Northeastern Illinois University / racial discrimination

1 5500 N Saint Louis AveChicago, IL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 773) 583-4050

Northeastern Illinois University does not provide a safe and free of racial discrimination environment for the foreign and Middle Eastern students. About several months ago, I and several of my friends asked police officers during the daytime whether they can watch our bags for about five minutes because my friend forgot her cell phone in the restroom. The names I saw on the officers’ uniforms were Galindo and Lopez. However, Lopez said “We are not watching your bags. Who do you think you are, you smelly immigrants.” Some of my friends said that they do not like it when someone destroys their reputation and integrity. However, Galindo said that I and my friends are immigrants, and we do not have any integrity. He also said that we do not know what integrity is. At this point, Galindo became very enraged, and he pointed out a knife at me. He said “immigrants. Go back where you come from. This is my country immigrants.” I told him that I am U.S. citizen, and I am not going anywhere. He accused me that I am disrespecting the honor of those who died for my freedom. At this point, Lopez said “You foreigners go back where you come from.” I told him again that I am not going anywhere. Galindo said “I was born in this country, go back where you come from, ” and he was moving his hands back and forth with his knife in his hands. The above situation is just an example of the type of the environment and racial discrimination foreign and Middle Eastern students encounter at Northeastern Illinois University. However, what makes me wonder whether the school makes background checks of NEIU employees before hiring them and who have civil service positions and are supposed to care for the students’ safety instead of endangering their lives.

Me
Jun 13, 2013

Comments

• Me
      13th of Jun, 2013

13th of Jun, 2013

Northeastern Illinois University welcomes, accepts, respects and embraces a broad spectrum of students, faculty and staff in the life of the University. We foster and celebrate global perspectives both inside and outside of the classroom. Resources are available for individuals who believe they have experienced discrimination at Northeastern, and we encourage you to visit us in the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities, located in B-119, or at (773) 442-4610, or in the Office of University Outreach and Equal Employment, located in C-218, or at (773) 442-5416.

• Ps
      23rd of Jun, 2013

I am African American student, and I left Northeastern Illinois University in 2013. Instructors write lower grades to African American students than they do to white ones. To balance this racial discrimination, I have observed that over 80% of the African American students are abusive toward the white ones. I also would like to say that students do 99% of the work, and more than 80% of the instructors have not even read the textbook or don't know what it is about.

28th of Jul, 2013

Officer Galindo has also insult me when he stopped me and started asking me whether I am the ghost he saw in the cemetery where he visits his dead brother. Isn't that a crime for a cop to come to work when he is drunk or on drugs, or Northeastern does not do any psychological evaluations and just hires mentally ill people to protect the students and the community.

• Ne
      28th of Aug, 2013
    Best Best Advice +44 Votes

I am a student at Northeastern Illinois University and would like to report the unprofessional and discriminatory actions of Sergeant Rombount or Rombaut, officer Galindo, and the Chief toward the Hispanic and Latino students at the Northestern Illinois University.
    I went to the Northeastern police department at 8:20 p.m. to retrieve my stolen bike. After I left, Sergeant Rombout said behind my back” These [censored]g immigrants, Mexicans or whatever Central Americans they are.”

Also, one day I was in the locker room changing for the beginning of my extracurricular activities Rombaut came toward me and said to remove my car from the parking lot. He said that this has been an order of the Chief. However, I was told that at this time the Chief was not in charge of the parking so he had no authority to regulate the parking rules. At this time I was parked on level 1, and the Chief has told Rambaut to order me to park at Level 2. I removed my car to level 2 parking lot as I was told by Rombaut, but I do believe that Chief’s action was retaliation against me because of the grievance I wrote yerlier this year about the discriminatory actions of officer Galindo and Sergeant Rambaut. Further, the Chief allows his boys from Northeastern to park their car anywhere they want without a permits and does not tell them anything. Some officers also park their vehicles on Level one (behind PSO) without any permit at all, and the Chief does not tell them anything. At the time, I had level 2 permit. After the mentioned conversation with Rambaut, I purchase Level 1 permit for which I paid almost double so they won’t bother me anymore.
    The grievance report I made was because officer Galindo was kicking my shoes in the locker room and made a dent on them without any reason.

• Aa
      28th of Aug, 2013

Based on my personal experience, NEIU is not a good school at all. It is not taken seriously and majority of students there are not taking their education seriously.
    Like Texas State U, its NOTHING but frats and seemingly endless supply of 18 year olds who party a lot. I would say that NEIU is really not a place where a new person could meet people.
    Also North Park, Albany Park, or Jefferson Park are not safe at all. There is shooting almost every day. There are lots of gangs, and they kill each other all the time. Sometimes they shoot innocent people because they think that they are members of the gang which is their enemy. Based on my personal opinion, it's better to choose UIC, and the area there is much safer than the area around Northeastern. Also there is lots of racial tension in this school among the different ethnic groups, mainly blacks against white and people born in the U.S. against Europeans and Middle eastern, which includes staff and the police department.
    Students don't have enough homework to retain the information.
    Instructors provide feedbacks in several weeks about students' homework.
    Many students sign up for the same class, which does not provide students with the opportunity to receive the individual attention of the instructor whenever they need it.

Students party a lot. If you don't want to take your education seriously and want to party, you can come to NEIU.

It is not taken seriously by employers, and students don't get their money worth after they graduate.

not enough clubs and activities to accommodate students' needs and meet their interests.

• Sm
      30th of Aug, 2013

My impressions of NEIU were that it was comparatively inexpensive and held the bar low for student admissions. It's cheap, yes, but you only get what you pay for. The faculty here lacks focus and direction, and lectures meander into pointlessness far too often. It's easy to feel like you're sitting in adult day-care with the freshman lectures. Speaking of money - I advise any student attending NEIU to submit their student loan applications early. Like, half a year early. Trust me, you're not going to regret this. The financial aid office is, be it for staffing or whatever other reason, woefully unprepared to deal with the workload presented to them. For this reason it will take weeks, but more likely months to complete any loan processing. Let this be the single most important thing I can say in this review: get your financials in order as early as you possibly can.

I pay out of pocket and live on my own, so the price was right. I was willing to travel 1-2 hours each way every day after work. They have put me through so many circles. For months they have had me on the back burner, dragging me along, which left me barely any classes to choose from. I just got off the phone with them transferring me back and forth telling me they might have misspelled my name and I need to come in to finish registering. Coming in to register means I need to ask to leave early from work, which means I most likely cannot, which then means I can't go to school. Dealing with NEIU makes me want to cry

NEIU is better than Bert's College-O-Rama, but the term "higher learning" is applied here only with much generosity. University bureaucracy is a mess. Tuition is great but you may regret not having paid more for a better school elsewhere.

• Tb
      1st of Sep, 2013

The purpose of this complain is to report the juvenile behavior and marijuana- induced shenanigans of Sergeant Brehmer who is a friend of lieutenant Kruszynski. In fact, lieutenant Kruszynski hired Sergeant Brehmer, and that’s just one example of how the bureaucracy at Northeastern Illinois University works.

I am a male student, and I take evening classes. One late evening after class finished, Sergeant Brehmer stop me and asked me whether I would like to buy marijuana. He even started to taste the white package he showed me. I said that I don’t take marijuana. After couple minutes, he said that he will kill me if I ever tell someone that he has been selling drugs. He even said that after he kills me, he will drink a beer and take a piss on my grave after he kills me.

I was just ready to go away because I didn’t want to deal any more with the disrespectful behavior of this creep. However, he drag me to a police car with a gun pointed at my back. He said that if I don’t go in the car, he will shoot me in my liver, and I will die very slowly and feel lots of pain. So, I went in the car, and he started touching me everywhere including my private places. His excuse was that he is checking me if I have some illegal drugs or wear a gun to school. However, he looked to me like a homosexual pervert who is mentally ill. If he was checking me for drugs or a gun, why he said that I have a big ###, and he likes giving a blow-out to big ###. Just a suggestion for the students at Northeastern Illinois University: Always stay away from this guy because you never know what to expect from him. He is just using his power to do whatever he wants. He even does not care if he will break the law. The only reason he stays in his job and has been hired is because of connections, but he is a complete jerk and all he needs is to be sent to some mental hospital for mentally ill people. After I asked him several times to let me go because I had it enough, he started laughing. He said that’s how we do things around here. Get used to it, as I quote.

• Tr
      20th of Sep, 2013

I just would like to complain about Officer Galindo, who stopped me and started to insult me in the most disrespectful ways by talking without making any sense. Here it goes my true story. He said that there are demons in me who tell him to kill me. After I saw that he started taking out his gun, I ran away. When I went home, I told the story to my sister who is a doctor. I told it to her because I was afraid that I might get arrested for running away from a cop. My sister said that I did the right thing because this guy is not on himself. She said that there is a big chance that this guy might have one of the forms of schizophrenia since he showed to have the following symptoms: emotional blunting, intellectual deterioration, disorganized speech and behavior, delusions, and hallucinations. She also said that I should not get arrested for trying to protect my life. Based with my unpleasant encounter with officer Galindo, I would like to provide other students with the following advice: stay away from this guy and do not talk to him. He is CRAZY in the real sense of the world. If he started getting his gun once and for nothing, he will do it again. Remember: People's previous behaviors are sign about how they will behave in the future.

• Ro
      7th of Oct, 2013

I went to a test for one of the open positions at Northeastern Illinois University, and I scored 100 percent. However, they never called me for an interview although they said at the beginning of the test that they will invite to an interview everyone who has 100 percent on the test.

3rd of Nov, 2013

I agree that there is a racial discrimination at Northeastern Illinois University, and they prefer to hire black people instead of white one. I went to one of their tests for a position at Northeastern Illinois University, and there were only two white people. One of the white people was me, and everything else was black. The person who stayed in the room was black too. He was nicer to the black people and treated them with respect. However, he was very rude to the white people. I think his name was something like Davenport or something like that. In addition, when I went to human resources to apply for another job, the black lady over there was very rude to me. It seems there is some tension between black and white at Northeastern Illinois University. From my experience, I can conclude that black abuse and treat with disrespect the white students or employees at Northeastern Illinois University.