Mountain Area Communications / shopping spree rip off

Las Cruces
Phone: 575-993-1862
I got a phone call from these "clowns" telling me what a great deal the magazines were in exchange for a 1000.00 dollar shopping spree. When they first contacted me they already had my credit card number so I listened to them and agreed to try their magazine subscription. After I started seeing how much the magazines were going to cost I called and spoke to a "girl" named Kelly who told me I couldnot cancel but she would lower the monthly cost from 49.90 a month to 29.90 a month. When I checked my bank acct. I had been charged 49.90 a month. After receiving the "on-line shopping gift certificate" I checked it out on line and found there was only about 35-40 items in their inventory and all of it appeared to be crap. So, do you have a solution?

N  31st of Jul, 2009 by
Call this Kelly person back and ask for their collections number. They can't transfer you to collections but they can give you that number. Then tell them you want to cancel. They'll go into a spill about it being prepaid but that they can cancel for like 70% of your total balance. Keep giving them hell about it and make up some excuse and they can go down to 55% of your total balance. You're still going to have to pay but when you do pay one of these percentages, you'll still get the magazines for however many years they promised. Or you could tell them your calling the BBB and the atourney general and keep giving hell with that and sometimes they'll let you cancel with 2 or 3 monthly payments.
A  27th of Aug, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Yesterday I called to cancel my order Kelly answered I asked for the supervisor and she wasn't available. I then asked Kelly to cancel my account, she never mentioned anything about paying a percentage of my total balance nor did she say I couldn't cancel she just said OK its done. She gave me a cancellation number and that was it. I asked her to send it in writing but she refused stating that the number was all I needed to verify. I called my CC company and they agreed if I have that number they can file a dispute on my behalf if any further charges occur. Just call them up ask to cancel and follow up with your bank or credit card company. I have a feeling I will be dealing with them again so I'll be prepared. I am even contacting my attorney and credit reporting agencies. They must be stopped. I called 866-900-2719.
A  27th of Aug, 2009 by
Also I called today to get the collections department phone number Cindy answered and gave it to me I didn't give any of my info I just asked for the number. The number is 423.317.8462. I called to verify that they are the collections company Kelsey answered and said yes. I just said thank you and hung up. I will post any other numbers I get from them because I know this isn't over! If we all keep posting they will have to be stopped.
A  21st of Oct, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
i listened to their spill and said i would think about it...the next morning i pulled up my bank account and they had charged my card!!! I called 423-272-0458 and the b*@#h tried to tell me i ordered it and gave them my card number...I know for sure that I didnt! They are LIARS!!! Also gave me the 866 # to call for refund and to cancel.
A  27th of Oct, 2009 by
i wasnt home when the called me but a man left me a message on my machine telling me I won a shopping spree knew sounded funny because i never heard of mountain area any way so i googled it and read your comments and i wont be calling them. Thanks alot its nice to see there are still good people in the world.
N  25th of Nov, 2009 by
They are calling my cell phone number. I have only had this number for less than a month and am curious how they got it. However, I do not have a bank card or credit card...so why are they contacting me?
A  3rd of Dec, 2009 by
I had to close all of my bank accounts and they are still trying to contact me. I have also reported them to a fraud agency. They must be stopped!
A  31st of Dec, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
This company is what gives telemarketing a bad name. I'm also a telemarketer and I'm stunned that a company could continue doing business like this. Mountain area was suppose to pre- authorize 29.00 but instead the next day it had already been deducted for the amount of 39.00. This caused and overdraft fee, however when I called to cancel due to their mistake, they hung up on me. I played along with these people for a bit, then I just changed my account number. My bank is aware of what happened and knows others in the area that have had the same problem with this company. Also, at the end of the call they will slip in the fact that you will also be recieving a membership for some type of discount club for 4.99 the first month. If you don't call to cancel then you will be charged 40.00 each month there after. Don't bother telling them you don't want that charged to your card, because they do it anyhow. Last night another rep called me after 2 months and said to beware of companies calling to ask me to add magazines to my service because they are trying to scam me. I almost busted out laughing at this guy because I suppose he thinks he's the real deal. I again tried to explain to this f&*(F*k hole that I didn't want the magazines and tried to explain what had happened with the charges and he put me on mute. Me being a telemarketer I knew what he had done. They do that to make you think they hang up on you. I saw the timer on my phone was still counting the total min of the call, so I let that mother F&*(&$r have a piece of my mind and then he hung up for real.
A  11th of Mar, 2010 by
Theses people called me today, and I've NEVER been so angry with a "telemarketer" before. They called and told me I had won a $1000 shopping spree, but then hung up on me when I refused to give them my checking account information. I called them back, and told them I wanted removed from their calling list, and they hung up on me again. I called them back, once again, and reminded them that fraudulent offers and identity theft was a serious crime. They laughed at me and hung up. I called back and demanded to speak to a supervisor. They said no AND HUNG UP AGAIN. By this time I was FURIOUS and called to tell them "where to go."
A  1st of Apr, 2010 by
Thanks so much for the comments and info guys. I am in sort of the same situation as Sissyj, I don't have a credit card, SOC#, and I also do not know how they got my number. I was called by 'Jacklyn' who told me that I'd won a $1000 Online Shopping spree. I was curious and skeptical so I came here to find this info. The number I was given was 866-875-2034. They need to be stopped!
N  7th of Jun, 2010 by
I just got the first call from these guys. thanks for all your forewarnings, but if I don't answer and they just went to vm, will I still be charged you think?
N  12th of Jun, 2010 by
They called me Monday and sidney left me a message and told me she was from mountain area and she told me i won an 1000$ online shopping spree. What is the website so i can go there. Do u think I should do this.
N  7th of Dec, 2010 by
Report all poor business practices to the Federal Trade Commission - https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/ - interstate fraud is a crime.
A  20th of Jun, 2011 by
this is all kinds of messed up! they called my cell phone too and the message was a girl with a sounthern accent and said the same thing to the dot of what happened too. she sounded to sincre and nice i believed her. so i called back the number and it said, hi this is megan im on the other line ill get back to you. so i left them a message( before i read all this) saying my name and number. im 16 and have no bank account or anything like that. this is so messed up and im really glad i found these websites before i went any farther. people like that should really get a better job. i wonder what they think at night.