Holiday Builders / shoddy workmanship is a fraud!

January, 2006 - Purchase of home to be built included sprinkler system, sod, and shrubs (additional cost of $2,990). In June of 2006 when construction was completed, we were advised sod must be laid to obtain certificate of occupancy. After it was laid, we were told of severe water restriction in area (we are out of state). Due to restriction, adequate watering could not be done to establish new plantings; hence landscaping died. Further, we discovered that the sod was laid in a very shoddy manner, with gaps between pieces, allowing weeds to overrun the lot.

Builder agreed to replace sod during rainy season. (We have this in writing.) After approx. 6 months, only a small amount of sod was replaced, and some of that was laid on top of old dead sod. We have received complaints from neighbors, our property management company, and notices from homeowners association threatening fines; Other landscape professionals have advised the job was not done in a satisfactory manner and that we were taken advantage of since we were not able to be on site. We had to constantly make phone calls and send emails, attempting to get the work done.

While waiting for the new sod to be laid, we had a landscape architect design a heat- and drought-resistant tree and shrub plan, and install same. In doing so, we spent an additional $2500 to replace the other dead plants.

Holiday Builders claims the installation was just fine and in keeping with professional standards. Other landscaping professionals have begged to differ. We sought restitution through the Better Business Bureau for Holiday Builders' failure to provide a quality product installed in a professional manner. Holiday Builders, not surprisingly, LIED in their response, saying we wanted it replaced twice and that no watering was done.

Though we have their promises in writing, they continue to DENY, DENY, DENY! They are not to be trusted!

Comments

30th of Aug, 2007

Kinda points out the problems of long-distance construction projects, and it sounds to me as though this homeowner didn't do his/her homework about the area he was building in, and is trying to blame the builder. Any local online newspaper (which I'd certainly look at, in addition to other resources that let me learn more about an area where I'm having a house built) will inform readers about local water restrictions. Now, I have to agree that it IS kind of stupid for builders to lay sod down when they know that it's not going to be watered, and I'd have thought a conscientious foreman might inform the homeowners that they needed to do something about that, or make some arrangements. As for water restrictions, some counties with these restrictions will allow daily watering of new sod enough to let it get established, this homeowner could have gotten that all checked out.

19th of Sep, 2007

I certainly wouldn't pay any attention to so-called "water restrictions" that would require my new sod to die. I'd water it as needed and let the bureaucrats have their little "### fit".

• Da
      20th of Apr, 2008

Holiday Builders Suck. They have been in Dallas/Ft.Worth for about 4 years now and have yet to turn a profit. Check out who their new "amassador" is. Hmmmm interesting!
    I wonder why they chose her???!!

• Da
      2nd of May, 2008

Holiday Builders Sucks. I should know, I worked for them. They will be closing up shop soon enough.
    They offer non competetive options, upgrades, and floorplans at non competetive prices. JOKE!!
    Hmmmm...I wonder what "the new ambassador" and the President may have in common???

I like rainbows.

• Ra
      27th of May, 2008

I too worked for them in the sales of these homes. This company over promises and had us lay our neck and reputation on the line for them, saying they will stand behind and take care of all and any issues. I'm here to say they are full of hot air!! I agree with above, it won't be long and they'll be outa here. Have lost money since coming to Texas. Home buyers trusted us in sales, but when it comes to managment, look out, nothing but lies and false promises. They treated there sales and builders the same way if that is any consolation. After you would make sales, new homes and specs, they would find excuse to fire you so they wouldn't have to pay out commissions. Check there track record on this, they have let many great sales people and builders go for that very reasons. Beware of any considerations to build with them or work for them.. BEWARE!! Run away from them as fast as you can

27th of May, 2008

TOTAL AGGREEMENT ON ABOVE STATEMENTS!!!

• Pe
      18th of Jun, 2008

I own a Holiday Builder home that was built in 2004 and I couldn't be happier and I would build another if I had to do it again!!!

18th of Jul, 2008

ONE IN A MILLION, I guess for Holiday Builder home that would be ONE in 1000. Cause they couldn't build any more homes than that without issues.

• Fy
      22nd of Jan, 2009

As long as you worked previously for Lennar you stay in good standings with Holiday Builders Dallas. Confidentiality is a joke and once you say something in confidence to the management, you soon learn it is told to everyone. They continue to get rid of good people only to keep those who are good friends with the Director of Sales. Dallas is allowed to violate several company policies with their little "relationships." How much longer will they be in business is the question. Stories from former employees about the Christmas party revealed even more startling findings.

• Th
      28th of Feb, 2009

Holiday fails to live up to the warranty of our home in Cypress Woods( Port St. John, Florida), Home is less than two years old, Had to get attorney to have them replace used Bath tub that was installed as new and the Garden tub has 18+ patches in it, Then the fake stucco fell off the front of the garage and the patch looks like shi?. Shop around and use another builder.

• Cn
      18th of Jan, 2010

Hey dopy there is no such thing as fake stucco. Also please stop beating ur Asian wife, I am tired of the screaming. BTW every1 in the neighborhood hates u.

• Cn
      18th of Jan, 2010

Also pay ur freaking child support

• Rh
      4th of Mar, 2011

my comment is to the first post. there are specific ways to water sod and landscape properly during drought conditions and stay within the guidelines of watering restrictions. i wrote the city of plano, tx' water variance database during the drought of 2006-2007, residents could apply for a variance to normal watering guidelines if they had a newly built home--not new landscaping to an existing home. plano had wonderful seminars for xeriscaping and proper watering techniques. if you water for 5 to 10 minutes and turn it off, wait 30 to 45 minutes water another 5-10 minutes, turn it off again 30 to 45 minutes and water a final time for 5 to 10 minutes, it allows the water to be pulled down deeper, encourage deep root growth and you don't have the run off created by turning the water on for a solid hour. http://www.wikihow.com/Water-Your-Lawn-Efficiently

• Un
      4th of Sep, 2011

I agree that Holiday Builders does shoddy work. We have a house in Ocala, FL built by them in 2002 and the place is now full of cracks in the drywall, the exterior, and the concrete slabs. The bathtub also cracked (it is a cheap plastic) and we patched it up ourselves. The shower stall in the master bath has cracked too (also cheap).

• Dr
      28th of Dec, 2016

Yes, Holiday builders is building in Freeport FL now. Unbelievable lack of quality and attempts to cover it up so that the buyer doesn't see it.

If you are considering doing business with them, and are reading this now, you have been warned. RUN> You will sorely regret it.