Lynette Sheldon Actors Studio / Shakedowns

1 1 E 28 StNew York, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 212-477-0171

This school is run like it's some kind of mafia. They try to get people to pay for classes we never signed up for or took. IRS ought to take a look at the books of this place. It's run by savages.

Comments

Fr
  26th of May, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

That is patently untrue. The class is created and run for the students, and many of her people work professionally. Quite possibility complaining party has never had any success in the acting field and blames Lynette Sheldon (which is really not the issue, is it?).

27th of May, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

quite possibly there is no "people" in her shared hourly rate tiny studio...it just her and her milking teenagers and the less fortunate of there time and money. Lynette is thriving off the hardships of others, people have a dream and fall into her trap b/c they are young and want to believe. The corrwect word is HACK! I will be contacting the authorities about her asap. Lynette has had no luck in acting...obviously look at all the complaints on a google search...hahahahahahahhaha...dummy!

27th of May, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

Stay away, dont waste your money...the industry knows shes crazy! so will you!

Jj
  10th of Jun, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

The situation there has gone on long enough. It's very bad. Social services needs to be called in before Lynette Sheldon hurts somebody.

De
  27th of Jul, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I have seen several complaints about this school on the Internet. All anyone from the school seems to say is that they think people are complaining because they took the classes and can't get acting jobs but that isn't true. I make a living as an actor, I attended this school and I agree with the complaints. It's a school run by an egomaniac who doesn't seem to be at all in control of her self and it's not a pleasant experience there to say the least.

To
  8th of Nov, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I have never seen a school run like this one before. I hope I never do again. The owner has got some very serious issues and is completely out of control. She is immature and infantile, worse than a kindergartener in the way she can carry on like a lunatic. She favors whoever is dumb enough to look upon her as a mentor since even though it sounds unbelievable there are those who do and she is vicious to anyone who does not look up to her or hang on her every hysterical word. Avoid this place!

11th of Nov, 2009

These comments continually amaze me. If any of you had a real beef with LS you could file a complaint with the BBB, call the IRS, call the City of New York, etc. Instead you post these harmful and potentially libelous comments on this page? This is slander of the worst kind. You are not allowing her to defend herself, meanwhile, you're all carrying on like lunatics. My question is, don't you have anything better to do with your time? LS advised me of this, and I offered to assist her. This is slander people. Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. If you made these comments in any other environment, she could sue you for slander. Doesn't that mean anything to any of you?

Bu
  7th of Jan, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

Now I've seen everything. Just everything! Someone gets reported on here for shaking people down. One of her friends replies and says call the IRS on her. What kind of a friend would say call the IRS on her. That's crazy. Especially in this economy. The IRS pays rewards for information about people like that! I should report her myself and see what I can get. I wont but I should.

9th of Jan, 2010

Dear Buckledown...,

You're reading comprehension is CRAP. I said, if people are really serious about complaining they should be legitimate about it: call BBB, IRS, or City of NY. But no one here is really serious because slander on the web is much easier. If you complain to a legitimate authority, LS has the right to defend herself and the complaintee has to give solid verifiable reasons. No one does this, because no one here has a leg to stand on. It's simple slander - destroy her name, but don't let her defend herself.

Ga
  3rd of Feb, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

For this class, why doesn't Lynette simply get a good old fashioned Suggestion Box? I think it would be a whole lot better for students with grievances to put them in a Suggestion Box rather than onto the Internet.

I was in the class and it was pretty good. Come on, people, give Lynette a break here.

1st of Jul, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

She belongs in Sing-Sing! Anybody who is running a shakedown scam on a bunch of kids belongs in a jail! Send her up the river!

Pr
  5th of Nov, 2010

I must say, I am very disappointed reading these complaints. I took acting lessons for two years at Lynette's and never had a problem getting charged for classes I did not take! Lynette is an excellent teacher. She is very tough but if she wasn't tough on me I would have learned NOTHING. You can go to a class and have someone tell you are great at everything but how will you learn? Would you sign up for a college class in acting and then tell the school you are not paying for the semester because you didn't like the first class or two? If you commit to a semester with Lynette she deserves the same respect. She dedicates her life teaching this craft to others but she has bills to pay too.

27th of Nov, 2010
Agree Disagree +2 Votes

I took "lessons" with LS 14 years ago and not only did she tear into me, but she also encouraged the rest of the class to do so. This was after I approached her before the class and told her I was going through some major personal stuff and that I felt very vulnerable and maybe I should put off doing my exercise. She said no, don't worry. We are all here for you. I never felt more violated because of the months of trust I put into her...not to mention thousands of dollars for "classes". I quit acting after dealing with her craziness. It was almost like every class you'd look around and think doesn't anyone else think she's crazy? Is it just me? I can't believe people are still trusting her and getting hurt. Believe me, if this site was around 14 years ago, I would have written then. Now there are better tools so people can get the real deal on someone who turns out to be an immature vulture. If you want damage to your psyche, check her out...

An
  22nd of Jan, 2011
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

She hounds her students to take more lessons, she calls at all hours of the day or night, she pressures then, she drives her students crazy!
She has no respect for students. My spouse was in her class and I saw what she does to them!

Je
  17th of Apr, 2011

I have had the pleasure of having the fabulous and talented Lynette Sheldon teach me for a short while right here in Melbourne Australia and in all honesty I didn't want my time with her to end. Not only has she taught me some of the most important acting techniques that will stay with me forever but she has had enough compassion to take the time to find within me that things that i need to work on as an actress, something other well known teachers never cared enough to address. Like all things in life somethings that may work for one person may not work for another, I love the way she teaches and recommend her to anyone with a backbone because she is tough and will tell you how it is, so if you are the type of person who can't handle constructive criticism don't take her classes, however in the meantime to the others who have had negative things to say how dare you bad mouth someone who has dedicated her life to sharing her knowledge of acting, ? After all she was taught by Stella Adler herself and anyone who has heard about Stella knows that she too is a strong woman... Lynette's technique of teaching comes from the great vine... for those of you considering taking a class from Lynette, take one... you be the judge.

Kindest of Regards,

Miss Jennifer Apap

Ma
  21st of Jun, 2012

As a current student of hers (sydney, australia) i have to say Lynette is a great teacher, as mentioned by others she is tough but only in the sense it's tough to hear the truth. She actively works to improve each of her students technique, has a good sense of humor and obvious passion for the craft (hence she teaches it). If you can't deal with her constructive criticism you certainly
Wont be able to handle the industry, acting is for the willing and tough not the stubborn and unchanging.

9th of Feb, 2013
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I heard she has spread rumours about me wanting to kill someone! I'm a former student of hers well never again! HOW DARE SHE? This woman is insane and needs to be stopped!