GAP / horribly rude customer service

Schenectady, NY, United States Review updated:
3.9
I called the Gap customer service after I wanted to get a price adjustment on a piece of clothing within the 14 days they allow you to do so. The customer service woman on the phone was rude to suggest that my request for a price adjustment was outside the 14 days when in fact it was not, making it sound like she was doing a 'courtesy' favor for me for adjusting the price when I was actually entitled to it by bringing it up to them within 14 days of purchase. She also had the nerve to insist that I should call or e-mail the company within 14 days of my order. I told her I had e-mailed them within the 14 days, and that I was following up on my request by calling. She said I should have called within the 14 days to follow up. I told her that I had not gotten an e-mail reply to my adjustment request, and that 14 days had elapsed since then, and I was now calling them to follow up. She said I should have still tried to call within the 14 days. I told her that if I had written an e-mail on the 14th day, and not received a reply, I would have had no way to call within 14 days while waiting for a reply. She did not understand this point. She had a very rude and impatient temperament, and did not understand or accept the point I had made, and tried to insist I should always try to contact them as well as follow up within 14 days. Since I was getting nowhere, I asked that she simply make the price adjustment. She wouldn't let it go, and said in a whiny voice, 'I already did that, but I'm trying to tell you that you should have called us within 14 days to get the price adjustment!' What an rude, impertinent, and argumentative idiot of a customer service rep. People like her should NOT annoy and badger customers with rude nonsense and actually LISTEN to the point the customers make to them. She should not have behaved like this and should not be in such a customer service position to begin with. It was a totally annoying transaction just to get a price adjustment from a holier-than-thou and argumentative Gap employee, which makes me not want to deal with purchasing from them again and have to deal with such ###s. Be warned of such people at the Gap!
St

Comments

St
  29th of Aug, 2008
I called the Gap customer service after I wanted to get a price adjustment on a piece of clothing within the 14 days they allow you to do so. The customer service woman on the phone was rude to suggest that my request for a price adjustment was outside the 14 days when in fact it was not, making it sound like she was doing a 'courtesy' favor for me for adjusting the price when I was actually entitled to it by bringing it up to them within 14 days of purchase. She also had the nerve to insist that I should call or e-mail the company within 14 days of my order. I told her I had e-mailed them within the 14 days, and that I was following up on my request by calling. She said I should have called within the 14 days to follow up. I told her that I had not gotten an e-mail reply to my adjustment request, and that 14 days had elapsed since then, and I was now calling them to follow up. She said I should have still tried to call within the 14 days. I told her that if I had written an e-mail on the 14th day, and not received a reply, I would have had no way to call within 14 days while waiting for a reply. She did not understand this point. She had a very rude and impatient temperament, and did not understand or accept the point I had made, and tried to insist I should always try to contact them as well as follow up within 14 days. Since I was getting nowhere, I asked that she simply make the price adjustment. She wouldn't let it go, and said in a whiny voice, 'I already did that, but I'm trying to tell you that you should have called us within 14 days to get the price adjustment!' What an rude, impertinent and argumentative idiot of a customer service rep. People like her should NOT annoy and badger customers with rude nonsense and actually LISTEN to the point the customers make to them. She should not have behaved like this and should not be in such a customer service position to begin with. It was a totally annoying transaction just to get a price adjustment from a holier-than-thou and argumentative Gap employee, which makes me not want to deal with purchasing from them again and have to deal with such ###s. Be warned of such people at the Gap!
Jd
  12th of Sep, 2008
I agree! Today I had a "run in" with them as well.
I ordered several items from the online store and after waiting 6 days for them to ship it (not to mention receiving 3 emails that 3 of the items were no longer available) they shipped the items to me. However now that my total was beneath the $100 they would not honor a coupon they sent me. (Not my fault as I wasn't expecting only HALF of my order to go out of stock)
Another 5 days later and I receive my items. I needed to exhcange a pair of pants because of the size. I looked at the invoice and it states "FREE and EASY" returns. I take the pants (NWT and the very next day after receiving them) to the store, find the same EXACT pants, (same color and style) and bring the pants to the register along with my invoice/receipt.
I am then informed that I can not exchange them and I need to get a refund then repurchase for the stores higher price. I tell them I simply want to exchange the item for the same thing/different size and they tell me that isn't store policy. I am told by the store manage they do not price match within the company, that I used an online coupon and they wouldn't match that price. I asked for my item back and said I would exchange it online but was told they can not void out my return and give my item back. The computer won't let that happen. Once it's returned there is nothing they can do.

I asked them why it isn't done in the same transaction.. item for item and they told me it needs to be repurchased for the higher price. I then ask them to call customer service so I can have my item back. They do and the customer service supervisor was so rude to me I was in complete shock. She told me they do not have to match or exchange anything dispite what the retun/exchange policy says on the back because that invoice hasn't been fully updated with all of their new policies. We went back and forth about this for a few minutes and she agreed that in this case the policy didn't work well. iIasked her if I could just do an even exchange and I was told there wasn't a way to do this in their system.
Her voice continued to escalate with me when I explained that most retail companies do this as an even exchange. She told me she didn't care what other companies did and she has no idea if they even do that or not, but that either I was going to repurchase the pants all over again or 'this was going to end right here and right now"
I was totally in shock with how badly this was handled. I have shopped at the Gap for years and always loved the casual "treat you like a friend" sales approach. Recently I have seen their customer service go severly downhill. I imagine they are aware of this and sales have declined leading to their new "customer is the enemy" policies. The woman actually had an attitude like she was doing me a favor just listening to me. (kept sighing while I was talking)

They advertise "FREE and EASY" returns but that is far from what you get with all their hidden polocies they fail to disclose.
It's sad because the #1 thing that attracts me to a store is CUSTOMER SERVICE. I feel better about paying a higher price if I am treated well. The Gap might have some decent priced basics, but it's not worth the stress or their customer service.
Sh
  22nd of Sep, 2008
I agree too.
I want to return my clothing to Gap outlet store (Gurnee IL) within 90 days (unwashed unworn).
The manage from that store refused me, even I show her my original receipt.
She treated me like a ### with her rude attitude and she pushed her job to customer service.
The customer service told me the decision is final one, they can not do anything to change her decision.
Maybe I can try another store.
But I swear I did not wash them.
I am just wondering why Gap hire this kind of person to being a manager.
She is so cold, rude, irresponsible, impatient, and a color blind.
She said my clothing is a little bit yellow, but I did not see it.
Anyway, I can not do anything, she did not have a supervisor, so I have no person to complain to.
Bad service.
Re
  14th of Jul, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I work in retail and people are always coming in wanting us to give them discounts when the coupon has expired, returning nasty worn and dirty clothes and complaining how much they spend in our store when we refuse to take them back. I could go on for days about these holier than thou customers that think they should get discounts and money back on worn items. I consider this stealing and these people should be ashamed. Read the receipt for the return policy and ask about the price adjustments instead of just complaining and saying you spend lots of money and will not come back. Guess what! they do come back and they are the same pains in the necks each time. Our nice customers never have a complaint or argue over a discount or return. So to the customers who whine constantly and complain... bye, see ya don't let the door hit you on the way out. Go somewhere else cause I am sure they feel the same way about you.
Fo
  19th of Mar, 2011
I'm very sorry that you were treated that way by a customer service rep. The p/a policy states that the customer must email or call in within 14 days and no promotions what so ever can be used on the order excluding reward cards. I don't no why the representative gave you such a hard time when you stated that you were indeed within the 14 days. I hope it was a misunderstanding because it does sound very bizarre.

Gap Logo Gap