Movie Gallery / Rip OFF Scam

1 Frankfort, KY, United States Review updated:

Movie Gallery on my credit report saying i owe them over $100.00 !!! Last time I went in to rent i was told they were going out of business and couldn't rent unless I was in Powerplay program, which I wasn't because I wanted nothing to do with them pulling money out of my bank account so I left and rented nothing ...They go out of business and 2 months later they have put me into a supposed collection agency, no phone call, no letter, nothing just sent to collections, took my credit score down 78 points and I owe them nothing, How can this be legal ?????They had horrible store management go out of business and trying to rip off previous customers...PRETTY LOW !!! Now I get to fight for how long to get rid of this when it was never owed to begin with...Isn't there something we can do ??????

Ke
Sort by: Date | DownRating

Comments

• Bo
      23rd of Nov, 2010

I'm having the exact problem. I received an alert on my credit report this week telling me I owed $111.76 to a collection bureau. When I called it was about two movies that I rented from movie gallery in August of 2009. It also dropped my credit score 77 points and mine has always been perfects. I remember renting the movies and I also remember returning them. On top of that my best friend worked at the location i rented them from and any time I've ever had a late fee he usually let me know or just took care of it in the system so there is no way those charges should have accumulated without me knowing about it. And yes I rented movies since that date and no one ever called or mentioned it on subsequent visits.

My thoughts on this...after closing down I think Movie Gallery took one last stab at getting a few dollars out of it's customers. Let's take a few movies from a year ago, change the records to show they were late, wait long enough til people probably threw away their receipts and WHAMO...turn it over to a collections agency and get paid about 10, 000 times over. I mean could you imagine if they did that to a quarter of their customers at even $20 or $30 a pop? That's a nice little parting bonus and on top of that the company doesn't even exist anymore...how convenient.

Here's what I did, I had to suck it up and pay it. I know it sucks but Movie Gallery has been paid and they don't exist. You're dealing strictly with a collections agency now and they have records showing dates, exact movie titles and if they dug deep enough even the original late fees before collection fees were tacked on. Whether all of that was made up or not is hard to prove. What did I have to back up that fact that I paid my fees? Ummmm...well I know I did, and my friend works there...that's about it. I might have a bank statement showing I paid some amount of money to them around that time but that could be anything. There's just no way I was paying a lawyer to look into something that I could make go away for $100 and if you're smart and you care about your score you'll do the same thing. Now what I would like to do after the fact is hopefully find some way to contact what's left of movie gallery and rip them a few new ###s and see if I can get my money back but that's probably not going to happen. I'd even settle for finding some top CEO's and just beating them bloody just to make me feel better but that's about all that will satisfy me now.

23rd of Nov, 2010

I just found out today I had been sent to a collection agency by Movie Gallery also over a late fee apparently on an X-Box 360 game that I rented last year. I NEVER received any type of call or letter asking me to pay my late fee if I even had one. I contacted the colllection agency also and they basically told me I had to pay it also. I don't know what is going on if it is a scam or not but I think I will be contacting a lawyer. Movie Gallery went out of business and there is no way to contact anyone with the company. Please help!

• Ke
      27th of Nov, 2010

I just filed a complaint about this today on here. I just found out the same thing. Don't pay them any money if you know you don't owe anything! They claim I owe $99 which is HIGHLY inaccurate. I've disputed it on my credit report and am waiting for experian to give me the results of my dispute. This has dropped my credit score almost a 100 points! I haven't rented from this company in over a year and never returned anything late ever! I only went there a handful of times.

• Am
      28th of Nov, 2010

Same thing just happened to me!!! Saying i owe $96.00 !!! No letter, no phone call, and we couldn't figure out who the hell it was from! Took my credit score down 150 points and we are trying to buy a house! Not anymore! Hell no!! They will not get this one over on me!!!

• Am
      28th of Nov, 2010

And contact your local attorney general also to file a consumer complaint!

• Lu
      19th of Jan, 2011

Same exact situation here in MS as all of the above!!! The only way we found out this had happened was when we recently pulled our yearly credit report! According to Experian, it had been placed with the same debt collection agency mentioned above, and reported to them in OCTOBER!!! We NEVER received a letter, a phone call, nothing from Movie Gallery nor this debt collection agency! We disputed the report with Experian and they removed it from the credit report. Just today, 3 months after the fact, we receive a letter from debt collector!! We owe Movie Gallery nothing, we will not pay this bogus charge, and will be filing complaints with BBB, Attorney General, and FTC... Maybe if we all complain enough, something might be done about this!

• Co
      30th of Jan, 2011

Tass and Lurby- Please fight this and Experian will remove it.

C

• Co
      19th of Dec, 2010

I researched this on the Internet and found we are not alone. See Below----

If you owe it, pay it; if Not
    Go Here and Create a Debt Validation Letter. Learn about your rights and send a letter to NCS using the template VIA certified Mail Immediately. http://www.creditinfocenter.com/forms/sampleletter9.shtml
    or http://aaacreditguide.com/credit-repair-letters/validation-letters/ or www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/debt_validation.shtml
    Read This and Know Your Rights: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre27.pdf and http://www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/debt_validation.shtml
    Call Experian at: 1-866-853-0303 IMMEDIATELY
    Call The Federal Trade Commission at: 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357)
    Go here: http://www.ag.ky.gov/civil/consumerprotection/ for your Kentucky Attorney General and File a Complaint with Consumer Protection
    Lastly- File A Complaint with the Oklahoma Better Business Bureau

• Ta
      22nd of Jan, 2011

The same thing just happened to me. I close my movie gallery account over two year ago after returning all moview rented. They claim that it is for a May 2010 rental but the Movie Gallery in my area had gone out of business by May 2010. This is a terrible scame that only Experian will report. Something needs to be done about Experian as well as NCS and Movie Gallery. I am irrate and appalled that these individuals can do this!!!