Gemoro Goldsmiths / Be aware - extremely unprofessional service!

1 Canada Review updated:

I purchased an engagement ring from Gemoro and a loose diamond at Spence. Gemoro set my diamond and chipped it in the process - the value of the entire ring has decreased by approximately $12,000.00 as a result of the chip in the diamond caused by Gemoro during the setting process.

I have had two independent gemologists/appraisers examine the ring and both confirm that this type of damage occurs during the setting process. Gemoro is claiming no responsibility and are being extremely unprofessional.

Be aware... buy at your own risk from Gemoro Goldsmiths in West Edmonton Mall or better yet, save yourself a huge headache and buy elsewhere!

Tr

More Gemoro Goldsmiths Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Ca
      30th of Jun, 2007

I agree with Travis. I bought an engagement ring elsewhere and had Gemoro make us a wedding band. When I picked up the wedding band the diamonds in the ring were offset. I took it back, to this day one diamond still is offset to the visible eye. Within three months of wearing my wedding ring, the band started developing small holes. I have talked to other goldsmiths and they stated that Gemoro used old gold for this to happen. After numerous phone calls I was able to talk to the goldsmith, Paul. He said he would fix my ring, however he did not explain how he would do this. I do not want my ring fixed I want a new one with new gold, because that is what I paid for. The sales reps at the store are useless as well. I agree and everyone should avoid shopping at gemoro unless you want a headache and disappointment.

24th of Aug, 2007

I was in the market to purchace a rolex and went to gemoro and felt nothing but pressure between the staff talking about me in an another language when i heard them both speaking english and the harrassment about me wanting to think about it i just felt belittled and out of place . So i went to swedish jewllers and was treated with nothing but respect. beautiful place friendly staff i recommend this place for anyone looking for a highend timepiece ask for hector. i went back to gemoro with the new rolex i bought at swedish jewllers and they wouldnt even talk to me good bussiness practice.

• Ke
      7th of Oct, 2007

I totally disagree with the notion that the people at GemOro are useless. I have purchased two Rolex watches from them and feel nothing but satisfaction with the service. The gentleman who help me choose my watches was an encyclopedia of timepieces and extremely professional. I felt absolutely no pressure for any amount of time while I was there. As for the other staff, they were all very friendly and helpful before and after I purchased my watches. They treat people with the utmost respect that anyone would expect to be treated with.

• St
      28th of Nov, 2007

I Have made many purchases from GemOro, they were excellent help and very professional. Even the first time I made a purchase for only $2500, they were just as helpful and eager for my business. I think you acquired bad service buy insulting them by buying there ring but not there diamonds. Maybe if you weren't stupid and did all your business at one place instead of being a big cheapskate.

• Fr
      18th of Apr, 2008

I completely disagree with the negative comments made regarding the service at GemOro.
    I have purchased 5 watches (4 Rolex, 1 Zenith) from GemOro and recieved absolute professionalism and courtesy during each visit. The sales associate was extremely helpful and did not pressure me in any way. A basic rule for you: Treat others with respect and they will treat you with the same.

• Me
      4th of Jun, 2008

The last 3 emails from Keith, Steve, and Franck appear to use the same English language style and they use the same character spelling for Gemoro. Frankly, I smell a rat. This company ought not to have let Candyce and Chris leave their shop dissatisfied. That is enough to persuade me not to buy at Gemoro. I'm off elsewhere.

19th of Sep, 2008

I will NEVER enter another Gemoro store again. I will advise every person I know of the unprofessional service and ignorant staff. My boyfriend purchased an earring/necklace set for my birthday and the chain that came with the set was a choker necklace. We took the set back to the store to exchage the necklace for an 18" and were assisted by a polite and friendly gentleman, who then proceeded to ask his "dark, uptight, snot filled" co-worker for assistance in aiding us. This woman, with dark hair to her chin was rude, and unprofessional. The woman took out several chains for me to view, and became rude when I advised her I did not care for some of them. I found one that I liked and she put the pendant on it then placed it around my neck, She then proceeded to tell us that we could not exchange anything as it is a "set" (It's only the chain, not the pendant) and we would have to keep the original and "re-gift" it, then purchase another chain but would give it to us for half the price. Why would I want to keep a chain that does not fit, that we already paid full price for and then purchase ANOTHER one. I will contact the store manager and then his manager and then his manager.

• Se
      22nd of Sep, 2008

good i found this site. was about to go there for a rolex. will head to swedish.

21st of Jan, 2009

I'm very happy that I read all the negative comments about Gemoro. I would buy my Rolex somewhere else.

• He
      7th of Jul, 2009

I agree 100%!!! Just bought a Tag Heuer there last week. I had been looking at the particular watch for a couple of weeks and deciding if I wanted to buy it. Well I finally bought it only to find out that 2 days later Tag Heuer was having a promotion that gave anyone who purchased anew Tag a pair of Tag Heuer Sunglasses ($330 value). I contacted them to see if they could do anything and was told to buy my wife a Tag if I wanted the sunglasses. Nice cusotmer service!!! I will never buy anything from Gemoro again and will shout from the rooftops so no one ever buys from there again.

• Vw
      27th of Aug, 2009

I have went to Gemoro and was shopping for a watch for my wife, the sales staff was ok, but that could be because I'm asian and the one helping me was asian. As for knowledge of watches, it's an unfair advantage because I love watches so thus I know quite about of history on certain brands. Anyways, I didn't buy there. I did go to Swedish and your right Hector was great, I saw the Raymond Weil watch at Gemoro and was just temped to see if Swedish had it and they did. I gave them a price that Gemoro gave me and they matched it as well as gave me a bit more of a discount. However, I am going to test the service out because I just noticed a small scratch on the side of the watch I'll be bringing it back to see what they can do for me.

• Lu
      24th of May, 2010

Despite the tremendous advertisement effort in Edmonton, Gem Oro will have to endure the closure of their second location.

Gem Oro's failed attempt to reach out to the upper crust of Edmonton has been overall handicapped by their uncompetitive pricing and poor service/product knowledge. It forces the client from what should be an enjoyable shopping experience into one that is hampered by false-faced sales people with dollar signs in their eyes. It's not as though their sales staff are short on appearing sophisticated--not at all. But don't be easily fooled by the meticulously dressed sales staff; they too play lame calculator games with you like hungry car salesmen. Even though Gem Oro's sales team is diverse and multi-cultural, they can be rude and dismissive when they realize they don't have a sale.

Lately, I have found myself walking in only to be disappointed that they cannot beat the pricing of other local jewelry stores. What kinds of people don’t mind paying more money for a product and getting free stink-eye from the sales lady? Being met by rude salespeople who look at you like you’re out of your mind because low competitive pricing doesn’t exist speaks for their lack of professionalism. I can’t say I’m sad to see one of Gem Oro’s locations close for good.

Overall, Gem Oro is lousy with no foreseeable improvement to their customer service. If all you want is a stress-free and no-frills shopping experience, the Costco jewelry counter is not bad for the flavor of the month items; they’ll occasionally carry Rolex, Breitling, Omega, Cartier, and Tag Heuer. If cost is your only concern, I have also found that online, Jomashop outpaces Gem Oro by leaps and bounds—and yes, you still save bundles after the shipping and taxes are considered.

• Pr
      23rd of Jun, 2010

I have to agree with all the negative comments regarding Gemoro (Wested Mall location). On my first visit I've got an OK service - the lady was helpful, but it felt like you're getting the watch on the street. Other salespeople are talking too loud, making comments about customers, etc. - so the whole setting is not what you would expect from an expensive jeweler. It really feels like they don’t respect the customer. Maybe it’s just me, but I felt that way. On my second visit, when I actually was going to buy the watch they offered around 5% discount (only if I pay cash), however, when I told them that still, it’s way above the average price and it’s possible to get exactly the same model significantly cheaper I was told – “Nice try…” . Well, you understand, that I would never go there again. Why did I go there in a first place? Because I do shop in WestEd Mall and their store is there (hope not for a long time). As for overly positive comments – it’s obvious they made by same person.
    I have to agree with LuxLife – you can get a much better deal at Costco (they don’t carry Rolex, but some Omega, Cartier, Breitling and Tag models are already there). And you can get great deals online – even if you have to pay 5% duty and 5% tax. Shipping is usually included in the price (or will cost you about $50). So, please, do yourself a favor – get your next timepiece somewhere else.

• Ed
      6th of Jul, 2010

I personally had no issues purchasing my Submariner at Gemoro. I got prices from different places, played a bit of hardball and paid less than any of the other stores. (Online, Swedish, Toronto, even got a price from Europe through my family). People were nice and they did not even charge for an extra link for the wristband...But here is the kicker: My buddy bought Cartier a week later. I paid for it with my credit card because his does not have a high limit. All went well. A month later we went in again to window shop and the same salesperson ask my buddy if he would like to make another purchase and let his SUGARDADDY pay for it again. ------------Pardon the efff me.---------- My wife was with me in the store and went ballistic on the salesperson. The sales person apologized and explained that she thought that we were gay lovers buying watches for each other. I probably could start some kind of lawsuit. Nope, I'll just go to Swedish instead and buy my wife her christmas gift there.

• Wh
      14th of Jul, 2010

To add to this, they are pretty useless with repairs too. I have a vintage Omega speedmaster in need of a service. Anyhow, it needs a few parts and the crystal in not a proper Omega one. My local watchmaker can order the parts but it'll take about 3 weeks for the work plus 2 -3 weeks for the parts. Cost about $350-$400.

I pop in to Gemoro and ask them if they can do it. they say sure. Bring it in, they will will send it to the Toronto Service Center. About the same cost plus $75 delivery. Should take 3 - 5 weeks. I also get a two year Omega warranty. So I think lets do it. So I give them the watch, they say after a week they will call me back to let me know the exact costs.

Time passes. I call a little over a week. Oh no sir, nothing yet. I call them after two weeks. Give it another week. It has now been three weeks and they still have nothing. So I polietly ask, why it is taking so long since I was told 1 week for the quote and 3 to 5 weeks in total. Lady tells me in no uncertain terms that it could take up to a month to just do the appraisal and they won't even call the service center until then!!

If they had been straight with me I would have said thank you but i'll use my local guy. Useless!! just after the money.

A warning to those buying a new omega in Edmonton, they are the only Authorized Dealer in Edmonton so these are the folk you would have to deal with!!

30th of Jan, 2011

I went in to Gemoro yesterday to enquire on the cost of a Croc Camel strap as a replacement to my current leather strap on a Breitling Navitimer World (purchased from them in 2007)
    The lady said she had one.. she did, but a brown croc strap and I said that wasn't it. She pulls out the "book" and says there are only three straps and this is one of them. There is no croc camel colour... "it's probably aftermarket".. whatever the heck that means.
    I went on the Breitling website and you can "build" your watch and there I was adding the croc camel colour strap to the Navitimer... If it's on their website, then obviously they have them but she was PUSHY to try a quick sale and sell me a strap I didn't want...

I have found they are a pushy company with pushy associates and my opinion of them has gone down significantly.

19th of Aug, 2011

I have had mixed experiences here, some of the sales people are fairly knowledgable and helpful (some know next to nothing about the products however), but on the whole they are quite rude and snotty, and they clearly do ignore potential customers based on their appearance.

Worse than this though is their after-sales service, they tried to charge me $75 'shipping' for in-warranty service on an Omega watch that I purchased there. When I phoned Omega Toronto's customer service they sounded quite shocked at this.

They are the only authorised dealer in Edmonton for several brands, however based on their terrible after-sales service (I basically have to ship the watch back to Omega myself), I would buy instead from any other authorised dealer in Canada or the U.S. - there is no advantage to buying from Gemoro as they have no interest in you once they have taken your money.

• St
      20th of Oct, 2011

Gemoro didn't seem to mind selling me 2 Omega watches, a gold ring & a gold necklace (grand-total = $7000+) only to later on make me feel like dirt when I had a problem with 1 of the watches & asked for their help.
    Never again.