Jerome's Furniture / Poor Customer Service

1 1190 West Morena BlvdSan Diego, CA, United States

Earlier this year we had purchased a living room set and a dining room set from the Jeromes at 1190 West Morena Blvd in San Diego. Initially the sales part of our experience was good. We had been told that the coffee tables and lamps were not in stock but that we should receive them in two weeks. We were scheduled to receive the couches and dining room set. The delivery was running late and eventually the delivery men came to our home at 2:00 a.m. By the time they finished unwrapping the furniture and left it was 3:00 in the morning! The next day I went to the store to discuss this and the fact that we had expected 6 chairs rather than just 4. I found out at that time that the order only called for 4 chairs so I purchased the other two and the store manager was kind enough to give me a credit to compensate for the crazy delivery time. Note that when we purchased the furniture we had paid half in cash and the other half was financed. The balance of the financed amount was paid off in a lump sum in June. Now we were waiting for our coffee table set and the lamps and did not receive a phone call or card or anything to let us know that it had been delayed. Overall, we had called every two weeks to find out what the status was and after two months of this we had to give up and cancel that portion of the order. Never once did we ever get a courtesy call to let us know what the status was for the remaining items. That is the first part of my complaint. The second part is regarding the finance dept. problems I've had. When I had gone back to the store and purchased those remaining two chairs I had paid for them using my debit card. I had thought that I was paying for them directly. I found out much later that the store had instead credited the GE Money account instead and then when the chairs were delivered, that account was charged. The problem with that is that I didn't know this was going to occur. When I got my first statement from GE Money I thought there had been an error. It took many phone calls all from me to figure out what had happened. Keep in mind that no one EVER bothered to take responsibility for getting back to me. I finally spoke with Sylvia Salas in the finance dept. and she was able to explain what had happened. I paid the initial amount that I owed but had asked that Ms. Salas have the late fee and interest charges reversed. She said that she would do that but it never happened. I emailed her several times after that asking her to follow up which she did not do. Nor did she ever contact me. I have finally given up and paid those outstanding charges since the effect on my credit scores is not worth the continued trouble. However I am disgusted with the level of customer service that we've received from Jeromes. I will make sure to tell everyone I know to never, ever shop at Jerome's. Overall the experience has been extremely frustrating and maddening.