Filter Queen / Scam artists

1 Holland, OH, United States Review updated:

A salesman came to our house, we were supposed to win a 17 piece knife set for watching the demo. We agreed to buy the machine, but my credit must have been denied because we never have heard from the guy again. When it came time to get our "prize" the salesman claims he was out of them and he would put it in the mail. We have never received it. I was willing to pay the 3000 for the vaccuum. I wish i had better credit to purchase it. But we were left with no way to contact our salesman and he kept bragging that he was getting paid 20 per hour to be there. I would at least have liked the knife set to make up for him pouring dirt all over my floor and making me listen to his scam for an hour.

Comments

2nd of Feb, 2010

hey i am very sorry to hear about your experience with that sales person- i do work for american filtration which does sell the system.

He should of never done that 2 you and i apologize for that. If your still intrested in the system e-mail me at jdewitt.meps@yahoo.com

i can get you the full system for 1, 400 and 35 bucks a month regardless of your credit.

• Ki
      12th of Jul, 2010

I am very sorry to hear you were not satisfied with your experience. Please contact me directly to work with you on this issue. I can be reached at 800.760.4644 ext. 7816.

Kimberly Wallace
    Customer Experience Director
    Health-Mor

• Ro
      19th of Jul, 2010

DON'T BUY!
    In my personal opinion it is NOT worth the ridiculous amount of money they want. $2, 600 is laughble.
    Apparently they count on suckers to buy these vacuums.

Why not sell them at a reasonable price? Like closer to whathey are worth? Sales may greatly increase.

At Goodwill I just bought a Filter Queen "Majestic" vacuum for $8.50. ($9.99 plus my 15% senior discount.)
    The filters are ridiculously expensive. No need to be so expensive.

The power wire from the hose connected to the vacuum canister is very poorly engineered.
    It must make a sharp 90 degree turn to bend up to plug into its outlet.
    The wire jacket has broken because of the severe flexion needed to go around the locking collar.
    They could so easily design this better. Why not?

This vacuum came with a paper cone filter labled "For Demonstration Only".
    Donated by a former con, I mean, salesman?

Pros:
    Good suction.
    Good tough hose.
    Fairly quiet.
    Good wheels
    Tough flexible canister

Cons:
    Small dirt capacity.
    Difficult to clean. Very dusty. I take mine outside to empty, then use a garden hose to wash it out.
    Power cord too short.
    Clamps difficult to open from ends. Must grasp from sides.
    Despite bumpers, metal clamps can hit and damage furniture or walls.
    Decorative grate on the top is needless and difficult to clean.
    How does one clean or change the internal white filter in the top?

Robert

• Pu
      23rd of Jul, 2010

I had a poor experience with Filter Queen last night. I received a phone call saying I had completed a survey online, been entered into a drawing, and won a vacation (I don't recall ever doing an online survey - they probably randomly pulled my name from the phone book or something). The woman on the phone said to claim the prize, my husband and I needed to listen to a presentation about two products that aren't available in stores. At the end of the 45 minute presentation, we just needed to give feedback on how the presenter did and what we thought about the product. I asked her if this was some type of market research and she said it was.

Well, it ended up being a sales pitch. The salesman was 30 minutes late. The presentation was great and the products were cool. But we are on a very tight budget with no ability to buy a $100 vacuum at the moment, let alone a $3300 one. We thanked him for his time and told him no, we weren't interested. He kept pushing, asking if we liked the vacuum why we wouldn't buy it. We told him we didn't have the money and it was our policy not to go into debt. He got very argumentative and confrontational, asking us how we could let our child crawl on this carpet, questioning how much money we made (we refused to answer) and insisting we could afford the monthly payment. We told him it wasn't about whether or not we could afford $89 a month, but that financing it was not an option and this sale wasn't going to happen that night. He argued with us for twenty minutes. He slowly began packing his things up, and was obviously very put off. He didn't believe me when I told him that we were told this was market research, not a sales pitch.

He used my paper towels to clean his vacuum and left the damp, dirty towels all over my floor. He left the small demo filters with all that "toxic" hair and dust and mite poop right on our sofa - didn't even throw it away. And what irritated me the most was when he was cleaning his vacuum up and putting it away, he DUMPED it onto our carpet, took out the filter and FLICKED all the dirt in it back into our carpet. I think he was just being vindictive.

After he left, we examined the vacation voucher. It is not free like the company said. There is a $50 registration fee. And the company didn't fill out mandatory information fields required of the sponsor, thereby making the voucher INVALID.

Total waste.

The ironic part is this. I was REALLY impressed with the vacuum. During the presentation, I kept thinking that this is something I really wanted - something I knew would be expensive but I would save up for it because I saw the value. After the way that guy behaved, all bridges have been burned. I've called the numbers that called me to set up the appointment to discuss the invalid voucher with them - no answer.

It seems all around shady to me. Which is strange because the product seemed so good.

Just beware.

• Be
      23rd of Jul, 2010

Being a former associate of Filter Queen I can honestly say there is nothing on the market like it.The DEFENDER wich the air cleaner is unrivaled the Majestic wich is the surface cleaner(vaccum cleaner) has bested all the competition, but I could write a book on the shady sell pitch that we were trained to do to manipulate the home owner .YOU ARE LIED TO ABOUT THE MONEY YOU CAN MAKE DEMOING THE PRODUCT, THE DISTRIBUTOR TELL YOU THAT YOU ARE NOT A SALE PERSON YOU ONLY HAVE TO DEMO THE SYSTEM TO MAKE YOUR MONEY, YOU CAN WORK A FULL WEEK FOR MONTHS AND NEVER GET PAID A DIME.THE AD THAT THEY RUN WHEN THEY ARE RECRUTING WORKERS TELL YOU THAT YOU ARE ANSWERING WORK FOR WARE HOUSE WORK.THE SAD PART ABOUT IT IS THAT I HAVE NEVER DEMOED THE SYSTEM TO ANYONE WHO WAS NOT IMPRESSED BY IT, SO IF THERE IS ANYONE IN THE ORANGEBURG AREA THAT HAS EVER HAD THIS SUSTEM SHOWN TO THEM BY A BIG BURLY BLACK MAN(BUT VERY ATTRACTIVE LOL) I APOLOGIZE IF I MISSED LED YOU IN ANY WAY.

24th of Jul, 2010

Bennie Mobley I once worked for these people and am right now trying to make rent then I'm leaving it alone. The deceive the demonstrators who spend more money in gas than what they earned in one 10% sale. When I realized how much I would spend constantly making an hour drive back and forth and that they do not find your appointments like they say in training, I started telling people the truth and in turn helped me fake the deceivers.

• Pa
      26th of Jul, 2010

Just called the 1-800-662-2471 number looking for parts for our filter Queen and talked to a "Lady" who said her name was Toni. I felt like I was talking to an Attorney who was far less than helpfull. I asked for the name and mailing address of the CEO/President and she said they don't give out that information. I will eventually get what I was asking for but I thought it may be helpfull if I related my use of that number to the public

• Ex
      8th of Aug, 2010

Purplehay21, it sounds like you had the same demonstrator that we had. Very unprofessional person. Worst sales person ever. He did all the same things. He used our #1 consumer magazine rated Sears Kenmore with an extremely over filled and dirty bag. Yes it did smell and didn't do a good job. I guess I should have made sure it had a new bag in it before he came over. I told my son to throw away the filter patches, and the sales [censored] said no don't throw them away, he needed them for a contest and was going to win with these for sure. Yes, it did do better than my Kenmore, but how well would it do if it had a full canister. He offered me to do clean a different section with my Kenmore. I declined. He never even mentioned the cost, we said no, we were not interested. After the interrogation was over, he got on his cell phone and "called" his boss to find out what he did wrong. He was very loud, so that we could hear him. My wife left the room. I was doing something else in the kitchen. After the phone call, he took some of my paper towels and got them wet. Dismantled his equipment. Flicked the filter out on the floor, and honetly, I didn't see anything fall. But, it was still very rude. All I could think was, what a jerk. Wiped down his equipment and put it all away. Left the damp paper towels on the floor. Left the filter patches on the coffee table, he's not going to win the contest if he doesn't take them. Then he finished up with everything and brought in our gifts. The appointment scheduler stated a set of steak knives, like the ones at Outback, more like the ones from the 99 cent store, a BBQ tool set, also from the 99 cent store, and a vacation for 3 days, 2 nights and we could bring 2 kids. She didn't mention that the kids would be $50/kid/day. He didn't even say anything about the gifts, just layed them on the coffee table, near the filter patches. And she also stated that it would be about a 45 minute presentation, more like 2 hours. The appointment was supposed to be at 8:30 P.M. but he called my wife and said he finished with his other appointment early and could come over earlier, at around 7:30. I wasn't home from work yet and told my wife I would be home around 8:00, so she told him about that time. When I was turning the corner, I noticed a van parked in an area that isn't really for parking. Didn't realize it was him. So, he was waiting for me to get home, which was 8:00. After all was said and done, he left at almost 10:00 P.M. Before he came out, I did some research on line and we were pretty much prepared for everything. I also found these on e-bay for less than $300.00. Still not interested. Good luck if you invite these jerks over.

• Ex
      8th of Aug, 2010

Corrections:
    Sorry Purplehays21, don't know where the 's' went.
    And, $5.00/kid/night.

• Ra
      13th of Nov, 2010

I know a little bit about Filter Queen because 6 years ago, I applied for a 'job' for a 'pollution control position' with a local company. The pay rate listed was about $14+/hr. No experience necessary. Will train. Since jobs were scarce, I applied, and started a 3 day training session. It was for Filter Queen Vacuum Cleaners and the Air Cleaner they also sell at about $2, 3000 a pair. We were also told that the $14/hr. was actually $14 per appointment, which could take 2 hours without the drive. We were also promised $200 draw pay a week, even during training. Much like Amway, they presented themselves very slowly, bit by bit, and I noticed a lot of 'reneging' on their promises about pay and other things, and many red flags. They fiercely denied their product was a 'vacuum cleaner', but what I learned on the first day was that I'd be a door to door vacuum cleaner salesman, and I almost bailed then. I went to the second day of training, and they reneged on the $200 draw pay, and stressed 'practicing' on friends, neighbors, family, etc..' but they really just wanted us to provide customers for them. Part of this early 'training' involved us telling the customer after demonstrating is "either the vacuum stays here or the dirt stays on the floor", so these salesmen mentioned above were leaving the mess behind like instructed, they just never mentioned it to the customer beforehand, like they were supposed to. It was a technique they thought would close more sales. They also said that they'd be generous and pay half the cost of a bond to cover the cost of the pair of appliances should we lose, damage, or steal them, so before we even starting 'training' we were asked to lay out some money. The whole experience was like a slow con game, and when I realized they had pretty much reneged, misrepresented, or LIED about the pay, hours involved, and compensation, especially the 'no draw pay', I split at lunch and never came back. There's also some multi-level-marketing going on, and there wasn't really a NEED for more vacuum cleaner salesmen - someone just was trying to build her own little pyramid or 'cell' up. I live in a peon area, hardly the area to sell volumes of high-end vacuum cleaners in. I kept seeing the same ad in the paper every month, and thought 'how can they get away with this?' And just think of how they'd treat a customer? The good side is that I thought the product was pretty good, but who's going to buy a $2, 300 air cleaner/vacuum cleaner duo during a recession?

• Ca
      22nd of Feb, 2011

Micron Filtration/Majestic Filter Queen Warranty ~ I bought the vacuum because I was very impressed with it. As far as the yearly service I question that practice. They say the only way to warranty the vacuum is to buy the filters ($100) on a yearly basis and their salesperson comes to your home to do some minor adjustments. Yea right. They say to replace the filters on a monthly basis and the cone filter every 6 months. I am a single person and it's only me and kitty in the house. Why would I want to change the filter on a monthly basis? I still have approximately 7 or 8 filters left. It is my opinion they are only trying to bleed more money out of the consumer. I will be buying my filters on eBay and save myself some big time bucks.

• Wa
      22nd of Mar, 2011

I worked for a filter queen distributor. This IS a total scam to those who would venture into that job market. They do not pay 20 dollars an hour. It is 20 dollars per visit and you have to bully your customers to get referrals. Many times you only are able to visit 3 people a day because of their locations. You use your own vehicle and end up spending more in gas than the commission you receive. Unless you have a upper middle class clientele they won't give you the time of day. The gifts that you are promised are bought in bulk and are low grade items at best.
    The product is actually very well put together, but only a select few can afford it.
    Job seekers beware of ads asking if you want to get into the respiratory business.
    You'll end up becoming a Air Filter system with cleaning attachments saleman (they'll never admit that it is a high end vacuum).

• Gu
      23rd of Mar, 2011

We just bought the Majestic and 2 defenders I don't know if we were ripped off but we paid $3698.07 for all three machines. Please some one give me a response before 03/24/2011. Thanks Gullible in ND

• Ru
      13th of Dec, 2016

@gullible in ND You paid $3700 for an air cleaner and a vacuum cleaner and don't know whether you were ripped off???

• Ca
      24th of Mar, 2011

For Gullible in ND, here's my experience.
    A friend sells Filter Queen machines and insisted on lending me his own Defender because he was so "concerned" about the air quality in my home. I had told him that I could not afford to buy one. When I went to pick it up, he included the Majestic, even though he had not mentioned it before.
    After running the Defender for a while, I began to sense a dusty smell in the room, and I had a headache. I don't get headaches normally, so I looked more closely at the machine. Although the exhaust ports at the top were blowing air out forcefully, I couldn't feel any air going into the bottom part where the filters are.
    I took the machine apart and turned it on with the bottom part removed. I finally felt a bit of suction where the air would go into the top part after being filtered, but the suction was not nearly enough to draw air from the room through the two dense filters and then expel it out the top with the degree of force that was happening with the blowing out.
    It almost seems as if the top part just whirls the air around, so it might have been stirring up dust while nothing, or almost nothing, was going through the filters.
    Conclusion: I would not buy this machine for any amount of money - and, after that experience, I didn't even want to try the Majestic. I hope that they don't make it impossible for you to get out of the contract if you have a similar experience! All the best.

• Sg
      30th of Apr, 2011

All of you complaining are just silly.

Any where you go there will be professionals and people who are not professional, thats just how life is. You can have an excellent waiter at Applebee's then a crappy one after that at the same restaurant, that doesn't mean the whole chain sucks. Don't take it out on an awesome product just because someone was rude to you.
    As for the ones who complained because they put YOUR DUST AND DIRT back on your own carpet... why should they take it with you? Is it their job to take that and clean up your nastiness? I think not. You should just be happy they got a good amount of crap from deep down in your carpet that your vacuum couldn't reach. It's not like they brought in outside dust and dirt and poured it on your carpet, its all stuff that was already there but NOW you can see it so you get upset that its there? Ha.
    I sold these back in 2005 and made plenty of money doing it. It is easy to sell something that works great and commission well made up for the amount of traveling I had to do. If you aren't a good salesman and made no money doing this... perhaps its a sign you shouldn't be pursuing jobs in sales!

16th of Apr, 2017

@Sgt Craig You are an ###

• 4h
      6th of Jul, 2011

My Dyson picks up a lot of dirt and after vacuuming with it, I notice my house is cleaner, so it does what i want. Yeah if my Dyson had more power it would pick up the dirt that is ground into my carpet that would never come out under normal circumstances. Yes the majestic cleans better but its 4x more energy used to get that power. I asked how much it would cost to run both on a regular basis and the salesman...I mean market research person said “that doesn’t matter if your health matters”. Well I am plenty healthy with my on sale Dyson at $115 and my on sale Honeywell HEPA filter at $100 and my Dyson picked up your “extremely toxic dirt and bacteria” just fine after you left; that he kept insisting that I touch. After he proposed a never before offer of $2000 for this system I told him no thanks and as everyone else has said, the begrudging and outrage of how I could pass this up went on as he slowly packed up. 3 hours later I was happy to see him leave and got a laugh that I could buy one on eBay for $400

• Du
      24th of Aug, 2011

No offense but any carpet replacement contract that you agree to will not cover their replacement or warranty policy when a dyson is used. The dyson has almost spike-like objects on their brushes that, yes do scrap up more dirt and dust, but at the same time rip up your NEW carpeting that I can guarantee after researching Empire Flooring on this very same website, cost you a freaking load of cash. Me, I do have the filterqueen, both the Defenders (3) and the Majestic. We have 3 kids, 3 dogs and my husband and myself, we have dirt, dust and everything else you can imagine, significantly the machines take out crazy amounts of crap I don't want my kids to crawl on, step on, eat stuff off of (yes you know twin toddlers eat all crap off of the floor, your dirt is in your baby's mouth!), walk on or whatever else may happen when I am not looking off my floors. On top of that, my husband and I only have the laminent wood floors and tile on our floors. It is gross the crap that comes out of our floor and in our air. I replace the filter once a year religiously for the defenders and as the canister gets full on the vacuum with the charcoal filter once every 6 months, I am not a ### and I know that charcoal only lasts 180 days max. We love our filtration equipment and appreciate the clean atmosphere. If you don't realize that you are in a dirty world, you are ignoring the reality of life. Come on people, the world is dirty. Either you have a bubble baby that gets sick once a year even in school for the entire day or you have a baby that gets sick a couple dozen times a year, replace you carpet over and over again and the warranty no longer applies (either way you spend a freaking fortune) or you spend the money now and save it tomorrow. I appreciate my retirement and am completely storing that away for tomorrow.

Beyond that, please not be stupid and read your damn paperwork. Finance charges, regarding where you finance, are freaking stupid. Don't finance, put on a credit card or not know what you are getting into. People charge interest, that is how they are able to LOAN you money. Get over your complaintfest and realize that is how it works. If you can;t pay for it in CASH, don't buy!

• Bu
      4th of Dec, 2011
    Best Best Advice +4 Votes

The whole system is a scam. The products are grossly marked up by up to 300 percent. There has been a history of internal problems from the top all the way to the down with not much accountability and plenty of excuses.

I didn't have a problem selling them myself but after doing some internet research, I didn't see the point in selling them because I didn't see any integrity in the company at all. The financing is deceptive and puts more money into the owners pockets (not the sales person), the products when serviced were using inferior parts, and the sales presentations were covering places further and further with many people not being there at all.

If the product was so good Best Buy and Walmart would carry them in the first place. Then this foolishness wouldn't be happening.

A lot of these distributors and salespeople that talk about how they seem to be an exception to the rules aren't around to respond when they shut down or go out of the business. Please keep that in mind if they tell you how wonderful everything is two years from now.

I've been working of consumer issues with the company for almost ten years and I do interviews with the media. It's the same thing just different faces.

Its amazing how the negatives of Healthmoor outweigh the positives when doing a Google search.

If you want one, buy one on the internet for $700 and save the hefty fincancing charges.

• Bk
      13th of Feb, 2012

Hi,
    I have a filter queen 75th anniversary and I have had problems with it from day one. First the wand would not turn on. then the hose had a small hole. I had them fixed after calling the company and complaining 6 times. Then the bumper kept coming off, now the engine or the wiring but the vacuum works only once in a while. The bad part about the whole thing is trying to get the service department on the phone and having anyone who works for the company care about their product. I will never recommend this product to anyone.

dissatisfied customer

• Mi
      24th of Feb, 2012

I bought a Filter Queen Majestic 360 and air cleaner because my "college kid" daughter was lied to at the interview; worked her tail off for 3-4 weeks and didn't get paid a nickle... She had to do cold-calling door-to-door, etc, , , I felt bad, and out of love for her I bought so she'd at least get 1 commission before I suggested she stop. As a parent, it's a "moral wrong" when they lie to our kids to get free labor out of them...
    COMPLAINT: The vacuum has worked well, but Sept. 2011, the wand began separating. We called cust. service, and left msg's about (5) times before we finally got a call back (2) months later... We were told there is a re-call and they would send out (3) new pieces asap. Well, it is now Feb. 24, 2012 and WE ARE STILL WAITING FOR THE PARTS... It's not only "BAD" customer service; IT'S NO CUSTOMER AT ALL! IN PARTICULAR: the initial operator that answers the phone was "VERY RUDE AND ARGUMENTATIVE"... We have spoken to "nice people" (supervisor/managers) who reassured us our parts were "on the way". BUT the lack of parts being delivered is really frustrating ... no parts means vacuum cannot be used! I think I will NEVER buy another Filter Queen, not because of poor quality, but because of NO SERVICE!!!
    I hope they read this and get their "Customer Service" act together; it may be as simple as doing a "Lean" on their cust. service processes..
    Filter Queen: if you want to change and Excel with your customers, email me.
    Michael Carter, care of: natalin_rhier@yahoo.com