Gevalia Coffee / Unauthorized charge to my card

On 2 August I noticed a charge from Gevalia on my credit card statement. I queried the charge with my bank as I had not ordered anything from Gevalia, or signed up to anything from Gevalia. In fact, I didn't even know what they did or what they were until I looked them up online. The bank agreed to reimburse the charge as it was an unauthorized transaction and I went to the trouble of cancelling my credit card to prevent further unauthorized charges.

Imagine my surprise then when eight days later I received a package from Gevalia. I called their customer service to explain that I had not placed an order with them and that I had refused the charge to my card. And to repeat, they were NOT to send me things or attempt to charge me again. I was assured that it was all just a mistake and that I would receive no further communication from them.

What concerns me about this incident is how on earth my credit card details and address were obtained and used by Gevalia. I had not signed up to a special offer run by them, so it's not as if I was misunderstanding a free trial offer; I had not bought from them in the past so they could not have my card details on file. Their Customer Service representative tried to convince me that someone had hacked my card to place the order. But why would a scammer send me coffee, using my card?! Surely they would take the opportunity to buy themselves stuff?! All very strange.

Comments

• Sw
      14th of Sep, 2010

Okay. So I signed up one time for two free coffees. I got charged around $3 for the shipping. Next few days I received my coffee and I was excited. I don't drink coffee that much. But few weeks later these suckers sent me a box with 4 coffees!! I did not order any of them. At first I didn't think of it as anything and thought wow okay another box of coffee...it sat there for two weeks I didn't use any of the new coffees since I hadn't even finished half of the the free ones I got. Today I decided to check the box and there was an envelope on top I removed it and then I saw a $40 dollar charge that claimed I had already paid it!. So I called the company and explain everything to them and tell them to cancel my account immediately. Then the woman start persuading me I'll get $5 off for shipments if I continue. I tell her again I want my account canceled!!!. and guess what!! she keeps telling me about the special offer of $5 off blah. I mean what the heck is wrong with that lady!! for the third time I told her "I want my account canceled". She told me it'll be canceled within 3 days but I'll still be charged for the shipment of the coffee..what the heck!!
    Lesson learned: I'm not getting anywhere near that site!

• Jk
      14th of Sep, 2010

Exact same thing happened to me. I had never heard of Gevalia either before this incident. The odd thing for me was how the customer service rep thought nothing of it when I told her I never ordered from them. She didn't question anything. She just said OK, and credited me for what they charged me. I had already received the coffee maker, and she said I should just keep it and I could start up my membership any time I wanted by calling them. That does not seem to me like a thief doing a small charge to test security. I've always thought it was a Gevalia sales person that was having a bad month and decided to make fraudulent accounts hoping the person would decide to keep the coffee.

• Jr
      29th of Sep, 2010

I am in Tennessee and had the EXACT same thing happen to me. I had to notify my credit card company which immediately changed my number and overnighted me a new card. This is blatant fraud and it amazes me that the Delaware authorities don't raid the P O Box of these crooks in Dover, DE. The address they show on their shipment does NOT exist in Dover, DE. American Express is filing charges against them.

• Jk
      1st of Oct, 2010

Stealth, the original poster didn't give Gevalia any credit card info. NicolaW1 didn't buy anything, and neither did I. I just had charges from Gevalia show up out of the blue on my credit card. My bank at the time actually called me to ask me about that transaction as they thought it might be fraudulent. I don't think having the ability to read would help in this particular situation. Although I do agree with you for questioning what American Express is filing charges about in J Rich's post.

• Wi
      7th of Jun, 2011

Currently I am going through a big hassle with Gevalia. I've received several shipments without a problem until last month. Gevalia tried to deliver it to a Georgia address; I live in California! I had lived in Georgia until 2007, however, I wasn't a member under this account at the time. Furthermore, the address wasn't where I had lived, anyways... so, Gevalia sent another shipment along with billing me a second time. When I informed Gevalia customer service of the issue and asked them to close my account, Roger Paquette closed my account and argued in a few emails that I had indeed been credited and that my account balance was $0.00. I still have NOT received the second shipment and credit!

15th of Nov, 2012

I ordered 12 items and received only 10, but got charged for all 12. I may 5 separate contacts in 7 days to Gevalia to get refunded for the 2 items they never sent. NOTHING HAPPENED! I then filed a complaint with the BBB and got my refund 2 days later. How sad that such a quality product gets such a bad reputation form poor personnel. I'll never order online from Gevalia again!

• Bu
      4th of Dec, 2012

YOU MUST FILE YOUR REPORT TO Delaware Dept. of Justice directly because the business is located in Delaware. Here is the information. You can file a complaint online:

Gevalia's customer complain dept's rep's name is Veronica. Her contact no. is 1-800-343-8254 Option 1

Veronica called me prompted by DA from Delaware. She asked me to file the case to a local police department in your own town. With the police report, they can start the investigation by tracking down the IP address.

Hundreds similar complaints are going around on Internet. If all of the victims file complaint to DA and police, Gevalia finally gives in, I hope.