Mountain Area Communications / Fraud

1 po box 3218Peoria, IL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-866-8543

I have tried and tried to cancel my account only to find out to my disbelief that they want to me to pay $1000 for all these magazines and I'm not even getting all the one's I wanted.
They lied to me about how much to pay a month. They told me $3.99 a week...so $15.96 a month. Not bad huh? Yea until I got a bill for $49.90 a month. I tried to cancel but they won't let me. They're rude. I hung up on them once out of frustration only to find they called me back and said I don't appriciate you hanging up in my face. Who from a company actually calls you back to say that? They claim they never told me I could cancel my account for $99 fee. They said they never said that.
I'm frustrated and want out.

Comments

• Od
      20th of Dec, 2008

I also had exactly the same experience. Mountain Area Communications co-worsed my son on the phone to purchase magazines. When we tried to cancel the order, they were rude and stated we had a contract to pay the full amount of $300.00. They continue to take money out of our checking account beyond the $300.00 and stated if we cancel this transaction, we would be reported to the credit bureau. I spoke to an attorney about this and they stated how much it would cost to settle this and the amount was extranomical. I am between ad rock and a hard place. How can companies get away with this ????? I am beyond furious. What can I do?

• Od
      20th of Dec, 2008

I know what you mean the same thing happened to me, exactly. This company should be shut down and I am going to see to it with my Attorney General's Office.

• Fa
      4th of Feb, 2009

Dedicated employee-we are not insecure people, we are people that have busy lives each day and get a call from somebody saying we got a 500 dollar shopping spree, of course we are going to listen to it. I actually have a life and was busy doing other things that day, I was NOT told that I had to pay all that money. I was told only one payment of 39.90 and I would be paying it ahead of time for all the months. And that I'd get this 500 dollar online shopping spree. Well, I did, but I also got 700 dollars worth of charges. So really, you guys just scammed me and got an EXTRA 200 dollars from me. Thank you for your service-NOT!!!

4th of Feb, 2009

I am an employee and let me break this down for you. I am going to try to make this where you can understand it okay...NOW LISTEN...$49.90 for so many months not the whole time. When you were transferred to the gift department they explain this where even my 7 year old can understand it. Here is my suggestion for you when you get another call offering you a great deal like my company did< you should do this. 1.Tell them to hold on. 2.Tell everyone in your home to step outside. 3. Turn all appliances and electronics off or anything that makes noise...you can even unplug your refridgerator for just a few minutes...food will stay good that long. 4. Get a paper and pen and go to a closet where there is good lighting, and get back on the phone, and 5. This is very important okay are you listening, cause this is the simplest part of it all...you ready... "PAY ATTENTION!!!" and thats all there is to it, do you have any questions. Listen folks MAC is offering you a great deal to save on magazines and to recieve a shopping spree and all you have to do to understand is listen. If they were doing what all these people that have nothing better to do than talk negative about people are saying I would not be a part of it. Those people need to quit being so insecure about themselves and take a second to listen. I hope everyone gets a chance to enjoy what we have to offer. Everyone have a great day, and I will pray for you insecure people!

YOU GO GIRL I TO AM AN EMPLOYEE THERE AN ALL U HAVE 2 DO IS PAY ATTENTION THEY PUT U THRU A THREE STEP PROCESS THE SALES PERSON, THE MGR AN THEN A COMPUTER RECORDING WHERE U HAVE TO SAY HOW MANY PYMTS U HAVE HOW LONG IT WILL B AND HOW LONG U WILL REC. MAGS U R PAYIN 3MOS AT A TIME FOR 20 MOS AN GETTIN MAGS FOR 60 THE G.C. IS A THANK U FOR PURCHASIN THE MAGS OUR COMPANY PURCHASES THOSE AS A THANK U FOR PARTICIPATING WHICH THE SALES PERSON TELLS U ALSO WE CANT CONTROL WHT THEY HAVE ON THE WEBSITE FURTHER MORE IF U DONT LIKE THE MAGS UR RECIEVIN U CAN ALWAYS CHG THEM UNLESS U R BEHIND ON UR BILL IT ALSO TAKES 8-12 WEEKS TO MAKE CHGS: ADDRESSES, MAGS, SO AN SO WE CANT JUS CHG UR ORDER IN ONE DAY SO NEXT TIME U GET ONE OF THESE CALLS PAY ATTENTION AN LISTEN

oh yea they also tell u tht u CANNOT CANCEL PAY ATTENTION

• Cm
      2nd of Mar, 2009

THIS IS A FRAUD!
    I recieved a phone call stating that I had won a 500.00 online shopping spree. I started asking questions. They stated that VISA had sold them my info. They kept telling they needed more info so I told them I was not interested and hung up the phone. I called VISA and was told that this is not true and since I am only a VISA debit card they don't even carry any of my info. I called my bank and was informed that the only time any third party gets a card holders info is if the card holder applies for credit through any other company. Since I have not done this I know that this is a complete falacy and these people are lying!
    Just beware and NEVER EVER give out your credit card or any other info!

• Le
      2nd of Mar, 2009

You who "claim" to be employees of this are just as criminal as your company. You told my wife that it would be $35 TOTAL! All of a sudden $49.90 comes out of our checking acct. She tried many times to cancel, but YOU wouldn't listen to her. Who in their right mind would be paying almost $50 for magazines that you don't want and they were old issues to boot? You guys must be able to sleep at night knowing your job is to swindle people out of money by saying one thing and do another.

26th of Mar, 2009
    Mountain Area Communications - Cancelling Service
    Mountain Area Communications
    Tennessee

I think it's awesome how if you try to call them back to cancel, the phone is busy ALL DAY LONG.

• Ms
      15th of Apr, 2009

Well i have to disagree with all ya'll because i work there in sneedville tn and it is not a scam you do receive the magazines you want you can change them as often as you like at no additional cost they tell you from the get go that you cant cancel so all of ya'll who want to talk ### can kiss our ###

• Ka
      20th of Apr, 2009

I was told that I won a 1000$ gift certificate because of the Visa Points Rewards Program, and it was because I "swipped" my cards enough to get the points, then after hearing about all of this magazine ### I said to keep the gift certificate and that I did not want any magazines or some kind of payment scam crap...SO what I want to know how the hell I said nevermind to the chick on the phone, to cancel everything before I even signed up and the very same night I am looking at a 40 dollar charge to my account...If this does not get resolved, my brother is an attorney and I will sue you guys for fraud, false advertisement, and using my personal information for monetary gain without my conceit...in other words, thievery. Everyone that works for this place should seriously question their morals because you should all rot in hell for pulling a scam like this.

• Zi
      23rd of Apr, 2009

Actually they say that they show you have preferred customer status with one or more of your major credit cards. If they actually had your cc info they woulddnt ask you if you even had one they would already know. It is a sales tactic.

• St
      17th of May, 2009

The SAME thing happened to me. They called and told me that I won a 1000 dollar shopping spree and all I needed to do was buy some magazines for $40.00 a month for 20 months. After I got off the phone I added it up and it would be 800 dollars for magazines that I wouldn't ever read! So I tried calling back and they wont even answer...I have to find a way to cancel this before they start taking money from my account!

• De
      23rd of May, 2009

i dont know where the hell u [censored] people get one payment out of u pay $49 each month and only 4 the 1st 20 months maybe if u r ###ing stupid enough 2 give ur personal information out in the 1st place then maybe u should try to listen a little harder. i know if i was going 2 give my credit card no. out then i would listen 2 every word they said and also if u r dumb enough 2 give ur social, credit card, or any other personal info out then thats ur own goddamn fault. i think its pretty sad that people give personal info out at their own free will and then want 2 blame someone else 4 it so next time u want 2 place the blame on someone else 4 ur own mistakes try not 2 be so ###ing stupid about it. . . oh and as we say at MAC HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!

• De
      23rd of May, 2009

1st of all its $3.85 a week not 3.99 and we explain 2 every person we talk 2 its a 60 month service and u only have to pay 4 the first 20 months thats why its 49 to help the customers so they dont have 2 pay 4 them 4 so long and all u [censored]es who think its a ripoff next time u r at a store look at the mag prices hell u pay more than 3.85 4 one issue on most mags at the store so if u buy 2 issues a week that cost $4 a piece then figure it up if u r so smart u just bought 8 magazines and paid about $32 in one month we give u 6 a month of any kind for 49 and u can change them every month if u want to i dont think u can go back to the store and say u didnt like it and change it out yeah it sounds like a lot of money $49 a month but u get any mags u want 4 5 yrs. and u dont even pay the last 40 months (by the way 4 all of u ###ing stupid people thats 3 yrs. and 4 months) if u dont want 2 pay 4 magazines y in the hell would u give any credit or debit card info?

• He
      1st of Jun, 2009

Ok, I have a question. Why would you offer something to people, tell them they're paying one price and that they're getting all sorts of gifts and what not, but not allow them to cancel if it turns out to be something they don't want? It has been about 2 weeks since I did this so called order and have not received any magazines, or my $1000 gift certificate which I was told I would receive in 3-5 business days. If you do not have a way to cancel the service, then it is a scam. You are calling people who you know have a busy life, and have better things to do. You're reeling them in with what you call a "great deal", then you're taking there money. I will most certainly be calling this company this evening, and speaking my mind...and if I have to I will get my "company" involved which happens to be the United States Navy. They don't take kindly to fraudulent money issues.

• In
      4th of Jun, 2009

This is the biggest scam ive seen in a while. I knew i was already stuck with the bill after reading everyones blogs. So I called them anyways to see if i could change the magazines and the lady was straight up just ignorant to me. I am thinking on going to talk to my military lawyer about this I will keep evryone posted to see were i get.

4th of Jun, 2009

YES, THEY ###ED ME OVER TOO!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!! I DO NOT KNOW HOW THEY CAN KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH THIS SAME SCAM!!! FIRST THEY TELL YOU THAT YOU HAVE WON A 1, 000.00 SHOPPING SPREE,
    THEN THEY TALK ALL THIS VERY CONFUSING CRAP, THEN GO IN FOR THE KILL!!! I CANCELLED THE WHOLE WORKS RIGHT AWAY AND JUST AS EVERY COMPLAINT SAYS...
    ...!!! UN BELIEVABLE!!!

7th of Jun, 2009

hm

7th of Jun, 2009

The reason you cannot cancel the order is because we pre-pay the magazines for you right after you go through the verification process. That's how we can guarantee our rates to never increase. It is $3.85 per week for our service for a full 60 months but who seriously wants to pay for something for 5 years? Especially a weekly charge. You're looking at around 240 payments of the $3.85. So we bundle it up to make it affordable. Most people can afford an extra $49.90 a month. So we figured it up that if you pay $49.90 a month for only 20 months(1 year and 8 months) then it's paid in full so the other 40 months(3 years and 4 months) you pay nothing because your account is already paid in full. The publishers who produce the magazines have a no return and no refund policy so if you cancel the order for free, we are stuck with hundreds of dollars we've already paid out for your service that you agreed to pay on a recorded tape.

As for not receiving your magazines after 2 weeks since your order, the verifier specifically tells you that it does take 8-12 weeks to receive your first magazines but you will get a full 60 months of them. If after that you still haven't received your magazines, you can call customer service at 1-866-900-2719 and they will gladly issue a complaint to the publishers and the publishers will do a full investigation as to why you're not receiving your magazines.

As for the gift certificate, it was simply a bonus, a thank you for your magazine order. If you're not happy with your gift certificate, we sincerely apologize but your agreement with us is for the magazines. You speak to 3 different people to ensure that you do understand the service completely before we process the order.

So I have an OK! magazine here at my house. I'm going to work some numbers for you. That magazine is $3.49 an issue. So, say you buy 6 magazines of the same cost each month.. 6 total. That's $20.94 a month. With our service, it's $3.85 a week for 6 magazines. That's $15.40. You save $5.54 a month with our service. But I know for a fact that Cosmo is at least $5.99 a month here. So imagine getting 6 magazines that are $5.99. That's $35.94. You're saving $20.54 a month with those magazines by using our service. But what you don't realize is, the OK! magazine, it's a weekly magazine. And with our service, that weekly magazine is for 60 full months. So imagine how much that would be. 4 magazines a month times 60 months is 240 magazines over time.

This is one hell of a service. You see these complaints on sites like this. But really, there's like a total of 15 complaints. We have thousands of customers. I could see if we had thousands of complaints on here but we don't. Every company that deals with the public in any way has complaints, even wal-mart and McDonalds. But we all still go there, or most of us probably. If you're not receiving what we promised you, give us a call and we'll will take every action possible to correct the issue. We're really a great company. I enjoying going to work there everyday.

IF you're using our service just to get the gift certificate, then you're not going to be happy. But as I said before, you agreed on a tape verified call to make these payments for the magazine service. I'll be happy to assist each and every one of you in resolving your issues but we can't help you if you don't let us know there is a problem. As I posted earlier, the customer service number is 1-866-900-2719. Sometimes that line is busy, so just keep calling. I hope this helped some of you out. I'm sorry that some of you are not happy with the service but with every service, things happen and we need your input to resolve these things. Have a great and safe day out there!

• Br
      9th of Jun, 2009

Caveat emptor!!

This is a scam.
    I wanted to cancel whatever magazine subscription i signed up for. being a busy collage student, i cannot afford this anymore. The lady on the phone was more than rude. I dont understand why i cant cancel, even though they already withdrew a months service.
    Im scared for whatever information they claim to already have. And if they really valued thier customers, they would be nicer and more understanding. Their reputation and rapport is worse than aweful.
    In order to cancel they said i would owe them 1000 bucks. wtf! i did not agree to a canelation fee. My god, the people that deal with my student loans are nicer than them. The people at the DMV are nicer than them. I dont know how they got my info in the first place.
    As for the merchandice they claim on being so proud about. I can get better and up-to-date magazines for free anywhere else. This company sucks.

Sincerely,