Grupo Nacional Provencial / Will not pay on insurance claim

We purchased a Mexican automobile insurance policy from GNP through So Ca Auto Club. When returning from vacation we were rear ended in a hit and run accident.

All procedures and instructions from the insurance company were followed. We opted to return to the United States and have the car repaired here and were assured that this would be no problem.

Almost 2 months later we still have no resolution and no vehicle to drive. The vehicle is operable however not drivable as the back bumper with license plate fell off and all rear lights no longer work. The estimates that we received from body shops state that the car is totalled.

I have called and e-mailed the company several times. I speak to one person then the following week I am told I have to speak to another person and then again the same thing. I am told they have to wait to receive the file from the office where the accident was reported, then I have to speak with the estimator who is currently unavailable...you get the picture. One stall tactic after another.

I have appealed to the Auto Club to no avail. The Department of Insurance cannot help...not their jurisdiction. I have submitted a complaint to the Attorney General's office and awaiting a reply.

My advice to everyone is to never purchase any kind of insurance policy from this company, Grupo Nacional Provencial. If you should ever have a claim you will receive nothing but the run-around.

Po

Comments

• To
      18th of Jun, 2009

I feel your pain. My husband & I were t boned in Ajijic/Jocotopec Jalisco State Mexico on Feb 6/09
    We reported the accident within six hours as thankfully we had only minor injuries. The next day an adjustor from GNP was sent out to see us and estimate the damage. For one he had more concern for the young Mexican boy that hit us keeping in mind this young man had no licence, insurance and also no registration and three weeks later still couldn't produce it. We were told by the insurance company and the so called traffic police that we were in the wrong and had to accept responsibility for the accident as well as the repairs on his vehicle.
    Keeping in mind that none of the above spoke english and we no spanish. We refused to sign anything and they then informed us if we didn't sign it would be tied up in the legal systym for up to six months.
    We paid an interpeter.
    Our vehicle was a total writeoff, this was confirmed by the GNP adjustor.However he couldn't make the final decision and it had to go through their systym and we like you were passed to no less than 25 people . GNP has done absolutely nothing for us and will not return my calls nor emails.We in good faith purchased insurance from them and they in turn are trying to get away with not paying.
    This is the most unreliable company I have ever dealt with and I strongly recommend that if you are travelling to Mexico to leave your vehicle at home or be prepared for the consequences. The traffic police could care less about us and I'm sure they didn't even file the incident. We hired a lawyer and even that didn't help us we just incurred more expense.
    I am working with the media to get this out to the public as they need to be aware of what can happen to you. As well I am consulting with the a lawyer here at home. Although this company is Mexican it is operating out of the U.S. and still needs to be held accountable.Don't stop your fight. And Tourists as sad as I am to say it Mexico is not a safe place to bring your vehicle and after this experience I have no desire to ever go back there and that's sad because we really liked it there and had planned to spend all our winters there in the future. We have several friends that left and said they would not return either when they saw what happened to us .Some even left early as they were afraid to drive there.
    Bottom line is DO NOT INSURE THROUGH GNP GRUPO NACIONAL PROVINCIAL
    Also cancelling your temporary permit is a nightmare as GNP helps you with nothing
    It is now four months and almost two weeks

16th of Nov, 2017

GNP is a terrible company. After we were rear ended by a bus in Veracruz GNP sent a non English speaking adjustet who estimated our damages at $24, 000 pesos which is roughly $1400 US and made us sign 2 documents that were written entirely in Spanish. When we refused they stated that there was zero chance the claim would ever be approved if we didn't sign, so we reluctantly signed. If we chose to get the car fixed in Mexico it would have taken 6-8 weeks so we returned immediately to the US. We sent the requested 3 estimates ranging from $6200-6700 to our GNP agent 2 weeks ago and they still have not approved any of them. So I'm driving around with no tail lights. I have little hope of a positive outcome in this situation. If you choose to drive your vehicle in Mexico, be advised that "full" coverage isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Inreally wish we had flown to Cancun and rented a car. This has been a very costly and time consuming mistake.

• Ro
      7th of May, 2018

Do not buy this insurance. We are being waiting for over a month the check for our claim and nothing. It is a fraud.