Josef Silny and Associates / Documents not

1 Miami, FL, United States Review updated:

HI I had my foreign degree evaluted by this company in 1994. I am a teacher by profession and needed to get certified. I called the compeny to get my evaluations mailed to the relevant bodies only to be told that they do not archive evaluations. I was very upset told them the cost is so minimal to store documents. They want to charge me another $130.00 for a new evaluation

Comments

• Pa
      21st of Nov, 2008

Josef Silny and Associates is the worst company ever.
    Please DO not, in any case, use their services. They do not have any customer service. Extremely rude. After you pay the initial fee, your case will get lost forever. Won't be able to get in touch with anyone and if you do, they will treat you as crap.
    I have been waiting for over 2 months for a simple evaluation. Have contacted BBB and guess what? - I was not the only one...
    Bottom line: DO Not deal with a company that obviously do their business with principals far below the acceptable level of customer satisfaction.

4th of Feb, 2009

I am the President of Josef Silny & Associates, Inc. Customer Relations is in fact our priority. The only reason an evaluation is not completed in 10 business days is if the client does not give us the required academic credentials or if we suspect that the academic credentials submitted to us are forged. Since the individual above did not state his or her name, I am not able to provide a specific response. However, we always respond to any complaints made to us or to the BBB, so if this individual complained to BBB, he or she received a written response.

6th of Feb, 2009

Josef Silny and Associates is frustrating and ripping off foreigners. I had my transcript evaluated in 2005 by the above company. I asked them to make me a new copy from an old copy I have so I can submit to my new employers and they declined. Their reason is that, they don't archive transcripts after three years. But, this is their own previous work. I wouldn't mind paying a fee for this but they want me to re-apply. My problem is that, my previous colleges are in Ghana and procedures are very bureaucratic. It may take about 2 months or more to get my scripts over here. That is bad practice. I hope people read this complaints before doing business with them.
    Thanks

• La
      4th of Mar, 2009

My name is Latoya Bedward, i have submit on application to Josef silny college and by God help i hope to get though.

• Mv
      21st of Jul, 2009

I have my credentials evaluated with Josef Silny and Associates, and I am satisfied with them. I have received prompt and correct service. They specify on their Terms that they only keep your records for 3 years, and to receive another copy of your evaluation costs only an extra $30.00 if I remember correctly. If you failed to read that, that is your problem.
    As for customer service, I actually had a lenghtly e-mail conversation with one of their representatives, and she was very curtoues and helpful. I even got the chance to talk to them over the phone, and had the same pleasant experience.
    As for storage of documents being cheap, think twice lady. Those documents will have to be insured, you'll have to have a flood and fire proof storage, and just imagine how many documents would pile up over the years.
    I think Josef Silny and Associates are very straightforward and reliable, furthermore, affordable.

• Co
      11th of Aug, 2009

Guys, this company (J.S. & A) is a disgrace to the credential evaluation profession. They are anti-foreign education and I will never advice anyone to use them. There is a connivance, I believe, between them and these licensing boards to just discriminate against foreign graduates. "Mr President" or whoever you call yourself, please do something about the image of your company among foreign intellectuals because the world is bigger than America.

Maybe instead of looking at how many years foreign students spend in college for their Bachelors degrees abroad, you should be looking into the pre-requisites for these colleges as well. Why should students waste time studying Chem I & II, Phy I & II etc in college when these courses could be taught at the Pre-college level. Are American students that dumb?

Could this be why NCEES, for instance, is proposing the Model Law because they have realised American colleges spend less time teaching the relevant professional level courses needed for success in Engineering professional practice; thus the need for an additional 30 credit hours of upper-level courses or Masters degree as part of the engineering licensure requirements?

Do your homework "Mr President" and save us the pain because we are fed up with your ignorance!

1st of Sep, 2009

This is Josef Silny, President of Josef Silny & Associates, Inc. Our policy is to respond to any complaint we receive within 48 hours. The problem with this website is that there are no names given and therefore we cannot respond to any of these complaints. Our company is accredited by the Better Business Bureau and our rating with them is A-.
    I was very appreciative of the comments of MVD 1979 who writes that he/she was satisfied with our services. We have approximately 2, 000 clients each month and we work very hard to provide the best customer service. However, as a reputable foreign credential evaluation service we have to provide accurate professional evaluations and not surprisingly some clients overestimate the value of their foreign education and are disappointed with their equivalencies. Any client who writes to us directly will receive a response. Any client posting comments on this website cannot get a response, because we do not have their names.

• Er
      6th of Nov, 2009

Yes, this company is a rip-off and NO one should do business with them. There are other companies out there who do very wonderful jobs and have stellar customer Service. I will in due course provide a transcript of my email communication between myself and an employee of the company on this site when i have researched the requiremenst of such disclosures in order not to infringe on any law. Suffice to say this employee did not care at all. All they were intersted in was keeping my money. I am an accountant by profession and had submitted my transcript from Ghana to be evaluated as part of CPA licensure requirement. The Company insisted that I had the transcriot mailed diretly from University of Ghana to them. It was going to take at least 2 months to get a transcript judging from my prior experience getting what I had sent them earlier ( transcripts acquired form Univ. of Ghana for grad school in the United Sates).
    After persistent effort to explain to them that the two months waiting period was beyong the time (two weeks) I had been given by Virginia Board of Accountancy to submit such an evaluation, I requested that my check and documents be returned so I could engage another comapny for the job. They told me my fee was not refundable and that I needed to send them a prepaid expedited envelope in order for them to send my document. This comapny has some balls!! They have money check which was cashed within two days of receipt, they cannot assist me with the evaluation because they dont have the required documents, and to get my documents back I needed to spend some more money in order for that to happen. Can anybody tell me this is ethical. This is thievery to the highest degree.
    I was told the website disclosed that the fee was not refundable... Yes big deal. How can you keep my money without providing any service? I am an accountant and an analogy to this would be taking a client fee for tax preparation service, realized the cleint does not have all the W2s and then turn around to keep the money but give the documents back without the client's fee. I have not earned that money. I have provided no service.
    Mr. President, what kind of company are you running? You boast of satisfied customers? Of course that is what it is supposed to be. You should be able to boast of each and everyone of your clients because one way or the other you assist them before they are satisfied. How can you treat somone like the way I was treated and then hide behind the excuse of complainant not providing names. My name is Eric Asare, Mr president. Can you review my file and post a response so everyone can read? I realised this a rather long post but I had to spill out all the details in order for everyone to judge and make an informed opinion on this. Good luck and may you strive to do good to all people because it shall be done unto thee whatsoever you do unto others.

• Mi
      9th of Nov, 2009

Worst company ever. do you know what they need? A REAL COMPETITOR and they'll be out of busness.

• Di
      8th of Jan, 2010

I sent my diploma to Josef Silny & Associates, and I was one of the many unfortunate people to be lied. I've got an accounting degree in my country but those people evaluated my degree as Women's Clothing Design.They made a fool of me in a really arrogant manner. Better they keep the prices higher but with quality job done than to make us stupid and our lives harder.At the end, all I got was two pieces of paper and my money were gone.Shame on them!!!

P.S.Unfortunatelly, the school refer them and suggest us to use the Josef Silny's service.

• Pa
      10th of Feb, 2010

J&S is the worst company I have ever dealt with. They are sooooooo horribly obnoxious, rude and incompetent.
    No customer service whatsoever. The meanest attitude ever...
    Mr. Silny,
    I have an advise for you- Just try calling and requesting info on "your" case . The front desk girls are so "polite" and "helpful". Please see it for yourself..
    And, Yes, I wanted to complain but was not given a chance, peaople, that you talk to on the phone, will never give you their names and will hung up on you, and Yes, I filed a complain with BBB.
    I just wonder how are they still in business...?
    Pls, do yourself a favor, and dont ever, ever deal with them.
    Have a great day

• Ha
      6th of Apr, 2010

I agree with all of you that this company is terrible! I tried calling them many many times to request information on my case and no one answered the phone. I left many voice messages and asked them to called me back, no one did, I emailed them did not get an answer. I kept sending them the same email until I got a response then they pretended they responded to my emails but I didnt receive them because they kicked back from the server! I received the rudest email from Mr Silny himself and when I emailed him to tell I will claim a complaint against his rude behavior this is exactly how he responded:

"It is your decision if you wish to complain and you can be sure that I will respond. I have your e-mail in which you accuse Mr. Laurenti of not responding to any of your e-mails, even though he responded to all of your e-mails. We have responded to every single e-mail you sent us and it a timely fashion to the same e-mails address. We have no control whether or not you receive our responses. I have saved all of the e-mails you sent to me and all of my responses, including the one in which I apologized for losing my patience.

Sincerely yours,

Josef Silny
    President"

Firstly, he clearly states that he lost his temper but it was OK because he apologized! Can you believe this?

Secondly, I swear to God I did not receive the emails he claimed his employee sent me. I sent him the same email once every week (a total of 3) until I received a response. I only received 1 email from Mr Silny in which he was almost scolding me for sending the same email multiple times. If I owned his company and received an email from one person 3 times I would give that person a call to see what the deal is, rather than assuming that person is a nutcase and he/she is sending the same email over and over again just for the hack of it!

Mr Silny needs to realize his clientele is highly educated people even though they got their degrees from other countries. He needs to take his business seriously, respect his clients, evaluate each degree in detail, and provide evaluation reports explaining the reasons of every decision they made. He seems to not realize this however he is affecting his clients business/academic lives. This is serious business!!!

Gosh I had a terrible experience with this company. I can keep writing for pages! I still keep every single email Mr. Silny sent me! I wish I had known a way to literally file a complaint about them. If anybody does, please let me know!!! The most terrible part is this company's contact info is provided in Florida Board of Professional Engineer's website! Our board basically recommending us to do business with this company! Please let me know if there is a way to file a complaint to the board as well!

• Td
      14th of Apr, 2010

Very disappointed their service, hope in the future nobody is going to use them any more. I requested my transcript evaluation from them, and they only sent a letter to the college, instead of my transcript evaluation. And I was waiting and waiting for the registrar office to put my courses and grades in the system, but no courses showed. then I went to the registrar office and found out they didn't received my transcript evaluation at all.

I requested the exactly same service before, and Josef Silny did an OK job for me, that is why I continue using them. The college I applied need my evaluation asap, so I contacted my evaluator, and request an over night mail to the college, she said I have to paid extra shipping fee for this.

Who made the mistake??????????????????????ME???????
    Why should I pay the shipping fee for the mistake you made?????????

BTW, they don't have customer service at all, the only thing they can tell you when you call is to contact your evaluator.

Mr. Josef President, if you have a customer service number, please let me know, and let all your clients know.

• Fu
      28th of Apr, 2010

I suggest you all to contact the universities and tell them to not Silny's services any more. I cause a bad experience to them and it can compromise Universities' reputation.

I will do the same once Silny's customer service proved me that their services are horrible.

• Ti
      12th of Jul, 2010

I have just used this evaluation service and they have completely botched my evaluation!!!
    They refuse to fix it unless i PAY for a full report again...after THEIR mistake.
    Take your money elsewhere folks...i was even told by an official in my career field that they are known sharks and their practices are shaky. And after my experience i tend to agree

Oh and If you read this Mr Silny it is good business practice to allow your CUSTOMERS to actually talk to someone on the phone! I have rung several times and am NOT ALLOWED to talk to anyone!!! unheard of!!!

• Le
      24th of Jul, 2010

I found this discussion while searching for info on which foreign credentials evaluation service, if any, is actually professional, competent, and trustworthy. I have already been burned by one of these NACES / NAFSA member companies. Membership in these associations is supposed to be a stamp of quality, but - so far - complaints abound, and also so far none of these companies will give me an insight into their norms or standards. While most reputable businesses will let you know what you will get before you buy it, these companies won't give you the time of day before they have their nonrefundable money, then produce an absurd evaluation and brush you off if you ask for a correction. I understand universities, employers, government agencies, and certification boards when they don't want to deal with highly heterogeneous paperwork from different countries, but they should pick their evaluators more carefully. So far, I had hopes for Josef Silny & Associates, Inc. (JSA), since it is indeed BBB accredited and has an A- BBB rating at the moment of this writing. Having read the comments here, and having had difficulty reaching JSA by phone, I now wonder.

Mr. Josef Silny, President of Josef Silny & Associates, one way of demonstrating professionalism is transparency in one's norms and standards, so how about you lead by example and tell us, for example, the kind of U.S. equivalency as which your company would evaluate - say - 123 undergraduate semester hours with exit exams and degree conferred?

• Pe
      4th of Aug, 2010

My wife is from Argentina. She sent in her information about a month ago, after waiting to be quoted a complete price for all services that needed to be completed. She needed a translation and evaluation of courses and was to be charged 275 for all.
    After almost a month, we made a call this morning, after checking the status of her case, only to find a note that explained that she needed to contact someone in order for the process to be completed.
    When I personally made the call for her, I waited 20 to 25 minutes before being directed to someone that had an idea what the issue was. Now at this point the lady tried to upsell me on the idea that we had not sufficiently paid for all of the services that was needed. When I told her that I had received verbal and written price quotes stating exactly what was to be completed, she told me that she could not discuss the case any longer with me. That she needed to talk to my wife, who is always patient and gullable, and that it did not matter what was quoted, that the new price would have to be paid first.
    What she did not know is that I am a civil trial attorney and that I deal in consumer advocacy cases daily. That when you give a written (or in my state of FL) verbal contract, which we have both, you have to stick by that, no matter how much profit or loss your company has to eat, in order to back up the words and emails of your employees. Even in the event of the dismissal of said employee(s).
    So Mr. Silny, good luck and I think that you know that if I make this a class action suit, your outcome will not be favorable. Just based on the 30 complaints that you have to date since April 2009, I think that there are many more persons out there that have been mislead.

Just for consumer information, 16 of these 30 complaints have been initiated based on misrepresentations of sales presentations, failure to disclose key conditions of offers, or verbal representations not consistent with written contractual terms and agreements. None of which have been resolved by the BBB standards.

People check out the companies that you are looking to do business with ... 1st. Here are a few links that will help you to make a decision to not use this company.

Maybe we can try for a little bit of help from the State of Florida, in regulating your practices. Based on the fact that you are doing evaluations for persons seeking governmental employment. Our file should be found under Pereira-Fernandez, if Josef Silney happens to visit this site, in order to find out what the real people of the world think about how his company is doing business.

Service Details Back to List

General Service Info

Service Date 07/23/2010 Due Date 08/06/2010
    All Docs Received : Y

Document Received Date
    Not enough money for the requested services

Services List
    Request Date Service Date Service Name Fee
    07/23/2010 08/06/2010 Course-by-Course $130.00

07/23/2010 08/06/2010 Translation $145.00

Service Assignment

Assigned To Assigned Date Completed Date
    Pineda, Beatriz 07/23/2010

Service Comments
    On 7/28/2010 emailed and mailed client follow up letter asking her to clarify the services: she was given an estimate for the translation of 7 pages ($275) and she send an application requesting the translation and a course-by-course with a check $275. BP

Sir, I suggest that if you want to resolve this, you need to contact me ASAP instead of my messages being unreturned, infuriating me even more. It will be the 813 number that is on file.

• Im
      17th of Aug, 2010

The law firm where I have worked has done business with several credentials evaluators throughout the country. Josef Silny & Associates is by far the worst evaluation company that I have dealt with in over 16 years of practice. Where to start, I sent an evaluation and never got a receipt confirmation until I called them one week later. Finally they sent me an email confirmation stating the evaluation would be ready by a 08/04/10. I also receive my corporate online login information which did not work. The due date passes and I don't receive an update. Two weeks later I send an email requesting the status of the evaluation and get an email back that the evaluator needs additional documents. I ask them why I did not receive an email or any other nofitification about the missing documents that valuable time has been lost. Their answer was they were sorry.

This company treats you as if they were doing charity work for you even though their prices are higher than most evaluators My suggestion is if you need an evaluation of your foreign credentials "DO NOT" use this company, unless you want to be treated like charity work. There are too many good companies that provide outstanding service like American Evaluation and Translation Service. They will send you an email receipt confirmation as soon as they receive the application and give you a specific due date. If there are documents missing they were notify you within a couple of days giving you ample time to respond, in other words, if they need something they will let you know and not just seat on the evaluation wasting your valuable time like Josef Silny & Associates did.

• Gl
      16th of Sep, 2010

THIS IS THE WORSTE COMPANY THAT I HAVE DEAL WITH!!!
    They received my documentation and I NEVER/EVER RECEIVED BACK FROM THEM. They don`t know how handle the documentation, THE EMPLOYEE AND THE CUSTOMER...The employee that was handle my case was neglect and didn`t put all the efforts to try to solve my case. Those documents was my original one. They don`t have any receipt that they send my documentation back... just a copy of the self addressed stamped envelope U.S. priority mail that I sent to then in order to return the documents to me. I cannot track because my document never ever was posted... . So now I need to go to the Court to sue them for my missing documetns (irresponsability) and make them to pay for all my "new documetnation" from my coutrny (BRazil) and all the pain that I am suffering now.
    They are disorganized and after you pay the fee they don`t care about you, you try to call to them and have to be more than 30 min waiting on the line for someone to pick up the phone... . Unbeliveble!!!
    I tried 10 (TEM) TIMES TO TALK TO THE "Mr. Owner" to try if I can get better assitant but he is NEVER ARE AVAILABLE for your customer... .
    PLEASE MY ADVICE, DO NOT USE THEIR SERVICES.

30th of Sep, 2010

I had my credentials evaluated by this company on 2004. Their customer service is horrible, they do treat you as if they were doing charity and do not keep an electronic copy of your evaluation and after 3 years. You have to reapply if you need a copy after their timeframe. You need to go through the entire prcess again (of course I would never use this company again).
    Mr Silney, you constantly answer to all these complaints by defending your company instead of doing something to improve your services. I cannot beleive that you expect people to reapply and practically travel to their country of origin to obtain the paperwork again. In most cases, your costumers will need a copy of the evaluation after the three year period since they are now living in the US. You don't have to keep a hard copy, this is 2010, you can storage electronic information.
    I also had an incident where they stated in the evaluation that the University where I completed my master's degree was a public University, which was incorrect. I tried to get them to correct the mistake but the evaluator did not even answer my call. In addition, the board requested me a letter explaining the difference between Mexican and US credentials, J&S refused to do it stating that "they are not going to tell the board what to do".
    They also provided translation services and had a few mistakes in their translation that I tried to get them to correct, but never received a response or a call back. I would have never used J&S if I would have had more information about them.
    STAY AWAY FROM THEM.