Lia Sophia / Poor quality and customer service

1 AZ, United States Review updated:

I hosted a party last September and purchased some items. Upon recipt of these items, I thought the quality looked poor so I exchanged them for other items. After wearing the necklace a few times, it fell apart. The company requires a $5.oo fee which I refuse to pay since this was clearly poor workmanship. After dealing with customer service, management, and their supervisors, I was told that they will return the broken piece to me without repair. This company clearly does not stand by their product. Not only that, but the manager even told me that we wouldn't tell you the jewelry will break in 120 days, we just suggest that as soon as it breaks you call the company for a replacement. Not much confidence in the workmanship even from the manager. I will NEVER purchase this jewelry again and you should not either. It's a headache waiting to happen.

Comments

• Mo
      16th of Jun, 2010

This is what was sent to me from one of their consultant. Now, I understand that I should have stuck by my promise to have the party and I admit I am wrong and told her I am willing to purchase items as birthday and holiday gifts...etc, I cancelled because I had to at the time, again, I take full blame for that, but this is what she said, I see this as bad business practice, plus she put me and another girl down on the same email, which is totally uncalled for, she should have sent them separately

What the consultant said:
    Robin and Kristine
    > I met you both a few months back at Paula's party and you both agreed to
    > host your own Lia Sophia show, and bc of that I was able to give Paula
    > 40% in free jewelry. Since then, both of you cancelled on me and or
    > never responded to keeping the date of your show. All I asked for is a
    > response, b/c this is my only job and could have booked another party in
    > it's place. It's not fair to me. I was really looking forward to both of
    > your parties.
    > Going forward, a reply would have been greatly appreciated. I am sure
    > you don't like when people do that to you.
    > I wish you both well.
    > Jessica

My response:

Ok, sorry about that. I really am, I am kind of surprise that this is your business practice, sending an email like this one, times are tough for everyone...hope you realize that...I have children too, you said the same thing in your last email and you had every right to do so...you did!...I truely apoligize. I can check my calender for August if that is ok with you...if not, I will check your jewelry and make a purchase and buy some birthday gifts for people and some stuff for myself...I can make a $300 purchase with a few gift to get out of the way for the holidays...etc...

You wish us both well.

Her response to my email:

Robin

Thank you for your reply. Yes I understand times are tough for everyone. That is the very reason I am working...I have never sent an email like this actually, but after talking to my manager she suggested it. The company gives out so much jewelry based on bookings and when the bookings fall through, it's almost like stealing from them. If it was one of you I would have chalked it up to bad luck, but it was both, so I thought I would send out an email. Not to be mean, but to express how I felt. I know people's lives get crazy with kids, activities, etc. But if I would have gotten a reply I would have rebooked the date and moved on.

I would still love to come to your home and have a show. Right now I am booking for July. It's our clearance month. Buy 1 item at reg price and get up to 4 half! Great specials for the customer. As a hostess you would get free jewelry so you wouldn't have to spend any money on those holiday/Bday gifts. Even better right?

I have open the following dates, let me know.

July 9, 10, 15, 16, 17, 30

Thanks Robin and have a good day.

Jessica

My second response:

You know what, your manager suggested you send that email?...Should I speak with her?.. Send me a book, I will make a huge purchase, Not sure if it would feel comfortable at this point to have a party at my home.

Never has any company send emails like this, unless of course they are desparate for business. I dont think I would ever do such a thing, What if I was the kinda of person to tell everyone, they would not want to deal with your company... right?

Please just sent me a book, the jewerly is great, but the respect for the company is not at this point. I will make some purchases.

Again, I apoligize and will learn from this. PS. you should have sent the emails to both of us separately too.

Thank you!

Her last response: (consultant for Lia Sophia)

Robin,

Well I too am a manager now and we have monthly meetings to deal with these situations. This is one I needed help in addressing. It's the company I work for and this is my business. I am not desperate for business, but I would like hostesses to know that this IS my job. You would not like to go into work for the day and for them to tell you, oh we don't need you and send you home. You then in turn will not be paid, etc. It's the same with direct sales. I am sure you can understand this.

I am sorry if the email offended you. I don't feel it was harsh in anyway. Just direct. Paula did a awesome job at her show getting people together and that's why I thought it strange that both her shows cancelled. That's fine if you don't want to have a show...it would have been a great way to see the jewelry and have a great time with friends. Lia Sophia is a great line of jewelry and company to work for! Hope you will continue to enjoy all your pieces. If you ever want to look at the catalog, you can look online as well at www.liasophia.com

Thanks Robin!

Jessica

• Me
      19th of Aug, 2010

Hi Robin,
    I'm so sorry that you had this experience and I hope this consultant isn't someone I know. I understand what Jessica is saying but would kindly ask that you keep in mind that all of the sales representatives (even managers) are independent advisors. This is not necessarily an approach endorsed by the company - and is not the response that you would get from every consultant or manager.

If you truly enjoy the jewelry and the lifetime replacement guarantee that the company offers with it then perhaps the solution would be to find another advisor. Here is my self interested plug - if you have not already guessed I am an advisor with the company and I truly believe in building relationships over business and I would like to think that my hostesses would agree that this is how I operate.

We do have a fantastic fall catalog you can check it out on my website or if you would like me to send you a hard copy in the mail contact me by e-mail and I'll get one out to you right away. Once again I appoligze for your experience. Let me know if there is anything I can do to make this situation right for you!!

Melinda A. Pitman