Membership services / Not returning call or canceling membership less than 24 hours notice

1 1305 Franklin Avenue, Suite 300 Garden City, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: (516) 877-5500

I was called yesterday at about 1 pm regarding my membership. Audrey Schneider said that they needed a few clarifying questions for my profile and then went into her spiel. As it was supposed to be a free membership, I was surprised when she said that there were prices for different memberships. She said that the preferred was $4.89 (what I heard), but what she meant was $489. She also said that it was a one time fee, but right before she hung up, she mentioned that there was a $99 renewal fee. After hanging up, I was thought that was very high for the small price I had paid and then went home to do some research, after realizing that it was much higher than I had expected, I called at 7 am to cancel my membership. I have not received a call back and no one is answering any of their lines. I will be disputing this claim on my credit card when it posts.

Comments

13th of Nov, 2008

The same thing has happened to me. Within 1 hour of ending my phone call with a Shameeza Mohammed, i e-mailed them to cancel the membership. Nothing happened. Then today a Craig Bifulco called and said "I understand you have questions about your membership" and i said that i didn't have questions, i wanted to CANCEL it. He offered me a membership given to retired woman, for "only $249". I kept asking if i could cancel completely and he finally said no. I asked why and he said "Well your name has already been published on our website and unless we find another Sarah A...Senior A/R Rep, we can't cancel it.

I, too, will be disputing it w/my credit card company b/c i am disgusted. Please keep me posted on your progress b/c it's the same thing on this end...got the postcard in the mail which said FREE.

Sarah

21st of Apr, 2009

I am currently an Elite Member with the National Association of Professional Women and purchased a plaque and I am highly satisfied with this comapny. I have spoken with both people Audrey and Shameeza and they do give a direct extension you can contact them at. Nothing is free, I asked the same question but a profile listing with your name on the website is complemetary.

• Vi
      10th of Aug, 2009

Scary Angela, you can't even spell correctly. No plaque is worth that type of money. It's NOT a networking organization for women. It's a company that you pay to compliment you and pay to give yourself a plaque.

• Ve
      8th of Mar, 2010

I received a post card in the mail and completed and returned it. I just received a very lengthy phone call. This membership that I thought was free, started out at $689 and ended up at $289 before I told them I was not interested at all. Beware ladies!

• Kl
      15th of Jun, 2010

Angela must be an employee or Craig disguised as Angela. Wouldn't put it past him. Eely people can make themselves look like anything.

• Lr
      18th of May, 2012

In May, 2011, I fell for the manipulative telemarketing scheme, paid the exorbitant initial membership fees, only to find out that all of the promises are a complete hoax.

However, I will not tolerate their threat to access my account for payment without my permission by stating in their email dated May 10, 2012 that "Your annual renewal of $99 has been processed, so there will be no interruption in your membership."

I have cancelled my credit card, reported the company for fraud to the New York State Attorney General, Metropolitan New York Better Business Bureau, [redacted], among others.

• Sk
      14th of Aug, 2014

This company is a joke. Unfortunately, I fell for the initial membership- I was invited into their "special group" and, was initially asked to pay $900! I was appalled and tried to get off the phone ASAP. The lady, Andree, was able to reduce my membership to $99 as a trial. NO WHERE ON MY PAPERWORK/EMAILS does it say that my membership was set to automatically renew, at a higher rate, annually. (See attachments- if it will let me attach the 4 pages) Also, please note that it was called a "trial" membership, further explaining my temporary membership status. I quickly realized that I had just paid a group of people to SPAM me for an entire year and had no intention of renewing this membership. While reviewing my credit card statement last month, I noticed they had charged me a renewal fee of $199. I made several attempts to call and cancel after I saw this charge and it took several days to have someone get back to me. Then I was offered a $99 credit. No thanks. I want ALL of my money back. After feuding with the representative, she offered me an additional reimbursement of $50 ($149 total). Again, NOT GOOD ENOUGH. I wish I had done my research prior to signing up. BEWARE!

31st of Oct, 2014

@ Skeptical: if you had bothered to read the Terms and Conditions, you would have known that NAPW is protected, as it clearly states within their contract that they do renew your membership automatically. However, I have recently heard a lot of negative things about this org. Just for fun, I totally made up a fake name and company to see if they would accept me. And no surprise, my fictitious persona was magically accepted in three minutes. This means they don't bother to fact-check anything, which translates to zero security of members and a bunch of baloney in their prized Directory. To that end, they remain a totally bogus org that only wants your cash.