First Priority Pay / Payroll Fraud: FPP took our money but did NOT deposit taxes or file tax returns

1 50 Harrison St., Suite 210 Hoboken, NJ 07030Hoboken, NJ, United States Review updated:
Phone: (866) 589-6300 Tel: (201) 792-6900

We had hired a payroll firm “First Priority Pay” (FPP) http://www.firstprioritypay.com/ located in Hoboken, NJ for processing our employees' monthly payroll. They started working for us in 2008. Last year (2009), we started receiving notices from the IRS about unpaid dues and FPP said they would pay the dues promptly. And they did pay some of them. However, we received another set of notices from the IRS this year (2010) about more unpaid dues. We then contacted FPP about it and received an email from the President, Mr. Jerry Carter that someone had embezzled money and they were working to get the money back.

Meanwhile, we found out that over $17, 000 had NOT been paid to the IRS (the amount is actually close to $19, 000+ including penalties and interest) even though the money had been already taken out of our account. The IRS and the State also informed us that the third quarter returns had not even been filed and asked us to file them ASAP. Only then, the IRS will let us know the exact amount of penalties and interest they would charge for the third quarter.

After some initial contact, FPP did not respond to our repeated requests for refunding our money and filing the forms. They have committed fraud with not only our company but with many other companies nationwide. When we called the Hoboken Police Station, they said that they were familiar with FPP since they had numerous complaints from many companies nationwide.

This company took all our money PLUS charged their own service fees every single month but they neither deposited the taxes with the IRS nor performed their services as required. Now they say that they do not have the necessary man power to even answer their clients who rightfully need the money to pay their taxes.

We have spent numerous days researching the situation, filing paperwork, contacting the authorities, etc. This company needs to be investigated for fraud. We request you to investigate this matter and help us bring this to light. Thank you for helping us.

Sr

More First Priority Pay Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Wi
      12th of Mar, 2010

same thing happened to us. contacted the attorney generals office in nj. thay have had numerous complaints. they took our payroll tax money but never sent to IRS. we are a small co. in NJ.

• Ru
      15th of Mar, 2010

The same thing happened to us. I keep seeing complaints on this site and there seems to be a ton of us that this happened to. We are a small company in California. We ended up owing the IRS $4000.00 and we had to pay it or they were going to "Levy" our account. We are yet to make a profit yet, we are a new company (started our 1st job in Dec. 2008). If anyone has any ideas, we are on board. You can contact me at admin@div15hvac.com or by phone 619-772-0930. We need to stick together in this.

• Vi
      22nd of Mar, 2010

this is crazy... first it was First Priority Pay who committed massive fraud and now their employees. whole payroll processing industry is a massive SCAM.

They already started a new company in Springfield called United Payroll Pros. IT IS CRAZY...United Payroll Pros IS A FRAUD TOO... BEWARE...

• Fp
      25th of Mar, 2010

Hello,

Our company also got scammed by First Priority Pay Payroll. I want to gather as many customers as possible and hopefully all of us can file a class action lawsuit against FPP.

Please email me your contact information to:

fppscam@hotmail.com

Let us all work together to get back what is rightfully ours.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Elaine

6th of Apr, 2010

We got ripped off to the tune of almost $8000 that we know about for sure. I suspect another $12, 000 for the third quarter of 2009. I had to relentlessly hound FPP for copies of all of our 3rd quarter paperwork and finally got some of it. I had no idea FPP hadn’t even filed it until I was informed last week by an IRS employee. According to the IRS, they received around $12, 000 less in taxes than FPP collected out of our payroll account. I noticed issues last summer when I got notices from the IRS and Department of Labor & Industries about unpaid taxes and premiums. Nobody at FPP would return phone calls or answer emails, including "Mr. Carter." By mid-October, I had switched to another payroll company. Carter/FPP supposedly found all this out in November of 2009, but did they bother letting me know? Of course not! When I got the IRS notice of unpaid 4th quarter taxes on March 8th, 2010 and contacted Carter, he emailed me a "client letter" dated January 22nd that had never been sent to our office. Again, nobody at FPP will return calls or answer emails, nor will their attorney, Lawrence Cotler. I have repeatedly asked Jerry Carter and his lawyer for the name and contact information for their liability insurer and bonding company (NOTE: The FPP website claims to they are insured and bonded), but they will not answer. TODAY (04/06/2010), I got an email with a letter from Carter stating they were filing Chapter 7 BANKRUPTCY! I also contacted Mr. Figueroa’s new business right after finding this out. The woman who answered the phone, but wouldn’t identify herself, claimed there was more to this story than Mr. Carter was telling anyone. After today’s correspondence, I wonder. I think there is much more to this than former clients are being told. If FPP was bonded and insured, why won’t Jerry Carter provide that information to clients? This is a small, but fast growing, healthcare business that just underwent an expansion. Everything the owners have is tied up in that. This action could very well ruin this business and put 20 people out of work. I’d be happy to be involved in any kind of action against FPP, Jerry Carter, or even Jose Figueroa, if he really did do what they claim he did. You may email me at sehuntington@qwestoffice.net.

Disgusting

• Pa
      6th of Apr, 2010

I was also victimized by FPP and Jerry Carter (stole aprox 12K of our payroll witholdings). I have contacted state, local, FBI and Secret Service. If you are a victim of FPP you must contact the Secret Service. Agent Brian Turk is working on the case and is requesting anyone whow has had stolen funds from First Priority Pay or Jerry Carter via payroll services contact him. Agent Turk's direct line is 973-971-3146 his e-mail is brian.turk@usss.dhs.gov

• Be
      16th of Apr, 2010

If you have been victimized by FPP and Jerry Carter, there are several things you MUST do (or else Jerry and his brother will keep doing this to other people):

1. Contact the Attorney General of New Jersey who will send you to the Prosecuters office in New Jersey who is handling the case. Here is the number: Hudson County Prosecutor Office - (201) 795-6400.

Call and KEEP CALLING. You may have to call a dozen times, but they need the details of your case (particularly if you were still being embezzled after January 1 after ADP took over and Figuero was in jail).

2. Contact Brian Turk of the Secret Service at 973-971-3146 his e-mail is brian.turk@usss.dhs.gov and let him know what has happened.

3. File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commision at 877-382-4357 and file a complaint. We need to submit enough complaints to warrant an investigation.

4. Contact your local news (television and newspaper). Let them know this is another Bernie Maddock situation of Ponzi-esque proportion. If we can garner enough media attention, it will force law endorcement to take this more seriously.

5. If you want to participate in a lawsuit against Jerry Carter and FPP, post a message on this board with your contact information.

16th of Apr, 2010

Interested in class action suit.
    Superior Waterproofing, Inc.

Our firm is a victim
    too: k.whaley@kwcages.com

• Ab
      26th of Apr, 2010

Unfortunately, a victim also. Have a contracting business in NYC. WE MUST STICK TOGETHER. How much did ADP know prior to FPP filing bankruptcy? Were they culpable in anything as well...not in the fraud part, but in the covering up of information? We must check on this as well. PLEASE NOTIFY THIS POSTER OF ANY UPDATES.

brett@kapnag.com

• Da
      26th of Apr, 2010

We have been ripped off to the tune of over 15, 000.00 !!! We were "transitioned" to ADP. When I questions ADP about this, they say that they are not liable, but I must agree with abusedplumber and wonder how much of this ADP knew and covered it up!?!?

I have contacted a bankruptcy lawyer, and will let you all know what I have found. Perhaps if we have a large enough group, enough media attention etc, we can get what we are owed.

Email me with any help or questions: dayna@davesworks.com

• Fo
      13th of May, 2010

I was also hit hard by Jerry Carter.The loss was significant call me at 910 233 3631 we need to obtain a client list of victims and pursue this thief.

• Jj
      13th of May, 2010

May 13th, 2010

I was a victim also. I switch payroll companies priot to there sale to ADP. I Just found out yesterday but a certified letter from the IRS, that they were going to levy my accounts. Not understanding what happened I made some phone calls and found out I'm not the only one. My E-mail is j.jengine@verizon.net. Add me to that list.

• Nt
      14th of May, 2010

I signed up with FPP late in 2008, and was switched to ADP early this year. I received a visit from the IRS this week and they informed me that my company owes over $6, 500 in taxes and penalties. Apparently FPP didn't file any of the taxes they collected. I am the only employee in my company, and this is going to hurt!!! I hope something can be done for all of us victims.

ntrusty@kitchentuneup.com

• Af
      26th of May, 2010

I'm a victim to. Greenville, SC. Thankfully only about $1300 so far.
    a.funke@att.net

• He
      26th of May, 2010

Please add HeavyWood Records to the interest in a class action suit jpoland@jrpventures.com

• Sc
      27th of May, 2010

We are victim of over $100k, Central NJ company. wcurreri@comcast.net

• Fo
      31st of May, 2010

I am a victim of 150K.Does anyone have knowledge of the FBI actively participating in this case?

• Ap
      2nd of Jun, 2010

I am a victim of over $12K, California based company. Does anyone know how the bankruptcy meeting went on May14th.
    Just found out about this forums. Is anyone initiating a Class action lawsuit against Jerry Carter and First priority payroll?
    If so, please add me. aparnaiyer@gmail.com