Gerdt Furniture / Chair and Ottoman!

1 Indianapolis, IN, United States Review updated:

I purchased a Chair and Ottoman in August of 09 from Gerdt Furniture. The items were manufactured by Best Furniture. Immediately upon receiving the items, I called Gerdt because of a problem with the chair. It is a retro sort of stripe. The side seam on the cushion was running along the top of the cushion. The stripes are also running at an angle. It is obvious by those 2 problems and bunching inside of the cushion upholstery that the core is too large for the cover, but the core is the right size for the chair. Other problems are the stripe is running at an angle on the back of the chair, the fabric is not centered on the chair, the list goes on. I sent it back once for repairs. One problem was fixed (not mentioned above). When I received the chair back the first time, I called again with the other problems. I was told to ONLY bring the cushion in to the store, by customer service. They argued about the other problems. I hung up and took the ENTIRE chair to Gerdt. A salesman for Gerdt total pointed out problems before I mentioned them and some I hadn't noticed! The main one being the upholstery was bunched on the back near one arm. I mean there are so many problems with this chair I couldn't find them all. It totally appears the chair is leaning due to the upholstery being placed incorrectly.

Okay, so I took the chair the last time on 11/6 to Gerdt. I never heard a word from them (customer service dept ) and called them on December 9. They told me my chair was at the Castleton store for pickup. on 12/15 I went to get my chair and NOTHING, I mean NOTHING had been done. The repair order was taped to the chair stating all the problems...mind you the salesman pointed many of these out and listed them on the order. 3 associates including the manager ganged up and said ALL that was going to be done was done! Hello, you didn't do anything. I took pics of the chair before taking it back to them. I told them I wanted a refund, and the manager said NO, we aren't refunding. Then she asked if I wanted to go ahead and take the chair today. I told her I was never taking that chair and I was going home and would be back with camera in hand to take pics of the chair after the repairs. Yes, she claimed the repairs had been made. Funny thing is, the arm covers were still in the very same spot I put them folded in the very same manner in which I folded them. That chair NEVER left the Castleton store, no way no how. When I returned with the camera, I asked who could take me to the backroom. One SA yells out, who wants to take her? (it was snowy and icy and no customers, lucky them). One man volunteered and stood and watched me take the pictures.

I have printed the pictures showing all defects, I took the repair order OFF the chair and have it, and I am writing a letter to the CEO and giving him 7 days to give me a full refund, or I am taking them to small claims court.

My SA at Kittles looked at the pictures and the repair order, PREPARED by Gerdt in Castleton, and said it is a no brainier. Gerdt has the money, and the chair, and I have the acknowledged repairs prepared by them. How bad can service get? I call this as bad as it gets. Do they really think I am going to let them have my $1200?

Oh and the manager said to me that I needed to take the chair because they couldn't sell it and they didn't want it. Hello! I told her who would want it, and walked out. The salesman who wrote up the repair order was there today but totally kept his mouth shut and far from me. I guess he is worried about his job. I didn't mention what he pointed out and how he said the chair was unbelievable but it will come to that. I am not wanting to cause him problems, but I am not going to lose $1200 or accept this crazy looking chair.

I know for sure, the chair was not sent to Smith Brothers either time, and thought about contacting them. I am not doing that because they let this chair leave their factory. Why would I expect anything better next time?

And yes, I sooo badly wanted this chair. I purchased a large and quite expensive area rug from Capael rugs, totally based on this chair. My other furniture is a brown leather... now I have this area rug (positively beautiful with the chair) that I must find something else, from another retailer to match up with it!

De

Comments

• De
      27th of Dec, 2007

That would be purchased ON August 9, 2007.

27th of Dec, 2007

update...I was called by Frank Schumacher. He claims to have looked at the chair and it is EXCELLENT. I have pictures to prove him wrong. The rep from Smith bros has also called me and offered no resolutions to date.

I was so angry when I submitted my first post that I called Smith Bros, Best! I keep saying Best because I was told they were one of the best furniture mfgrs. The chair WAS made by SMITH BROS..NOT Best

• Br
      28th of Dec, 2007

I had a similar problem with Gerdt Furniture and Frank Schumacher and was forced to sue them in small claims. This seems to be their standard business practice.

29th of Dec, 2007

I am going to sue them as well.

• Fr
      8th of May, 2008

You have such issues Debbie. I wish this was more recent so this would bring more attention. Do you think anyone feels sorry for your troubles when you stalk people on the internet for a living? Someone should start a board with all complaints about you alone.

9th of May, 2008

The above person posting as Freedom of Speech is a known online stalker, and convicted criminal in Maryland, Heather Linette Sinclair.

She has a known history of criminal charges and mentally disturbed behavior. Local authorities are very familiar with her and an investigation into her behavior and the potential danger her child is in has been started with the Department of Child Services in Salibury, Maryland. Anyone with any information or documentary evidence of her stalking, threats and criminal actitivies are encouraged to report it directly to:

Wicomico County
    TEL (410) 713-3900 or (410) 713-3497
    (After hours: 410-548-4891) Sheriff's Ofc.
    FAX (410) 677-4830

201 Baptist Street
    Salisbury, Maryland 21802-2298

Her son's name is Ferdinand (Howard) Sinclair, they are familiar with the name and have an open case file.

Others here in her area have filed complaints, and we encourage everyone else to do so. We've tried to get a mental competency hearing regarding her, and we will continue to do so.

You should also let her ex-husband, Howard Sinclair, know what has been this woman's continuing behavior. He has an attorney that knows what to do with the information.

• He
      6th of Jun, 2008

The above post is libel and defamation. You do not have my son's correct name nor do you have my correct location. You have posted that I am a criminal and this is libel and defamation, I have no criminal record. Please educate yourself on the proper legal definitions.

I believe the person who posted that you are a stalker is right. Only such a person would post information like it's true. You may think that you can post whatever you want about a person and you can hide behind different names but your IP tells everything.

You are a very sick lady. Please get some help. They shouldn't allow people with mental disorders such as yourself to even have access to the internet.

Such a shame!

Stalking tactics like this are being taken care of and have already hit the media. I can't wait to see how this sick lady defends herself with the media camped out on her lawn.

22nd of Jun, 2008

Hey, I only posted about a chair and ottoman. If you are saying I posted about you, then you are incorrect. Since we are on the subject why would you call me an internet stalker?