Movie Gallery / Account sent to collections without any notice of debt

1 Pleasant Hill, MO, United States Review updated:

Movie Gallery is now turning account holders over to collections for alledged unreturned rentals and unpaid late fees. This is the same thing that is happening to Hollywood Video customers. I received an alert from my credit monitoring service that I had a potentially negative report posted to my Experian credit report on November 14, 2010. Upon further investigation, I learned that Movie Gallery was the originator of this claim being posted by National Credit Solutions out of Oklahoma City. This negative report shows that I opened an account in October, 2010 and owed $122.00. My Movie Gallery account is certainly not new and has been active many years. Having this negative issue on my bureau has dropped my credit score nearly 100 points. I have not received any notice of unreturned items and have not used this account since early 2010. I do not have details of what they are accusing me of, but I do know that all rentals were returned on time to the businesses drop box inside the store. This store has been closed for about six months now. This looks to be a terrible scam on many account holders of the Movie Gallery/Hollywood Video stores. I will be sending a dispute letter to Experian as a first attempt to correct this false accusation. I will also make my state's attorney general aware of this consumer fraud.

Comments

22nd of Nov, 2010

Same thing just happen to me in fact I checked with hollywood video befor they closed and they said I was in good standing now I got this thing from NCS stating I owe them 236 dollars. I called them and they said I need to pay or this will never come off my record. i feel like this is a total scam.

• Le
      23rd of Nov, 2010

The same thing just happened to me, as well. Is there anything that can be done about this?

• Ke
      27th of Nov, 2010

This happened to me as well!!! OMG. I have disputed it off my credit report and am waiting for the results. I haven't been to Movie Gallery in over a year.

27th of Nov, 2010

I filed a complaint with the bbb and the FTC this company hopes we as consumers are to lazy or dumb to take action, please file complaints against them or they will never change their ways.

• Ka
      29th of Nov, 2010

Yes, this is exactly what has happened to me. This seems to have scam written all over it. I too have disputed this collection account with Experian. If I owed this debt, I would pay it just like ALL other debt I have ever incurred. I do not owe Movie Gallery anything. Movie Gallery does, however, owe some appologies for whatever has transpired to cause this mess.

29th of Nov, 2010

I think it's funny they made no attempt to contact me, if i didn't have a monthly credit check I would have never known about this. I had to make first contact after they posted negitive information on my credit report, Even if they take this off my credit report I will follow up with the Fair Trade Comission to have National credit Solutions investigated. It seems this is more wide spread than I first thought. I think they are buying false debts and attacking people with good scores. It's a shame I need to spend all this time on these crooks. They hope to bully people around and scare them into paying for fake debts to save their credit, being a combat vet I really wish I could meet these cowards face to face. At 236 dollars, I would pay that today if i owed it but I will not let them extort me on the fear of hurting my credit. Can we start a class action law suit on these guys? If so I would join that, it sounds like this is happening a bit to much for a isolated incident.

• Ke
      29th of Nov, 2010

I contacted the South Carolina Department of Consumer Affairs today (I live in SC) and they urged me to file a complaint against National Credit Solutions (NCS). NCS told me today, per the rep I spoke with, that they are not legally obligated to contact us with these debts. They had my correct phone number and address on file and said they DO NOT have to contact me. She also told me she was POSITIVE they never even tried to contact anyone. Don't pay them money. This sounds like a scam. They couldn't even provide me with proof of whether the movie I rented was returned late or not returned at all. They are charging me the full price of the movie 12 Rounds which they saw is $99.28. There is no way one movie costs that much money! They say if I pay it they will remove my account from my credit report and credit back the 76 points they took off my credit score. They also said that every friday until it is paid my credit score could continue to decline. I'm in the process of speaking with a lawyer about my rights. Even though this is a small amount of money, I still won't pay them a dime without legal advice!

• Se
      30th of Nov, 2010

I wish I had read all of these posts before I just paid my $99.28...did not receive contact from ANYONE about this, now a year later it's on my credit report? I only found out because I have monthly credit report monitoring and my credit is spotless - this is how they get people. Because most of us actually do care and pay our bills so we want these things taken care of so we just pay the money!! Now I'm angry I didn't check it out before just paying them.

1st of Dec, 2010

Helppp This same thing is happening to me with same credit bureau
    you are speaking..the rep said I had to pay 92 dollars for "fees" on a 17 dollar debt I never even knew I had IN FACT last time I had a call from Movie Gallery (over a year ago they said I had a free rental due to me)!!!HELP I am in Mississippi who to contact my credit score is down and would have never know unless I checked w/Experian like I do yearly.I called Experian they acted like it was legit?? Bull this is fraud know one was sent anything no bill no statement nada...The collection guy said they don't have to in some states.

1st of Dec, 2010

look take the time and file a complaint with the FTC and the BBB and follow thru. dispute the charge, if we file enough complaints with the ftc the will be investigated. This seems to be a scam, Don't let them get you. Go to the FTC website and file a complaint on these guys, if enough people file they will be investigated.
    National Credit Solutions
    ADDRESS: PO Box 15779
    Oklahoma City, OK 73155-0779

PHONE: 405 619-3630

1st of Dec, 2010

They did the same thing to me. We should start a class action lawsuit. We all need to complain to the attorney general, BBB and the FTC.
    Everyone we can complain to. they are many laws they broke with thier lies.
    Class Action

• Ka
      2nd of Dec, 2010

I have the same problem they say I owe 118.00 I have written to the attorney general and to the better business bureau. You can write them online, everyone needs to complain. I have a good credit score never had anything negative on my credit until now. I was never contacted. Like all of you i found out because of my credit protection, nobody ever called me! This is ridiculous!

• Ta
      2nd of Dec, 2010

The same thing has happened to me ! I plan to contact my lawyer and file a complaint with the FTC. Shame on Movie Gallery and National Credit Solutions for this scam. Movie Gallery filed bankruptcy and they have no right to try to recoup their losses like this. This is bad business !!

3rd of Dec, 2010

Same thing here people. They charged me for 5 movies we returned. $145 total. I would rather pay a lawyer $1000 dollars before I pay $1 to these people. I have a feeling movie gallery falsely inflated their receivables with these bogus charges to sell them for a higher $$$ to NCS. Maybe if we all chip in for a good lawyer, we can slam these guys.

• Te
      3rd of Dec, 2010

Same thing happened to us. $99 put on our credit report. NCS told my husband there was nothing we could do but pay it.
    This is a scam. We are going to keep following these posts for suggestions and start with the BBB.

6th of Dec, 2010

OK People. I have filed a complaint with the BBB and the FTC. PLEASE DO SO ALSO! My credit score dropped from 730 to 650 in the middle of a refi on my house! They are charging me for 5 DVDs that my wife returned back in Jan of 2010. If anyone is interested in a lawyer, I will go in on it. This has my blood boiling!

6th of Dec, 2010

Also, Please call NCS and talk to Eva Smith, extension 137. Tell her that you refuse to pay, the information is false, and you have filed a complaint. Please don't be rude, she is very nice(for a collection agent.) I just want NCS to know that they can't collect on these bogus debts out of fear for your credit score. I have a feeling Movie Gallery is the real scammer on this. They falsely inflated their receivables and sold them to NCS, then NCS blindsides people by dropping the credit score and people pay out of fear and panic.

8th of Dec, 2010

OK folks, here is an update. I found another post that led me to something called a Debt Validation letter which I have sent to NCS via USPS with a return receipt. They have 30 days to give me all the details of the debt including the original contract, detailed charges, fees, etc... if the do not, they have to remove this from my credit report. I will try and post the link here.

www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/debt_validation.shtml

• Ra
      9th of Dec, 2010

The same thing happened to me yesterday. My credit monitoring service notified me of a negative entry on my credit report. I was never notified by anyone that I owe anything. I talked to NCS twice. They are charging me 122 dollars for a video game that I returned. At first they said that I didn't return it and then they said I returned it but kept it over 17 days. That is not true. Can a collection agency put something on your credit report without first notifying you that you owe the debt? Something definitely needs to be done about this! What can we do?

• Sn
      10th of Dec, 2010

I guess i just joined the boat with you all. I just went to purchase a home and was told that this was on my report, when i called, they told me i had late fees, and i owed them 123 and they were very rude to me about. i know i could not of had any late fees because i had a membership with them which i could keep the movie as long as i wanted. The membership fee came out of my checking account automatically for sure this is a scam. they told me by law that they didn't send me any information of this. if there's anyone out there that can help please reply.