Movie Gallery / Customer Service

1 401 North Main Street, Marion, NC, United States Review updated:
Phone: (828) 659-0040

First, I would have made a formal compliant if I had found a customer relations address on your site. I visited your store the week of December 14, 2009 and made two rental purchases; I was told upon checkout the movies would be due back to the store on December 21, 2009. I returned the movies to the Marion location on that date at 12:19pm and was told I had a late fee of $11.83. The person working the desk was not very pleasant either, but she really has never been nice to me. I paid the fees but feel I was not responsible as the movies were returned on time according to my original checkout by the person at the desk that day. I would also like to add if the employees spent less time on their cell phones and more time helping customers the store would benefit and Movie Gallery would not have to close more locations as has been the case in the past.

Comments

• Ap
      Jan 28, 2010

All of Movie Gallery's rentals (at least at every store I have worked at) are 5 night rentals. That is the rule of thumb. If you returned your movies on the 21st, you were way past due. Sorry about your trouble, but just remember that it is always five days. Sometimes employees make mistakes, or you could have even heard wrong, so always ask for a receipt and it will have your due date listed.

Feb 19, 2010

AprilD,

Some of the Movie Gallery's have changed to 2 day / 7 day rental. The default is 2 days, but one could upgrade to the 7 day for about $2 extra.

Also this customer states that they rented on the WEEK OF the 14th, to me they seem unsure of they date they rented, however they could very well be within the 5 day period.

Irish,

Receipts dont print unless it is on a powerplay account (which this one is obviously not), or if a customer asks for it.

Cloud,

I would have suggested talking to the rude employee and telling them to check your rental history (shift-F6), the employee would have been able to see exactly what day the movies were rented, and what day they were due back. Since everything is logged in the computer chances are the mistake that was made was on your end. You should clarify how many days you are renting by how much you are paying (for $5.91 a movie I would guess thats the standard rental period 2 or 5 days). It is very possible the person working the counter may have thought they were a day ahead and told you the wrong day, but as the rental agreement states, you are responsible for returning the movies on time, and you are responsible for any fees accumulated on the account.

My suggestion for the future, dont depend on the staff to tell you when your movies are due, know when your movies are due (Take the day you rent and add 2, 5, or 7 depending on your rental period).

• Jh
      Apr 22, 2010

I went into the Clinton, OK Movie Gallery today to rent AVATAR and found out they were closing. I asked about my 3 Month Pre-Paid PowerPlay status and how to process a refund. The member of management was absolutely no help. I have spent 10 years in retail and have never been treated this way. She was from a Texas Movie Gallery. I have been through one bankruptcy and two buyouts in retail and never gave this type of customer service. She also spent all of her time on the phone talking to other stores about the Clinton, OK employees being terminated, their salaries, and unemployment benefits. I can't wait to resolve my membership issue and move on. Sometimes it helps to keep it local, so when businesses close you are still given repsect intead of just being screwed.

• Jh
      Apr 22, 2010

I did not personally go bankrupt I worked for Software Etc.../Babbages/Funcoland/GameStop/EB for 7 years and The Limited for 3 years. I remember closing stores in metropolitan areas I just don't remember the poor customer service or talking about it on the sales floor. Thank you for the negative comments. All comments are appreciated.

• Hv
      Apr 23, 2010

JHiLoK-

I apologize for the level of customer service you may have received at the store level and would like to help you resolve this issue.

Please contact Movie Gallery's Customer Relations department at 1-877-325-8687 for a prorated refund of any unused PowerPlay credits. We are open daily 8am - 7pm (PST).

Wes W.
    Customer Relations
    Movie Gallery Inc.

• Re
      Jun 25, 2010

I have contacted the 877 number and was treated terribly. The guy that talked to me basically said I was not going to be compensated and that he knew the company has messed over 1000's of people. I think it is absolutely pathetic that a customer server number would allow people to work for them that completely disrespect their customers and tell them there is no one else they can talk to, or no supporting documentation on the court case that he referred to as the reason we were not going to get compensated.
    Very disappointed,
    Redlady7747

• Cl
      Aug 15, 2010

Well I guess I won't have to worry about it now as the place has gone belly up. I couldn't be happier to see the dump close. I also like the fact that the rude employees have now moved into the unemployment lines to add to McDowell's 11% unemployment rate. I guess I got the last laugh after all. I hope the rest of the Movie Gallery stores across the United States crash and burn in hell soon. No place in America for this kind of rude behavior.