cans of Nutro Max I had purchased to the Petsmart and bought an alternative dry and wet food. I began supplementing the wet food with home cooked "dog stews". The dobie began to gain wait and her eyes looked better and she was gagging and choking less and less each day. I took her to the vet shortly after the diet change and the vet said her liver enzymes were high. This also happened to be another symptom suffered by other dogs that were fed Nutro products.

My dobie seems better these days and I attribute that to getting her off Nutro and Nutro Max dog food.
If your dog is eating this stuff and seems okay remember that a bad diet will kill you over time. It's not like drinking or eating poison mushrooms or something. It's something that can cause slow health damage over the long term. I am resentful that I have paid premium prices for a food product that was causing my beloved dobie to suffer possible liver damage.

Comments

• Ro
      14th of Oct, 2008

What Pet food company you work for.

• Mr
      8th of May, 2009

To Spiralsands,
    I am so happy to read your dobie pulled through! Nutro is a company that has the worst track record for making pets sick and die. They only care about their profits period. Two years after the recall and they are STILL in the news! As long as they can continue to poison our pets and get away with it they will do so. The FDA and other supposed regulatory companies are pretty useless as is evident that this is still going on. Please spread to the word.

To Robert Dog,
    Don't be such an idiot! If you work for Nutro, quit! or at least come forward and admit to the public what you know goes on behind closed doors, you may be rewarded. And no, I don't work for another pet food company. Unlike you, some of us truly love animals but I guess you would have to be inhumane to take a job at Nutro.

• Ri
      15th of Jun, 2009

Ringo the Dingo

MY DOG AS BEEN ON NUTRO FOR 3-4 YEARS. HE HAS BEEN SICK AND VOMITS YELLOW BIAL EVERY MORNING FOR SEVERAL MONTHS. IT GOT SO BAD THAT HE COULD NOT MAKE IT OUT THE DOOR. HE STOP EATING NUTRO AND WE TOOK DOG TO VET. TESTING WAS UNCONFIRMED AS TO REAL PROBLEM.

HE WAS EATING GRASS AND WENT ON TO EATING ROCKS AND HAD NEVER EVER DONE THAT IN HIS LIFE. HE DRANK TONS OF WATER BUT WOULD NOT EAT FOOD UNTILL I GUESS HE WAS REALLY HUNGRY.

WE ALSO FEED HIM NUTRO COOKIES !

VET SAID DOG HAS FUILD BUILD UP IN LUNGS AND ROCKS IN STOMACH AND FILMS/XRAYS SHOWED MASS ON HEART. X-RAYS LOOKED WHITE ALL OVER STOMACH AREA AND VET SAID IT SHOULD BE DARK.

NOW WERE SUPPOSED TO LOCK HIM DOWN IN HOUSE AND NEEDS 24 HOUR CARE. I'M SO SAD AND VERY SORRY TO SAY WE PUT HIM DOWN 3 WEEKS AGO.

NOW I GET WARNING FROM VET BILL AND THEIR IS WARING ON NUTRO.

WITH EXCELLENT SKILL'S IN SURFING THE INTERNET AND FINDING INFORMATION, I KNOW KNOW WHAT WAS WRONG WITH MY DOG !!!

NUTRO, NUTRO, NUTRO, NUTRO, NUTRO, NUTRO, NUTRO ECT...

RINGO WAS MY DOG, RED QUEENSLAND HEALER

I hate you guy's ( NUTRO) and america has to stop them. ringoallee@att.net

• St
      4th of Dec, 2009

Sorry to hear about your dog -- my big dog has eaten Nutro for 14 YEARS -- and is alive & kicken! So it's NOT the food... a company doesn't make food to sicken dogs..

23rd of Mar, 2010

Go to consumeraffairs.com & search for "Nutro pet food complaints"! I also used Nutro Max for years with no problem, but it was bought by the huge conglomerate Mars International about 3 years ago. There have been SERIOUS problems with the Nutro food production multiple times since Mars took it over!

Until I recently brought home new bags that my fur-babies wouldn't go NEAR, I had no idea Nutro was bought by Mars or about the many serious food production problems Nutro had since the Mars buyout! In February, I bought a new bag of Nutro Max (10/2010 best by date) & my cats wouldn't go near it! I immediately called Nutro, since my pets loved their Nutro & the bag was marked "Improved Taste". I was told they ONLY added additional chicken meal, but maybe my bag had gone rancid during delivery. I was told to get another bag with a different "best by" date, so it would be a different production run. I had to go to a neighboring town to find a different "best by" date, but I did as Nutro suggested. Second bag- different date(9/2010): SAME problem! Pets went close & wouldn't touch it! I called Nutro AGAIN- same story, they just added additional chicken meal, no idea why my cats wouldn't eat it... At NO point did EITHER of these reps ask for my "best by" date or the lot number! Shows how concerned they are- NOT!!! I did tell the rep it needed to be escalated- something was wrong with their food. My last call to Nutro, I again spoke to Diana- her story was now different from what she said before. Now she said they didn't change the Nutro Max formula AT ALL recently, but they ran out of the correct packaging & knowingly use OLD packages so they didn't hold up sales! LOVELY! What else would this damn company do so they didn't lose money?

After researching, I learned about Nutro's buyout by Mars & all the problems since. Last summer's recall was because Nutro used a vitamin pre-mix bought from another company, that Nutro didn't even bother testing. Some batches had TOXIC levels of Zinc; some batches had inadequate levels of potassium! But Nutro had customer complaints for MONTHS before they finally did a recall! There is documentation by so many that they contacted Nutro, yet Mars/Nutro said they never received any customer complaints & learned of the pre-mix "error" (KILLED many pets; sickened others, but hard to prove) during a paperwork audit.

2 of my 3 cats become ill, 1 seriously so & had to be hospitalized on an IV. The symptoms of both were what we were warned about with the TOXIC Zinc issue- loss of appetite, bloody diarrhea, vomiting. But the "best by" date on my recent bags were outside the end of last summer's recall date range, 8/22/2010. Mine had October, then September 2010 dates. Was Nutro lying again about the date range? Or since they have screwed up so many times thanks to poor Quality Control, were there additional "mistakes"? I almost lost 1 of my beloved pets, but many other have had their pets die recently- they ALL ate Nutro pet foods, dogs & cats! We spent well over $2000, but I still have my pets- now eating MUCH healthier food!

Nutro should document our calls, take our "best by" dates & lot numbers, offer to test since there are SO many complaints! But they do NOTHING! MARS/NUTRO has PLENTY of money & should learn the meaning of morals/ethics & responsibility- they ARE responsible for what they produce. Mars also owns Royal Canin, Whiskas & other pet food/treat brands, so BEWARE!

Mars/Nutro- YOU are POISONING our pets! Apathy on your part is DISGUSTING!

• Co
      8th of Sep, 2010

A little education if you please. I have been a pet owner for 15+ years and a veterinary technician for over 3. I am so sorry to bust everyones bubble... dog food cant manifest fluid on a dogs heart and or lungs no more than KFC can do that to any one of us two legged creatures. And would any of you use chicken that had gone past its expiration date !!! HELLO !!! A little common sence please. Dog food can go bad, especially if it is not handled properly, like left on a hot loading doc for hours, the chicken/beef/lamb base can go bad!! Has any one heard of ' ulceritive colitis' big word for belly ache. I bet no one disclosed that they slipped " Fluffy " a pork chop when she just had an upset stomach... can we say pancreatitis... there are lots of variables here people. If you change your dogs food too quickly... instant bloody stool and potential vomiting. ( voice of experiance here people, ) If you give your dog people food that in it self can cause pancreatic issues. Do you realy think that the company is just out to kill pets?? I highly doubt it people. If you all can recall a few years ago Purina had the same issue... except... it included, dog, cat, horse and cattle feed... This is why i work with dogs and cats... they are not as judgemental as people... nice thing about my clients is... when they get nippy... it least i have the option to put a muzzle on them, unlike the two legged kind. Common sence people, maybe you ought to try and get some... right next to the bag of nutro I feed my dogs... LOL.