Neoset Canada / Furniture never delivered

1 2190 Bloor Street West, Unit BToronto, Ontario, Canada Review updated:
Phone: (416) 762-5555

I bought a bed from Neoset Canada on April 2008, and I fully paid for it from the very first day using my credit card; they told me it was going to take 6-8 weeks to get it.
On June 2008 (after 8 weeks from the moment I bought it) nobody had contacted me, so I called the store, and they said there was a delay, they asked me to be patient, and that the bed was going to be delivered by the end of July/08.
At the end of July, same thing happened, so they gave me a small discount to keep me happy. On August/08, being concerned, I called the Head Office, and talked to the President, Mrs. Eleanor Reynolds, who apologized and explained to me that the order was delayed on its way to Toronto, but she gave me "her word" I was getting it on Sept.27/08, and that I was going to receive a new discount (which I never got).
Needless to say, by mid-September nobody had contacted me, I called Mrs. Reynolds back and she told me the bed was discontinued and that I was not going to get it the way I ordered it, so she gave me other bed options different to the one I wanted in the beginning; none of them were satisfying.
With no other choice, she offered a refund (less the small discount they gave me), and I accepted it, but when I asked her who was going to be responsible for those 5 months of interest I had been paying on my credit card, she refused to honour them. She refunded just what I paid on April, less the discount given on July.
It was not my mistake to be informed the bed I wanted had been discontinued after 5 months of buying it, and fully paid for it!
This is just lack of responsibility, lack of commitment, lack of respect and lack of seriousness from Mrs. Reynolds and Neoset Canada.

Us

Comments

• Fo
      9th of May, 2009

Ellen Roseman TORONTO STAR -

Vicki Low ordered a computer desk from Neoset Canada last August.

Jenya Zukershtein ordered a desk and shelves from Neoset last June.

Both were told to expect delivery within six to eight weeks.

Months later, they had received neither their products nor their money back.

"I'm at my wit's end, " said Low, who paid in full ($573). "The head office has stopped returning my calls and the store on Jarvis St. has been unhelpful and unapologetic."

Zukershtein is still waiting for the refund and four months' interest on her $593 deposit that she was promised last December.

Neoset Canada has five company-owned stores in Toronto, which import modular furniture from Greece.

The Better Business Bureau gives the company an F rating (unsatisfactory), reflecting the number of complaints filed and lack of response to the complaints.

Owner Greg Pappas responded quickly to our intervention on behalf of the two customers.

He said Neoset's problems started a year ago, when Greek workers held rotating strikes to protest government plans to privatize container handling operations at two major ports.

This resulted in a backlog of containers headed overseas.

"We didn't receive any containers for 14 to 16 weeks and fell significantly behind, " Pappas said.

"We tried to communicate with customers, but the staff was not prepared to deal with it. This was my fault. There was no training plan."

As the strikes continued, Neoset started getting containers with orders only half complete.

"We kept falling farther behind, " Pappas said. "We fulfilled orders for customers who screamed the loudest."

Neoset has 170 stores in Greece, but sold its Toronto stores to Pappas two years ago.

The parent company started to care a bit less with the divesting of Canadian operations, he said. There was no need to ship across the ocean for its other stores.

"We didn't foresee the strikes or danger of having one supplier in a country that's going through some unrest.

"It was bad risk management on our part."

Yesterday, Pappas said he would process Zukershtein's refund within 24 hours.

He said Low could have her choice of getting a refund or her long-awaited desk – which had arrived in Canada, after all.

"It was not prioritized and was sitting in a pile of orders, " he admitted.

People can live with delays if told what's wrong and offered refunds. But if they're ignored, they contact newspapers and write nasty comments online.

• Fr
      11th of May, 2009

True customer (methinks not!!!)

Who is paying your wages?

The article above by Ellen Roseman appeared in the star in February. If you haven't understood, people are complaining legitimately about non-payment of wages, non-delivery of furniture, and more, all of which constitute violations of their contracts and business obligations. - get it? People have been hurt financially, and the company kept on taking money for orders that they knew weren't going to be delivered.

Do not trivialize other people's issues with how they were treated.

• Ym
      12th of May, 2009

Victims of NEOSET Canada:

I was also told -by both a Jarvis Store employee and by head office- that 'delays in shipping' were due to a port strike in Europe. No answer to my pointing out that the stuff I paid for came from QUEBEC. Last time I looked, there was no ocean between our two provinces. So, do not for one second believe the lies and excuses served up by Greg Pappas-type slime balls and collaborators. Fraud is fraud. Go after these people.

20th of May, 2009

Does anybody know if Eleanor Reynolds is back from Europe?

She promised me she was gonna get in touch with me in two weeks, three weeks ago. She said she was gonna give me better furniture at the same price if I was patient and didn't get my deposit back.

Anybody else in the same situation?

• Cs
      20th of May, 2009

chris schultz i am a cusotmer service rep for neoset and i can assure you that it was impossible for you to speak with eleanor reynolds and that she did not go to europe as you and some body else has indicated. she has not been working for neoset for many months now. she like others was an employee like myself.

if you have any questions about your order you need to speak with greg pappas the owner he is working hard on helping people. there is a sign on the headoffice that you can read yourself it states open saturdays gregpappas@rogers.blackberry.net if you need to contact him. The words expressed here are untrue and if there are mad ex employees you should try to work things out otherwise move on.

• Cs
      20th of May, 2009

i am responding to the many notices i am and have been helping many customers and staff solve issues at the company.
    what you are doing is wrong. if you have a greivance with the company deal with it in the right manner. if you are a customer visit the warehouse and present your problems we have been solving many problems. what you are saying here is wrong its lies. ... and does not help the company solve the real problems. i just posted a while ago and now reading many of your words i think you need to visit either your unemployement office or the labour board or contact the warehouse or head office for your product if you are a customer.

• Sc
      21st of May, 2009

This is becoming more interesting by the minute. the web of lies that Neoset threaded has no shame at all.

Now a "cusotmer service rep" appears all of a sudden to defend the company.

Isn't it strange that this CSR doesn't use caps at all, or has no sense of grammar?

Is it me, or a real CSR would never use a phrase like "you should try to work things out otherwise move on"?

Who are you really?, why are you so afraid to give us your real identity?

My recommendation to all of us, deceived by Greg Pappas and Eleanor Reynolds, is not to trust this user, as it looks like a phony account, same as "gregory pappas", and probably "TRUE CUSTOMER"

If you have time to read this board and post here, dear "csr", then be kind enough to take 5 precious minutes of your time and answer our e-mails... there's still lots of us waiting for answers from Neoset.

• Fu
      22nd of May, 2009

Furious2

Unbelievable! I thought I was the only who went through Neoset hell! Unfortunately, there are a few too many that have been where I have been. I myself purchased quite a few items from Neoset - Jarvis location back in August 2008 and was told 6 - 8 week delivery. As of November 2008 my furniture did not arrive. It did not come in December. I called the Jarvis location in January and was told the furniture was in the country (WTF??? I mean what does that really mean?). I made several attempts to reach Eleanor Reynolds and Greg Pappas by both e-mail and phone. As you well know no response to either. I did ask Mia from the Jarvis store for a refund for my deposit of $2500 which she told me she was unauthorized to do she would have to speak to HQ and promised me she would call within the week. She never called. My second attempt by phone was met with a similar answer. Eleanor nor Greg got back to her! Finally, I filed a complaint with the BBB and contacted MC to dispute the charge. I am still waiting as I had to write out all contacts I made with this company and the promises made to me when I would be getting my furniture as the time for the time of deposit and delivery date was over the alloted time frame for disputes I believe 90 days. However the supervisor said they would try and enter a different delivery date to keep within the time frame. I hope I get my money back as it sucks to have pay for something that you don't even have to enjoy. As for Greg, Eleanor and the rest of the Neoset gang I hope that you these complaints and understand the extent of what you have done. In saying that, always remember Karma is a ### and you will get yours.

• Ac
      23rd of May, 2009

I went to the head office today its closed.. they are out of business. GONE!

• Ne
      26th of May, 2009

Why am I not surprised?

Eleanor & Greg: Aren't you tired of playing over and over the same old tricks on your frustrated customers?

Phone numbers that are disconnected, a head office that is closed down for good, a directive travelling overseas, a warehouse that is empty, and e-mail addresses that doesn't work.

Stop the lies, and face the people with responsibility!!!
    If you were there for us when we gave you our money, why can't you be also to tell us the truth?

26th of May, 2009

I too is the victim of Neoset canada. I purchased a wall unit and was misled to put an almost full deposit of $1200 at the Mississauga store in September 2008. The sale person was Ameet who pretended to be helpful just to get your $$. after when i learned that I was disatisfied with the purchase a week later, I went back and demanded money back. he said it was too late as the order was processed. I waited until December for them to delivered partial pieces. They told me that the porter strike in Greece is causing the delay and they will contact me to deliver the rest at a later date. By the way they took my money in full within 2 weeks. I tried to call the warehouse and the store 4 times without a return call. In March 2009, ammet emailed me and said that someone will contact me. No one did. I tried again 3 weeks ago and found out that all numbers had been disconnected. i went to the store a few days ago and found out it is now closed. I took the advise of some customer and contacted my AmeX and they told me that the dispute is invalid as the purchase was made more than 90 days. I don't know what to do now. I will file a complaint with the BBB. We should not let them get away with stealing $$ from people. I am sure the employees knew it was going under, and still push business. Their trick was you have to purchase it today and put down the deposit as i will give you the 15% off today and only today. I will never be this naive again and never pay for anything until it is fully delivered. any ideas of how to go about getting the refund back???

• Ga
      12th of Jun, 2009

you can get a refund from your credit card company even if it's past the 30 day mark. just keep on calling and speak to different people, including the supervisor.

• Ri
      4th of Jul, 2009

been also taken advantage of and ripped off

purchased items to complete daughter's bedroom with existing neoset furniture in april 2008 and after many times listening to excuses from store and company staff, been ripped off over 1400 dollars

• Re
      29th of Jul, 2009

I finally received my $1450 refund of my Neoset deposit from TD Visa after their 6 week investigation on this charge to my Visa bill. Credit card seems to be the only way to get money back since Greg Papas did not answer any of the numerous messages I left for him. I made my purchase back in September 2008!!

In my first calls to Visa, they told me I was way past the 3 month deadline to file a complaint to have them investigate. It was not until I called back many times and asked to speak with a supervisor and sent her copies of correspondence with Neoset, the bill documents and copies of this forum and articles in the Star, they finally agreed to investigate. Their investigation gives the merchant 6 weeks to answer to the alegations of improper charges. If they don't respond, Visa posts the money back to your account.

I also poasted a complaint with the Consumer Protection Branch of the Government of Ontario. This was a waste of time (as is most things with government organizations) as they only called me to inquire about the incident and said they would get back to me. They are powerless and only attempt to mediate with the merchant, and anly if they get enough complaints.

Good luck everyone, and take heed not to put down large deposits on items unless you do it with your credit card and you ensure you get delivery within the three month valid complaint period!