Fasfa.com / misleading name

I cannot understand how a company can use a government acronym like the letters fasfa and not be considered scaming people. I googled fasfa to fill out application for student aid for my son. fasfa.com is the first thing to pop up so I filled out application then paid $79.00 from my debit card only to find out the real site is fasfa.ed.gov and it is free to apply. I think GOOGLE should not allow them to use the same acronym as it is very misleading and taking advantage of parents trying to get some financial aid for students. fasfa.com charged my debit card immediatly but the application was not processed that day which was the deadline to apply.

D  1st of Mar, 2010 by
The fact that it is a "sponsored link" and thus the VERY FIRST SEARCH RESULT FOR FASFA in google blows apart one of your arguments.

The fact that they make it near impossible to contact their scam site to get back the $80 they charge you to do what is just as easy (and free) to do on the real fasfa site kills the other point you make.
N  15th of May, 2011 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I don't know if the financial aid dept is aware of this. But, it would be great if someone would post alerts about this website:

Like MOST college students, I am in a hurry and everything is done at the last minute. Let me add, I am a struggling mother of two as well. So, I typed "fasfa" in the Google search field (http://www.google.com/). The first thing that popped up was: www.fasfa.com. After several unsuccessful attempts to login, I called them. I should have known something was up when they answered on a Saturday evening. After giving her my SS#, first & last name & e-mail address, she tells me about how they are a company that I can pay $99 to look over my fasfa. AGAIN -----> STRUGGLING COLLEGE STUDENT! The main problem GOOGLE has this joke of a site listed as the FIRST option when someone is looking for the fasfa.

Now this company has my e-mail address & my ss#.

Please share this with higher ups!