Ge Profile Dishwasher / Rinse-aid dispenser leaking problem

GE Appliances - www.geappliances.com

Sub: GE Profile Dishwasher Recall Repair - Not a True Fix - GE Removes the Sound-Dampening Insulation

In August 2007 I had my GE Profile dishwasher serviced for the recall concerning the leaky rinse-aid dispenser and its associated fire hazard. GE's solution was to replace the wiring harness (on which the rinse-aid had leaked) and remove the sound-dampening insulation (which was soiled with rinse-aid). The thick layer of insulation that previously had insulated the entire door was replaced with a piece of tissue approximately 1 foot x 8 inches which was pasted to the inside of the door panel. GE calls this "insulation," but it in no way provides any sound dampening whatsoever. My formerly quiet dishwasher is now very loud as there is absolutely nothing there to deaden the sound.

When I called GE, I spoke to a number of individuals and their supervisors who told me this is the fix, and it is final - they will not replace the insulation that they removed from the door. Of course I understand why GE doesn't want to put any insulation in there, because their "fix" does not fix the true problem - the rinse-aid dispenser still leaks to the inside of the door, and if you put the insulation back in, it would probably add to the fire hazard.

The final offer of consolation from GE was a 50% discount on the purchase of a comparable new dishwasher, with shipping charges waived. Ridiculous! They ruin my dishwasher, and now they want me to pay for a new one? When I bought a GE dishwasher, I paid for the "quiet" performance. My dishwasher is no longer the quality appliance I had before. I could have achieved the same noisy effect with a cheap dishwasher from the discount store.

All I want is for GE to repair the rinse-aid dispenser so it does not leak, and I would like GE to replace the sound-dampening insulation they removed from the door in order to return the dishwasher to its previously "quiet" state.

Va

Comments

• Be
      9th of Jan, 2008

I am so happy there are consumer websites like this one to help inform me of issues before I blindly run myself right into them! GE got in lots of hot water years ago for not offering to repair recalled products. Now they DO offer 'repair' - or so they claim.
    I looked at their recall info website and saw the following regarding the Profile defect: "Over several years, normal use of liquid rinse aid in some models results in a concentration of rinse aid on the wires inside the dishwasher door." So I called them. I told the woman I had used Jet-Dry only a few times, back when the dishwasher was new, so I was hoping they could just send me the little rinse-aid cap they have that apparently seals off the dispenser to keep anyone from using it in the future. "Oh no, we CAN'T send you a cap" she replied... "because you HAVE used rinse aid before!". What happened to "OVER SEVERAL YEARS OF NORMAL USE"??

I then asked about their proposed 'fix'. Funny how the leaky dispenser does not get replaced or fixed! They simply rewire instead, AND replace the insulation with paper-thin stuff. I asked if the free 'fix' would leave me with a quiet dishwasher, and was told, straight out, NO.

Is my dishwasher safe? Who knows. What I do know is that I am not eager for GE to destroy my 'Quiet Power III' feature with their sorry excuse for a 'fix'!

• De
      26th of Jul, 2008

WE PURCHASED A GE REFRIGERATOR JULY 11. TWO DAYS LATER ICE WAS BUILDING IN FREEZER. CALLED SERVICE JULY 13. CAME OUT JULY 18 AND SAID THAT IT IS WAY IT IS DESIGNED TO WORK. GASKET ON DOORS NOT TIGHT NEITHER. INTO THE SECOND WEEK, THE ICE AND FROST EXPANDED - COVERING ALL COMPONENTS IN FREEZER AND ICE ON ALL PACKAGES AND FOOD. JULY 22, WE CALLED TO COMPAIN ABOUT THIS. "SERVICE TECH", USE THAT TERM LOOSELY, CAME AND SAID I TOLD YOU LAST WEEK THIS IS FINE AND THE WAY IT IS SUPPOSED TO WORK. SHOWED HIM GASKET AND HE PULLED IT OFF THE FREEZER AND REFRIGERATOR AND SLAPPED IT BACK ON. SAID THERE WAS NOTHING TO BE DONE AND SAID THAT ANY OTHER TECH IS GOING TO SAY THE SAME THING. NEEDLESS TO SAY, THIS CONSUMER IS UNHAPPY AND IS ON A MISSION TO GET THEM. IT IS A DISGRACE THAT ANYONE HAS TO GO THRU THIS - LET ALONE WHEN AN ITEM IS CONSIDERED "NEW". THE RETAIL STORE HAD TO FINALLY TAKE THE LOSS FOR THIS ITEM WHICH IS DESPICABLE. SHAME ON GE AND THEIR "SPECIALLY TRAINED TECHS.

• Da
      14th of Sep, 2008

I have the same problem. It leaks, is loud and now it is not draining. GE broke my dishwasher & won't replace it. I won't be buying their products again I can you that.

14th of Sep, 2008

This cap thing on the dishwasher, have you considered using two part epoxy called plumbers mate available from most DIY shops like B&Q to simply seal the area thats leaking permanently its probably against their idea of a fix, but once you've done it what are they going to do about it? Note this is a perm fix, the epoxy will harden as tough as concrete. Plumbers use it for sealing a leak on radiators.

13th of Oct, 2008

This EXPENSIVE G.E. dishwasher ( triton quiet power II) I purchased for my new home a few years back is doing exactly what everyone else is complaining about. Of course now there is no warranty but I bet they would have brushed me off anyway even if if it was still under warranty. The technician came out, ripped out the insulation, put a new harnesss on and left. Immediately I noticed this was not the quiet dishwasher I had originally paid for. It is now so noisy we cannot watch and listen to television anywhere near the kitchen or carry on a normal conversation anywhere near it. The technician even lost some screws that hold the door together. He had no replacements so he just forced in some steel cut screws in their place which were odd balls he had in his truck or trash I guess. It looks rigged now.
    Now, to top it all off water is leaking out of the bottom of the door. I took it apart and found that strip type seal on the bottom was twisted and off its track so no wonder it was leaking. It basically fell apart when I tried to straighten it and get it back on track. I know the technician somehow caused this when he fixed?? the wiring harness recall. Now I get to try to find and replace this strip which is probably not cheap knowing G.E. parts.

This is a bunch of crap G.E. is doing to everyone and you know this has happened to thousands of owners. We just happen to be a few who have looked it up on this web page and are writing and complaining about it.

There ought to be something we can do since this is such a mass problem but I have no idea how to go about putting enough pressure and complaints on G.E. to get results. Perhaps someone smarter and more influential than I will at sometime come across our complaints and have an idea. I will not be purchasing G.E. appliances any more .

• Ti
      1st of Feb, 2011

My GE Profile dishwasher was on the recall list. I have had 5 technicians come to replace the control panel and it has once again gone out. I am furious... I just spoke with another person at GE and they informed me that they will have a another technician come out to find the problem. If it is not related to the recall, then she stated they will try to save me some money on a new one. This is unacceptable. What can I do???

• Jc
      6th of May, 2011

I'm having major condensation problems with the GE Profile to the extent that it has blown out the control panel, dissolved the mortar in the tile on the counter above it, and now the unit is completely useless-nothing lights up on the control panel. I guess I'm lucky it didn't start a fire. What's more, my unit's model number is not even on the recall list (yet). GE has major problems with the design of an entire class of dishwashers. Flimsy plastic in their Profile refrigerators, too. I had a Bosch that I bought for my old house and had to leave behind; should have gone with what worked for me in the past. I can tell you I won't make that mistake again. GE has totally botched this issue and will be paying for it dearly for generations of consumers that will not trust their products. If you had done your research and read this, would you really buy a new GE product?