Homeland Healthcare / Borders on Fraud; GROSS MISREPRESENTATION

1 Charleston, SC, United States Review updated:

STAY AWAY FROM THESE PEOPLE!!! Long story short, when something sounds too good to be true, it nearly always is. I was suped into being toldthe health care policy I was exploring was a "special offer" that would allow me to sign up as a part of a group, and that there was "no way of knowing how long the special offer would last". When I went to Markel's website (one of underwriters), there was no info available except to brokers. When I received my computer confirmation today, I saw it was listed as Homeland Healthcare. Imagine my surprise when I saw a link on the same page to this complaint website. Feeling too stupid to live after reading all of the others' complaints, I found that the check card I had used for the purchase was still processing the charge, and after calling my bank found that the charge cannot be disputed until it actually goes through. (The company did not accept American Express, which should have been my first clue). I did call Homeland Healthcare directly and they sent me a form that I have to fill out and FAX or hard copy mail, and then "sometime" in about two weeks from that date they will issue a refund for everything except the "one-time setup charge of $99.) I hope I can get the bank to dispute the charge once it completes processing while I mail the cancellation form overnight by return-receipt-required. I wanted so desperately to believe. I will aso be writing to both my and their states' Attorney General's office, to all of my professional associations, to AARP, AAA and just for good measure, will also write to the US Senator from my state, the Hon. Lindsey Graham. PLEASE!! Stay away from this type of scam, and tell all your friends and co workers as well. I found them because I have a pre-existing condition (diabetes) and recently lost my job and cannot afford COBRA, even for the short term.

Ps

Comments

• So
      30th of Nov, 2011

So, psa1121, what was the scam? You neglected to tell us what exactly was the problem with the health plan that you purchased. Was it health insurance or not? Or did you just read the complaints and cancel without finding out if the plan was good or not? There is a 30-day free look period for insurance policies you know?

Full disclosure here, I purchased a SmartCare PPO 5 plan through a broker for my mother who is diabetic. Until then, NO major medical company outside her group plan at work (she was laid off and COBRA premiums were higher than her mortgage payment; she is 58 yrs old) would touch her with a 10-feet pole. This plan works. PERIOD! The insurance company for the SmartCare product is Freedom Life Insurance and they are a reputable company. Homeland Healthcare may have some complaints about them (which insurance company doesn't?) and the way some of their outside brokers (mine excluded) do business may leave a lot to be desired but all they are, from what I could find out, is a 3rd party administrator. At the end of the day, what you need to know is if the claims-paying ability of the insurance company is solid. My mother will have this plan for 12 months come February 2012 and we are extremely satisfied with this product.