National Home Protection / Fraud and scam

1 42 West 38th St.New York, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-800-608-6045

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!! We learned the hard way and wasted 458.90 on a USELESS home warranty from this company. We were eight months into our coverage before we had our first claim and they did not pay, telling us they needed service records on an item in our air conditioning unit that could have no way have been prevented from breaking - a control board. I had to fix it myself - $395.00. They would not pay and would not call me back. The next week our water heater started leaking everywhere. Same story, give us the maintenance records. Once again they would not pay.

If anyone does start a class action suit against this company, count me in. They are crooks!!!

Lisa Richmond
Tampa, FL.

Comments

• As
      10th of Jul, 2008

Unfortunately I started my research online too late, based on the cheapest quote online I got suckered into giving out my personal info to the sales agent who sold the policy to me stating complete refund in the first 30 days if the terms and conditions are not satisfactory and a prorated refund anytime after. He also state I was not going to be charged until I reviewed the terms and conditions that would be mailed to me and I agreed to the policy. Alarmed by the number of scam reports I called to cancel the policy which had not even kicked in, the agent told be the manager would return the call that never happened for 3 days, when I call backed and demanded a manager, he first said he would refund the money subject to a administrative charge then he put me on hold, came back and stated that the policy is non refundable completely! Im now disputing the charge thro my credit card based on misrepresentation of facts and fradulent charges. My question is how does this company recruit its employees, do they advertize "positions available for liars and conmen"???
    AS

10th of Aug, 2008

I agree I am getting the attorny general involved, These people are the lowest of lowest and keep changing their names, Can you imagine the quality of a person who would be an employee of an organization like this (-: can you say ###

10th of Aug, 2008

EVERYONE NEEDS TO SEND COPIES OF THESE LETTERS AND "LINKS TO OTHER [redacted]S ABOUT THIS COMPANY TO THE AUTHORITIES. WE NEED TO BRING THIS COMPANY DOWN THEY ARE THEIVES

• Kr
      14th of Aug, 2008

National Home Protection is a complete fraud. They do not honor their warranty, are rude on the phone when you call in a claim, hang up on you, and do not call you back. My AC unit needed repair, and they refused to fix it because we had "mismatched systems." Their warranty states they can refuse to pay if "the mismatched systems were the reason for the repair." However, they do not stick by their word - they used this as the excuse for not repairing the AC unit, even though the mismatched systems was NOT the reason for the repair.

• Ve
      20th of Aug, 2008

These guys are scammers. I first contacted them when my previous policy was set to expire, in Dec. 2007. Like others here, I too was enamored of their low quote and signed up. I think their neutral and commonplace name (National Home) lulled me into a false sense of security and, without researching them, I signed up.

In April 2007, I had a problem with my garage door, which the mechanic they sent traced to the track assembly. He said it wasn't installed correctly and went on to promptly re-install the motor and assembly to the ceiling. He called National Home after he was done and they denied the claim. When I called, they said they do not cover "improper installations", and that was it. I felt them stonewalling me, and being very curt and ever-ready to hang up at the slightest touch of frustration in my voice.

Right from the beginning, I felt that they were scammers.

Now, just last week, my garage door opener stopped working. The guy they sent out to look at it told me that National Home Protection is the worst of them all, and that he has seen them deny claims on the slightest of technicality. As I write this, and read all the other posts out here and on scammer.com, I am increasingly starting to doubt if my present claim could be rejected on the grounds that there was a "pre-existing" condition. Let us see how they handle this present claim.

I understand home warranty is not home insurance, and so companies like National Home Protection are probably below the radar of state insurance regulators. I am a law student, and know that complaints such as ours can easily catch up with scammers like NHP and result in a class-action lawsuit.

I will definitely be calling in my credit card company (VISA) to file a fraud dispute, and also be reporting this to my local BBB. As to legal action, if there is a lawyer reading this thread, I would be more than happy to join in a suit against the dishonest folks at NHP.

Stay away from these leeches.
    --Venkat