Keystone Custom House / Beware

I recently bought a home from Keystone Homes because I had read great reviews and heard that they build nice homes. However less than year into my home and I have been fighting to get my warranty work completed.

To get my driveway corrected took eight months. The company working for Keystone even told me to stop calling. My siding is peeling away and they have not yet put a work order in, after three months. I called the siding and made my own work order and they told me that they have not heard anything about coming to look at my house. The doors on my house do not line properly and have had to replace all my locks. After the winter the flowerbed and other areas around my house had settlement up to a Foot. What they decided to do is drop off clay not even dirt in my front yard and leave it up to me. So why did I buy a brand new house with a warranty, from keystone it so I can do all the work. Also I had a customer rep. quit half way through my first year. I found out that I was lied to by Keystone. The way I found out is because some of the items were listed as complete and I was inquiring about getting them fixed. Another complaint I have is ALL my trim work is pulling away and the caulk is cracked and missing, KEYSTONE HANDED ME A TUBE OF CAULK IT IS YOUR PROBLEM.

Also Keystone lied to me about my land. They said it would be level and it is not and the final grade is less than satisfactory. The yard has divots all through it and you can see exactly were they buried wood, rocks, concrete, and singles. All you have to do is look for the spots with no grass. They also told me I could plant trees in the back where a gas line is, that was not true. I was also told I could put a playground set on the line, since no digging is required, that also was not true. So now I have land that I can not do anything to because I told misleading information throughout the entire time about what I can and can not do.

So buyers beware!!!

Va

Comments

• Sc
      1st of Apr, 2008

need a car to go back to school

• Mi
      4th of Aug, 2008

oh i agree with u 100% about everything u have said. my wife and i also have bought a home from Keystone custom homes. located in Koller Pointe . New Freedom. every1 that we have talked to have had issues with there homes . u email the construction manager and it takes awhile . if at all for him to return with a answer. ohhhhhh the promises sound good . but it takes forever to see anything happen. we have alot of things wrong with our house along with our neighbors. i am waiting to see what happens, and what there going to tell us at the 11 month walk through. ill be honest . the over all construction of the house is good. but the inside work, i think me 8 year old could do a better job. the dry is the worst i have ever seen . i mean i finished off my basement at my old house myself . and i did a better job with the dry and paint then these so call professionals did. thank god im handly and able to do alot of different things, cause i know ill be doing it . i have a funny feeling that everything that we will be pointing out to them soon will be .thats ur problem not ours from them . i feel sorry for the people that have no clue how to do things around there house .

28th of Aug, 2008

My wife and I moved into the Marietta location. Already the walls are warping, cracks are coming through the floors, roof leaks and cracking in the stone. You can tell by the way they put the houses up they are trying to set some kind of speed record- or are crunched for time. Whichever, the quality sucks. I've talked to other people in the neighborhood and I've never lived somewhere that everyone has a story of negative dissent. These people from start to the settlement table look at you and smile, promise ice on the sun and are so fake...but you don't realize it until AFTER you buy the house. I'm concerned the house will still be standing when it comes time to sell it in 10 years. I could list all the inside issues, but it would do no good. They run their business like a military organzization, the reps, service managers, project managers seem to be on pins and needles and scared to death about losing their jobs if they do anything "outside of the book". They put what we were told would be "Upscale apartments" mixed with the new homes that we dished out over $250, 000 for and now find out the rent is $750.00, inviting hoodlums and less then desirable inhabitants. And instead of the 2-3 units they said they were going to build, they're all over us! I don't even feel safe at night. People keep in mind behind those fake smiles and salesmanship talk they don't give a damn about you, they just want you to buy a house.

• Pa
      18th of Jun, 2009

My what an ego !! Mike, you want to feel sorry for those that are not as gifted as you !! I bought a house from Keystone back in 2004 and yes I had it checked by a independant home inspector before signing the dotted line. And I have no problems with my house. Imagine that !!, its called following basic rules of purchasing a house. Also start trying to be more professional over the phone when talking with their customer service.

22nd of Sep, 2009

To PA_Home_buyer,
    You bought your home in 2004. Keystone had competition back then. The company has changed considerably since then so you are not as lucky as the rest of us who are stuck in crappy houses and crappier neighborhoods. Also, it doesn't matter how nice you speak to anyone at Keystone, the standard response is no response and worse, no resolution. To quote my favorite salesman in Marietta, "That's a good question."

• Nu
      8th of Nov, 2009

Come on... I am going to have to say that there are posts on here from 3 diferent people with complaints... one without...

Based on the numbers, if Keystone builds 250-300 homes annually... I would say you're the exception, not the rule. You cannot make everyone happy, and you're the ones that weren't made happy.

"Everyone I talk to says the same thing"... I am sure, they don't want to tell you that you're difficult to deal with and have unrealistic expectations. Go ruin someone else's business... I bet you're the "perfectionist" when it comes to others work, but can't carry your weight at your job.

• Jj
      1st of Feb, 2010

So far, I am pleased with the house they built for me late last year. I have our 60 inspection Wednesday. I'll post the results / resolution to my "minor" concerns.

• Bc
      11th of Mar, 2010

I bought my house in 2004 also, I have had no major problems and two minor problems during this period that Keystone Custom Homes dealt with very rapidly. Many of you have to realize that when you began this process, you agree to be a "general contractor" and that is a heavy responsibility, this is not something you take on unless you are willing to rollup your sleeves and do your homework on what details you are planning to do on your house.

• Bi
      13th of May, 2010

I bought my Keystone home in late 2007. Keystone has yet to fix the long list of repairs on my 1 year walk-through. Nor are they returning my phone calls. They screwed up my driveway, came back and fixed it by elevating one side. In the process, their paving machines tore up my yard on both side of the driveway. They never graded the area between the sidewalk and street. It is so uneven that I can't use my riding mower. I have a heck of a time using my push mower on that section every week. It actually causes me shoulder pain. I found during the first rain storm that water doesn't drain properly in my backyard. Keystone sent their hooligan in on a dozer and dug a trench down the center of my yard. Brilliant! When I showed Dave Ebright (Keystone) he said I should pay a contractor to put up a retaining wall. My linoleum floor peeled up at the seam in the hallway. The toilet paper holders are all falling off the wall. I leave messages at Keystone, but they have yet to return one of my calls. I will never recommend Keystone to anyone.

9th of Jul, 2010

My parents have experienced the same poor quality in their home in Red Lion. Here are a few of the problems: The garage support beam was located 3 feet off the footer (it had to be ripped out and replaced), insulation was missing from a wall causing their laundry line to freeze, the exterior hose bibs are not connected properly so they move every time you touch them, the garage trim was not installed properly and it is rotting (5 years old), the bay window has leaked and rotting, and the house creaks like an old sea vessel in every room. Do not listen to those who say the problems are the minority. Sadly, it just isn't true. The work is inferior and inconsistent due to multiple subcontractors Keystone uses on the job.

25th of Sep, 2010

Any newer comments form the same people affected? An resolution of the issues? Any legal cases?

• Ka
      1st of Nov, 2010

BUYER BEWARE BEWARE

I don't know how I missed all of this back in 2008 when we were building our "dream home" with Keystone...Yes - it turned out to be a nightmare~!!! 2 years later and even though we FINALLY got them contractually to agree to fix a FEW of the items - when they showed up with a camera crew to FILM the ONE fix and we told them NO...they packed up and left without fixing what they were contractually obligated to fix. I have never met an ego as big as MIKE CAHILL or an attitude as poor as that of Jeff Rutt (cashing in the money!!) and the President (can't remember his name).

I could write PARAGRAPH AFTER PARAGRAPH of the lies, deceit, ignorance, rudeness (getting the picture) but they have you over a barrel once you sign on the dotted line. Currently working with an attorney but that cost LOTS of money and so we have to go for LOTS of money which alot takes a lot of time. Really...all we wanted was our house fixed. This website will be wonderful to have in my file...

My recommendation is for you all to contact the Attorney General's office. I was working with them a while ago but didn't get much response (unfortunately Tom Corbett is now running for Governor and I hope he is a little more response in that office should he be elected) but our state representative has agreed to go to bat for us with the Attorney General's office and so we are hoping this time to have more success with that office holding the shister Keystone Custome Home company to some decency. And oh...the awards they won??? Go check them out - most are for QUANTITY built...NOT QUALITY~!! And we all know how they can throw a house up in 48 days...

• Tm
      17th of Jan, 2011

dont buy a house if it was slapped up in 48 days! simple as a pimple!

• Ac
      28th of Jan, 2011

Ok. We are considering building a home with Keystone. We are in the ask and answer stage and will be given an agreement of sale this weekend to review. I am not sure what to think of the builder. We have done our research and called three different inspectors from different areas they build in. None had anything bad to say about them. I have found complaints online but nothing to major and I would expect that there are going to be some issues for a builder of their size. I also checked the BBB and found that they have only had 13 complaints in the last 3 years. Out of 28 communities I dont find that extremely bad. Before our meeting this Saturday we plan to walkt eh neighborhood and knock on doors to talk to exsisting homeowners about their experience and what they think of the quality.

Anyone have any input? Good or bad?

• Kb
      9th of Mar, 2011

Has anyone participated in their homw swap program?

• Sg
      27th of Mar, 2011

We are currently building with Keystone and can't be happier. The only thing I recommend is do your research with the options because everything is an option including the window trim that is why the house is so cheap compared to other builders. The base structure is very well made. Even after upgrading we found the for the price we paid and the size of the house we got we were still better off. We originally looked at Berks home which has a very good reputation but would not budge on the price and their largest model was 600 sq feet smaller than the one we got from keystone. As for the swap program I know someone who particiapted in it and it worked for them. I originaly looked at the program but it ended up being better for me to sell on my own at a lower price then doing the home swap. There is one other thing I wish was different. Due to the process they follow once you make your selections and sign there is no changes not even for a fee. We later wanted to change some stuff nothing to major but we will just end up doing later.

• As
      22nd of Aug, 2011

My husband and I are in the process of signing the final Living Choices agreement with Keystone in their Wyndham Creek community in Oxford. What a horrble experience it has been for us, as well. We are newly married for a 2nd time and what is supposed to be an exciting time in our lives, has turned into a nightmare as we try to merge our families together. First of all, they led us to believe they were going to start building a brand new community in Lincoln University, Ballymeade, so we went thru the Certain Sale program, with that understanding. As this was going on, they had a new home advisor in their office who gave us wrong pricing, invalid info on Certain Sale, you name it, it was completely wrong. We followed the whole Certain Sale process with the understanding we would be in this new community, Ballymeade. Then, come to find out, they had no intention of building there until thay had more buyers. Talk about bait and switch. Brian Davidson broke the news in a phone call I had with him, as I was demanding a new "competent" advisor. So they steered us to Wyndham Creek, Oxford, where there are about 4 lots left (all lousy, of course). but at this stage we were already signed, sealed and delivered on the Certain Sale side of things and did not want to lose monies on that end. We did not get a final purchase price until our appointment at the design center last Wednesday. Unfortunately, it was about $6K over where we wanted to be. Not a cheap home; we are talking $352K and we wanted to be at about $345K. We decided to not sign that final agreement with the hopes that we would contact our advisor and see if they could at least waive the $2K lot premium (what a joke) or maybe throw in a few thousand somewhere to help us get closer to our number. We are spending close to $70K in options, not a bare-bones home! They will not budge. Upon requesting such, they sent me an e-mail that was apalling, rude, etc. As much as we love the home and selections we picked, we are beside ourselves and don't want to move forward, but they do have our $5K deposit. Plus I have the Certain Sale going on. We do have a buyer's agent who is very shocked by the goings on here but she's not having much luck with them either. The thought of them keeping a single dime of our hard-earned money makes me ill. They don't know how to treat a customer. They even miscalculated the so called lender credit we are supposed to get for using "their guy". What a joke he is! Come to find out that the 20% off and anniversary savings they are marketing right now, that lender credit comes off of that discount; it's not over and above as they lead you to believe. Now they are telling us if we need to remove some options they will need to get permission. Are you kidding me? I'm not sure what direction we will be going but I am not done with them yet. I would so love to let as many people as possible know the truth about them as they hide behind those ridiculous builder awards! I put a call into Jeff Rutt today and his assistant told me a John Cayman, VP, would call me back. Instead, I received another call from the rude home advisor and his manager.

• Bb
      11th of Sep, 2011

We had issues with our air conditioning for a year, but they finally got worked out. There is some issue with the septic tanks installed in some of the houses in our neighborhood. We are not affected by it though.
    We are in Wyndym Creek. I will say it is a great neighborhood though.
    We did the house swap/certain sale/key equity for our old house and it worked out well for us.
    Good luck with your purchase.

23rd of Sep, 2011

I am also one of the people in Wyndham Creek and am one of the poeple with the septic issue. If you are planning on buying here, now is not the right time to do it. Chances are we are going into a legal battle regarding our septic systems(about 2/3 of the people here have $eptic problem$). You might want to wait. As for other issues, we had driveway problems that took them about a year to address, and it took a whole lot of biching and threats. Then we had an issue with our heating and AC system only to find out the company they hired to install it went out of business. So much for that warranty! I agree with a previous post about the grading, it is horrible, cant seem to get anything but weeds to grow in certain areas and I have also found things burried just below the surface(ie: orange temporary plastic fencing, scrap piping, siding blowing off to name a few). Can't blame anyone but myself for not knowing what to look for when buying a new home. Lesson learned. be very careful when buying with Keystone.

• Ta
      8th of Jan, 2012

Keystone is arrogant and deceiving. Stay away!! My husband and I bought a home this summer and it has been the worst experience. Keystone will take advantage of you every chance they can. I just keep telling myself that karma will get them one day. If you are unfortunate enough to be building a home with Keystone, make sure you get EVERYTHING in writing and research the septic system and water quality . Don't be surprised if you end up getting a faulty septic system and contaminated water.. then have Keystone tell you that it is YOUR problem.