Higher One / Higher One

115 Munson Street, New Haven, CT, United States Review updated:
Phone: 8007195723

COLLEGE STUDENTS EXPERIENCE DELAYS IN FUNDING RELEASES AND USE OF FUNDS THROUGH THIS INSTITUTION:

The Higher One Debit MasterCard® is issued by Wright Express Financial Services Corporation pursuant to license from MasterCard International Incorporated. The card is administered by Higher One, Inc.

College Institutions have made a grave mistake in allowing this institution: Higher One to have exclusive 1st control over student funds:
1. Higher One dates showing FAFSA funds release never match with government. This company is seeing your student aide money before you and determining when to send you a card. It was two weeks behind my FAFSA disclosure letter showing my funds had been in Higher One's system - TWO WEEK. THEN HAD TO WAIT ANOTHER WEEK TO GET CARD.
2. DELAY TACTICS: Even though FAFSA recognizes who you are, the IRS know who you are, have had to send (5) faxes to Higher One with State ID, SS CARD, BIRTH CERTIFICATE, HOME LEASE, AND UTILITY BILL - to proof who I am. HELLO !!! FAFSA, IRS AND COLLEGES ARE ALL ENCRYPTED - VERI-SIGN SYSTEMS !!! WHY ARE YOU DELAYING STUDENTS WITH THIS NON-SENSE WHO NEED TO GET BOOKS AND LEARNING MATERIAL FOR SCHOOL !!!
3. THEN OF COURSE, ALL (5 ) FAXES NOT RECEIVED -- OKAY SO TRIED TO USE UPLOAD BROWSE FOR DOCUMENT OFFER ON WEBSITE. ONLY ACCEPT 250 KB'S - SO WHAT DOCUMENT YOU KNOW ARE THAT SMALL ON SCANS. TRIED JNG, TIFF & PDF LOAD...NOW WOULD TAKE !!!
4. USING THE CARD: FEE DISCLOUSRE DOES NOT TELL YOU - WILL CHARGE ATM FEE ON THEIR SIDE AND ATMS SIDE - SO YOU GET DOUBLE HIT WITH FEES.
5. ACCOUNT HOLDS: SO KEEP THREATENING TO HOLD YOU FUNDS UNTIL CAN VERIFY WHO YOU ARE !!! DUH !!!
6. DECIDE TO TRANSFER SCHOOL FUNDS TO A REAL BANK, SINCE HIGHER ONE IS OWNED BY WRIGHT FINANCIAL EXPRESS...A FINANCE COMPANY - NOT A BANKING INSTITUITION -- ONLY GIVEN RIGHTS TO MASTER CARD ISSUES.
7. KEEPS LOOSING FAXES OF ACH BANK TRANSFER FORMS : EVEN THOUGHT MY BANK FAXED TO THEM IN MY PRESENCE. THEN LATER DATE HAD TO REFAX MYSELF WITH PREV TRANSMISSION RECEIPT.
8. FINALLY ACH TRANSFER TO ANOTHER BANK SHOWS - OH GOD !! FINALLY.
NOW HERE'S THE NEXT KICKER...ONLY TRANSFERED ON SET OF MY FUNDS...NOT ALL MONIES AT ONCE...
** CAN YOU BELIEVE WHAT STUDENTS ARE DEALING WITH -- ALL THIS WHILE TRYING TO MAINTAIN A GPA...

*** FINAL DECISION: REPORTING HIGHER ONE- WRIGHT FINANCIAL EXPRESS TO THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) AND FAFSA - STUDENT.GOV. THEY HAVE NOT CONTROL OVER THIS VENDOR...NOR DOES THE STUDENT AND THE STUDENTS ARE SUFFERING THE PRICE...LITERALLY !!! ****

Le

Comments

• Aa
      Oct 16, 2012

Hello. My name is Aaron and I work with Higher One. I'd like to provide you with some additional information and resources to assist with your situation. It may be easiest to address your concerns in order you've listed them.

1. This is not correct. The refund process includes many steps, but begins at the school. In order for Higher One to disburse a refund, we must receive a "Refund File, " containing a list of names of students who are due a refund, and a corresponding "Refund Wire" with the actual money from the school. Higher One does not receive the money directly from the government. In order for Higher One to disburse refunds, we must receive both of the pieces of information above from your college or university. When we do, we disburse the money the same business day. Please see this link to Easy Help for full information on how the refund process works: https://www.higheroneaccount.com/easyhelp/pta?basepage=answer&type=public¶m=2145

2. Under the USA PATRIOT Act, Higher One is required to verify every person's identity who opens a checking account with us. Most of the time, we're able to do this automatically. However, sometimes we require additional information. Because Higher One's checking accounts are online only, and there are no branches, we ask that Customers submit copies of their Government issued ID either by fax, email or traditional mail. Please see this link for full information on Higher One's Customer Identification Program (CIP): https://www.higheroneaccount.com/easyhelp/pta?basepage=answer&type=public¶m=745

3. The best way to ensure your identity gets verified is by taking a picture of your ID, and attaching it to an Easy Help email. You can even ask for a status update right in that email. Here's how to include an attachment through East Help:

4. At the time of selecting your refund preference, every customer who selects a Higher One checking account is required to view the fee schedule and confirm that they have seen it. Additionally, you can find a link to the fee schedule at any time by clicking the link at the bottom of your account page, before even logging in, or while logged into your account. While using another bank's ATM does come with a fee, there is no fee for using a Higher One ATM machine. You'll also notice a column on the fee schedule labeled, "How to avoid this fee" that explains how each fee can be avoided.

5. This is related to Number 2. Please see the link in that answer for additional information. Again, this is a requirement under the USA PATRIOT Act.

6. Students also have the option to have their refund directly deposited into an existing bank account of their choice. Just like receiving refunds to a Higher One checking account, this is a completely free option. Here is information on how to set this up: https://www.higheroneaccount.com/easyhelp/pta?basepage=answer&type=public¶m=2153

7. Unfortunately fax machines are not perfect, and some faxes do not come through 100% clear. We apologize for the inconvenience however this is the nature of faxes. It is certainly not a "tactic" to deter people from choosing this option. You can also scan a copy of the signed ACH form, and attach it to an Easy Help email.

8. Higher One only disburses the amount of money that is sent to us by the school. Higher One will never hold your refund, or a portion of your refund. If you have not received the full amount of your refund, please contact your school's Business or Financial Aid office. It is not uncommon for schools to send a refund in batches, or in smaller increments. Please see this link for additional information: https://www.higheroneaccount.com/easyhelp/pta?basepage=answer&type=public¶m=641

We hope this information is helpful! If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact us in one of the following ways:
    --Call the number on the back of your card Monday-Friday 8 a.m. - 11 p.m. ET. After entering your card number and date of birth you'll be read your balance information. After this, press "0" to speak with an Agent.
    --Tweet @AskHigherOne Monday-Friday between 9 a.m. - 9 p.m. ET.
    --Use EasyHelp's “Ask a Question” feature by clicking on any EasyHelp logo when logged into your account. Simply fill out the information in the "Ask a Question" tab and someone will follow up with you through email.

• Jj
      Nov 04, 2012

HigherOne is awkward and laborious to get through, and alot of students get annoyed with it. Their only profit comes off of student's backs. The fees are ridiculous, and the only way to avoid them is pretty much to use one of their ATM's. That's if your account isn't getting hit by monthly service fees. It was designed by some Yale kids who saw an opportunity and took it. Which says very little about Yale I guess. Successful business? Yes. Creating something good for society? Well, some kids didn't have that dream I guess.

This company is a leech, and I hate dealing with it.

Aug 19, 2014

I am currently having the same problem. It has been two days almost three and they keep saying the information I am providing them isn't good enough. It is funny because I have sent in a copy of my ss card drivers lic insurance card proof of residence I have nothing else to provided but a urine test or a blood test. This is so annoying. I am to the end of my rope. I guess they do not realize students need this money to get things that are actually needed to complete class assignments. I will not ever use them again and I am currently looking into filing a formal complaint, not just on some complaint board so someone from Higher One to throw out false hope for other people.

• Me
      Feb 26, 2016

This is the most horrible bank ever. I am sitting here literally in tears and almost ready to commit an act of violence!... for a whole month these people have been holding on to MY money like they are doing me a favor. They have blocked me from their facebook page. I don't even know where to begin to tell. They lie and say they send out cards when they don't. This is to delay withdrawal. It's it strange they make you verify your name ss# address email telephone number school name - no that's a torture tactic they do this is the military and jails assign you a number to keep you in check the same method applies here.. because if you tell them no or that you are uncomfortable telling 10 people over and over your info they simply hangup.. so what do you do? comply!... I kept asking them where is this card - now after they sent me through the 3rd degree to identify myself to them- they mail a card with no tracking number? that's bullcrap! what reputable bank sends cards with no way to trace them with a 10 day waiting period? --- today I called and asked how do I just withdraw all my money and close they account they ignored me and kept repeating the instructions for ordering a new card... I can not believe that this bank is allowed to operate yet alone be tied to students. I have complained to BBB I am waiting to hear back from Higher One BBB told me they sent over my complaint... I wish I could post screenshots so that I can show you the multiple lies they tell... they told me they mailed a card two days ago I looked at the website it was not mailed until today putting me right back at the 10 day window so these people will have had my money going on two months. Also, I am behind in all my classes and it appears that I am going to have to drop out of school. I am looking for an attorney to take my case to sue my school and Higher One I know I am not the only student they are doing this to and the school needs to share some of this responsibility.