Ivy Tech Community CollegeBad service

Ivy tech community college is a 2-3 year robbery. You advisor (the person telling what classes you need to take to graduate) and the records departments are obviously working off of two very different pages. I was told by my advisor that I was ready to graduate and to complete an application for graduation. Having done this I proceeded to order invits and all only to find out the the COM 102 class the advisor was supposed to be COM 101. In the process I ended up losing all of my financial aid so going to Ivy Tech cost me $9, 000 in student loans and any ability to further my education at all.

Each semester I attended I had nothing but problems with the financial aid department. I was either targeted for versification (having to submit my w-2 tax forms each semester and yes I mean the same forms two to three times a year) or the lost paperwork. In many instances I ended up failing classes because by the time I received by aid it was 2-3 weeks into the class and I had missed so much course work that a D was the best I could do. When I called to ask questions from the administrative staff they were rude and impersonal. On many occasions they cut me off and transferred me in mid sentence.

Ja

Comments

• Te
      Feb 20, 2010
    Best Best Advice

Totally agree, the student services at Ivy tech suck!!! It seems like every time I go to ask a question, I feel like I'm unwanted and disliked by the staff, which is how they treat everyone.

• Li
      Jun 14, 2010

I was bullied out... In two days time I was discriminated against by a teacher. Super strict ... quite the fascist. I decided to withdraw. I wanted to call my student advisor, but the receptionist didn't know why ... didn't know what student advisor was ... on and on. Finally I was transfered through to a different ( ? ) woman, who hung up on me. I asked to speak to a student advisor and SHE hung up on me. I call back and am transfered through to different departments, before a MAN with a calming voice ( think Jihad ) finally helped me. I was utterly shocked. I am planning on pushing through with my complaint. I mean I know when something should not be taken lightly.
    Now I am out. Need to find a different college...duh...not some communist peasant college from the Dark Ages ( y'know the book ). But I feel horrible. The staff is 100 % female. Manicuring, smacking, dubious females. I wouldn't trust them for the world. Yes. It is because they think they are Army wives or they live in another fantasy land. I mean it's Grunge basically, y'know a generation. I recognize the type of nasty. Get the hell away from them is what I know by now. Don't even try to argue.

• Ih
      Oct 18, 2010

Glad I'm not the only one, I to was treated like crap by these people, when I first went to Ivytech they acted like they didn't want me there and damn near pushed out of the door, they deleted my promisary note, so i was told then targeted me for verification of fin. aide docs., i went to enroll in a program and the advisor said no and just got up and walked out of her ofiice so i went to another program advisor and the same thing happened, then i went to yet another advisor and got the same rnaround. i finally got in and wasted 2 years and lots of money! WHAT A JOKE! this place is nothing but a cash cow, they have a monopoly on 2 year community college system in Indiana

• Iv
      Apr 20, 2011

I graduated in 1996 with a B.S. and wanted to pursue a RN degrees. I was told that all my classes wouldn't transfer because they were over 10 yrs old (12 yrs old) and needed to re-take all the pre=req's...english, psy, socio, eng, anat, list goes on etc that i already took from Butler University. I just took all of them & was just now told that I took the wrong math course & needed a different one, plus another one the RN program added. I told the person that I don't think it's fair that I have to take other courses after a bachelors & added ones & she wondered why my classes weren't transferred. She called back and said ivy tech never received my transcripts & if they did, the only courses I would have to take were algebra! This is 2 yrs of under-grad work I paid for that was unnecesary! and guess what, since I don't know who I spoke to, it's not their fault! I will be going to USI now, even if it takes an extra yr, but I'm making sure I tell anyone around Evansville how ridiculous this it!

• Cr
      Oct 24, 2011

Three months into the semester I find out my 5 credit math class wont be counted toward my gpa, not to mention they made me by a math book that we do not even use...The staff are very unhelpful, not well trained and never have correct answers for the students

• 50
      Jan 25, 2012

OMG!!! Totally un helpful at this school. Currently attending and was told I would be arrested if I did not leave while trying to formally file complaint. ARRESTED for being on MY campus by PRIVATELY OWNED SECURITY COMPANY for trying to find the proper channels to file my complaint. Can't afford any where else. As far as financial aid, tell them that you do not consent to have ur money sent to Higher One c how that goes Lol. Worked for me ;-)

• Ia
      Jan 30, 2012

my fiancee was just dropped and given the run around we will be speaking with a lawyer to get a class action suit going if anyone has been unfairly treated by this school and would like some kind or redemption please contact me [protected]@gmail.com
    we need people to get this started dont let this place take any more students money

• Ap
      May 16, 2012

I think that a lot of you have to reconsider your positions. If 'customer service' is all that you have to complain about that is not so bad. I am currently going to brown mackie, check that one out and see how much I am regretting that decision. I am actually going to transfer to ivy tech.

• Nu
      Sep 15, 2012

I agree. I am a nursing student in central Indiana and I am looking for another college to transfer into because I am not getting the instruction I need to succeed. I am worn out from the stress of trying to conduct patient care procedures with little or no training using equipment I am unfamiliar with. If I don't find another college to transfer into I'm done.

• Ro
      Sep 20, 2012

At every turn the process of enrolling, contacting anyone at the school, getting financial aid, and any other type of interaction or communication has been super stressful and confusing. Now that my son has had to wait 30 days for the refund on his loans he now is told he has to possibly wait another 14 days for the refund. I have never dealt with a more inefficient school in my life. Luckily he is transferring in the Spring to another school. I do think that there needs to be an overhaul of the school. Just because it is "cheap" does not mean it has to be ran poorly. I don't understand why they are so unorganized and everything takes so long.

• Ni
      Sep 20, 2012

If your degree is offered at any other school ...GO THERE! Ivy Tech misleads people on how cheap it is but my friend just transfered from Ivy Tech to IUPUI and she only paid 100 more for her classes than I did and we are taking the same credit hours. For the amount of hassle and stress caused by Ivy Tech Financial Aid department, its worth it to go somewhere else. My friend at IUPUI had her loan money in 2 WEEKS from the day she applied. I applied for a loan at the beginning of July and I called every week and got the same story " we are behind in processing loan applications and it should only be another week"...I called for the 6th time 3 days before classes started, wondering where my loan was only to be told I needed to submit another form!!! I was consistently told the wrong thing by 6 different people there. I am transferring to IUPUI next year because this stress is not worth it!

• Mo
      Nov 21, 2012

The worst thing I have found is the curriculum is wrong on the internet..and not only that the curriculum is wrong on the brochures that is sitting in their lobby. The advising staff doesn't even know which is correct. I don't blame the people that work in the offices so much as the management in charge. Also, whoever is making up the curriculum needs to look at job advertisements. I wanted to take PC Support but they wouldn't allow me to take all the electives I needed in PC Support, although other campuses allowed you to choose what you needed. I"m talking about the Evansville campus btw. For some dumb reason they made you select from different pools of electives and there were 4 electives I NEEDED but they were forcing me to take Networking when there were no jobs in my area for Networking.

• Dc
      Oct 24, 2013

thanks for the reviews guys I am currently a senior in high school and was planning to go out of state for college after graduation. My Guidance counselor knowing that I probably won't leave out of state right away suggested I take liberal arts or computer tech at Ivy tech while I am here in Indianapolis . Thanks to your reviews I know that would have been a bad choice.

• Li
      Feb 11, 2014

Ivy Tech is the worst. I too was trying to go back for my nursing and they told me my classes were too old. So i pulled out and never went back however, they have now put a hold on my tax check for state saying now i owe them money. How do I owe money when I never went back. Their financial aid office is the worst they pick and choose who gets what that is not right.. They run you around like they have never done this before. now they are in huge debt and want me to pay for it. Students are leaving because they make you take classes you do not need. their advising is horrible and they give students such a hard time. that is the real issue on why your college is going under. I switched colleges and it is so easy now with fafsa and getting the money I need and i hope everyone leaves ivy tech they are highway robbery.

Mar 05, 2014

IVY TECH IS A JOKE!!! I am actually an instructor there, part time, because they are too cheap to pay most of the instructors there full time money...so over the past 5 years, they've got rid of most full time instructors, and have gotten us part-timers "on the cheap". See, they don;t want to pay anyone full time, because it would cost them to insure those employees.

I do my best to teach the students what they need to know, and fully explain why they need to take my particular course...it kills me that the students are treated so horribly, and I only teach there for the money (what little it is) that I make.

After this semester ends, I will never teach there again. They are so poorly run, it's unreal. If you attend Ivy Tech as a student, LEAVE NOW, and transfer all your credits to Purdue Calumet (or somewhere reputable).

DO NOT ATTEND THIS 'COLLEGE"!!!

• Un
      Apr 23, 2014

After investing $ and time accumulating 72 credit hours and NOT having a degree I am being told that my classes that I previously took at Ivy Tech are to old and I would need to take an additional 3 more classes to obtain a degree...WOW this is straight up a $ making scheme; if the advisers that they have staffed would do what us as students money pay for then many of us would not be in a situation where you have multiple credits and numerous student loan debt for absolutely 0. I cringe at the thought of having to obtain 3 more classes just to have a AAS degree; seriously 72 credit hours is not enough for any type of degree at Ivy Tech; not even a General Studies because that has changed. Oh and the chair in charge was fired...hmmmm makes you wonder Don't it

• Ca
      May 22, 2014

I am glad that I am not the only one because it only tells me that it is just not me.

I transferred 42 credit hours from two different universities. I have already established myself with 3 different degrees from these other universities, so when I see something that is not right, I call attention to it. However, most students are transferring Ivy Tech credits to another school so they are less likely to stand up to issues.

Anyways, my most recent interaction was with the Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs at the Lafayette Campus and it was a joke. He kept telling me that my whistle blowing was boarderline but evidently none of the issues that I pointed out were crossing the broader. Simply meaning, if I kept up pointing out issues, I would be expelled. So instead of trying to address concerns and rectify issues I was only threatened.

If you can, go to a real college and skip Ivy Tech. You will only be treated second rate because it is automatically assumed you can't afford anything better.

Jun 04, 2014

Ivy Tech Sucks big time. How do I know?
    I work for them! We have limited permissions, and can barely do the requested job. Blackboard is hosted by Blackboard. Call them for Blackboard questions, don't call us, we cant see Blackboard ANYTHING. We used to have view rights but they took that away. That is, when Blackboard is up: their services are crapping out all the time. Worst yet, Ivy Tech farms EVERYTHING out to the lowest bidder. Books are from some scam book seller. Financial aid over the phone is from Kentucky.
    And no, nobody there cares who you are. You are chattel, money fodder to be wrung through their scam classes and joke of an education. I was also a student. No more.

• Te
      Jun 25, 2014

I USED to work for Ivy Tech (read my post above by "AnnonymousTeacher"...

So a update: I QUIT! At the end of the spring semester, I had enough. For a plethora of reasons, I said "Screw this!"

I had TRIED as hard as I could to teach as much as I could, but the school is VERY limiting by what one can do. Further, the textbook I was using cost the students $200...unbelievable. Most didn't buy the book, and my boss got pissy about that...something I had no control over.

Do yourself a favor and NEVER EVER work for these idiots. THEY DO NOT CARE!!!

There is NO ROOM FOR ADVANCEMENT if you are an adjunct: NONE.

This place is a meat grinder: students/new workers come in the fornt door, and end up as hamburger.

• Jd
      Sep 11, 2014

I have never been to Ivy Tech. I have been given the run around for almost 1 year now. This college does not communicate. I am told I have passing scores on accuplacer then I am told I need to redo accuplacer. One says its fine, another says bring up scores. One says my financial aid is in, another says there was an issue with aid. My ivy tech email says I cannot access because I have "no starfish" ??? but I am supposed to schedule orientation with ivy tech email. I am told by front office to use my personal email and that would be fine while they work on my ivy tech email issues. I email whoever they tell me to email about scheduling orientation. I am then told I must use my ivy tech email and I explain the issues with the email, they don't care. My email still not fixed and I still haven't successfully entered Ivy Tech.

• Th
      Apr 16, 2015

I have no idea what everyone is whining about here. I'm graduating from Ivy Tech in May and I've never had a problem with them. Look, you get what you pay for. The school is a stepping stone to something better. You go there, get your grades up, whatever you need to do and you leave. Be smart. Know what you're going for, talk to the advisors (who are actually very well informed and very kind in my experience) and they'll help you map everything out. All these naysayers are just upset. They expected more than they should have going in. It really isn't difficult to get what you need done. The books are a little pricey but don't open them until after your course instructor tells you you will need it. Remember, this is the LARGEST two year school in the states. There will be mistakes. You will not adore every instructor you have. You will not love every person you meet but that is the world itself. Ivy Tech Community College was good to me and many others.

• Mi
      Jun 02, 2015

Most of the people that whine are those not doing what they are supposed to be doing. Guy in my class took out $12000 in loans, dude, it cost $6000 to get a full degree! As far as the dude who is an adjunct, must not be a good teacher, if they don't offer you more classes. I just finished and was accepted to Purdue. I never would have done it without Ivy Tech!

To the babies out there, pull yourselves up and take charge of your lives. If you quit for a stupid reason, you really didn't want to go to college.

• Fr
      Jan 26, 2016

I for one am disillusioned by the process at Ivy Tech. I am a veteran and have experienced heath issues that forced me to withdraw from a couple of semesters due to treatments etc. I was informed that I was put on warning status due to time limits even after I provided the necessary paperwork requested, regarding hardship consideration for these semesters. They gave me one semester to complete 21 credit hours or I will be terminated. Before I fell Ill I had a 3.8 GPA. They are making it impossible to pick back up and finish. I guess this will be my last semester. I feel discriminated against.

• Ru
      Aug 30, 2016

Ivy Tech's Express Enrollment center is a joke. The department is ran very inept and inefficiently. The department will request information, when you supply it, they say they will make a decision in 10 business day. Understand that it is not two weeks, it is 10 business days and they will argue that point. But after 10 Business days, they will request for more information. If you bring in additional information they will tell you they do not need it. And again you wait another "10 business day" And just when you think you have submitted all the necessary documents they have requested, the will ask to submit the documents you previously brought in, the documents they said they did not need! I went into their off numerous times submitting and resubmitting forms for verification, I was even required to submit the same information twice. I called FASFA and they looked at my file and said everything looked good and could not understand why this --Financial Office was asking for this information. They gave me two departments within FASFA to file a complaint 1) FASFA Ombudsman Group [protected] and 2) FASFA Feed Back Office: www.feedback.studentaid.ed.gov. They have been very helpful. But I recommend you attend another college.