Fanstory.com / Biggest Scam ever

United States Review updated:

I agree with all the negative reviews of this place. I recently joined and to my dismay, I have spent 73.00 dollars for a year membership and a one time buy of membership dollars that only afforded me to promote to a very low position, two poems. The next day, they had already expired my promotion, despite the fact that it stated it would be up for 2-3 days. Recent reviews, were scathing and non productive, concentrating on childish antics, such as: stating that I used a word incorrectly, small grammatical errors and that words that I tried to rhyme were only slant rhymes and that I used them improperly. None of the reviews offered any positive feedback, only childish tantrums about the above matters, no true insight given, and if replied to in a manner where I would defend my writing, would only get more negative feedback. I was appalled, and further than that, I could not understand how any writer would want to review a poem that only gave them a one point and 2 cents return for their review. I had not promoted the poem for lack of funds. I in turn returned the favor to one of the writers, since I felt that perhaps, by reading his work, I may gather some insight. Well to my surprise I read a poem that had no content, was made up of a bunch of sentences that did not even go together, had no meaning due to the writer's efforts to make it more complicated than it should be. To my amazement, this was a recognized piece of work!!! The rank of the writer was pretty high up and I wrote exactly what I felt was truthful, just as he had returned the favor to my writing. This is how my review goes:

Do not understand the poem whatsoever, cannot follow, and do not know why it got a recognition. Sorry, just my opinion. Very difficult to follow, like a bunch of thoughts and words just thrown together, left for the reader to decipher whatever the meaning is. Not fair to the reader.

My account was suspended due to this comment with the following message:

Writing a low rating review on an authors work after receiving a rating that you don't agree with is considered a revenge review and a break in the site terms.
In addition, the rules are clear: Only reply to thank a reviewer or to request a clarification. Never attack a review or a reviewer. Do not defend your work here or using the private message system. These rules must be followed. It is for the benefit of you (you will receive honest feedback) and the benefit of reviewers (reviewers do not want to see this type of feedback).

REALLY??? THE WRITER IS COMPLETELY OUT OF LINE, DUE TO THE FACT THAT I MUTED HIM, FOR HIS SCATHING AND NEGATIVE REMARKS, NO NEGATIVE FEEDBACK WAS GIVEN TO THIS PERSON EXCEPT THAT I DID NOT AGREE WITH HIS REVIEW PERIOD ... I DO NOT KISS ###... AND CLEARLY I AM NOT ACCEPTING ANY BS FROM THIS SITE. THEY WANT ME TO ADMIT THAT I WROTE THIS IN REVENGE. NO ... GET IT CLEAR...AS I STATED ABOVE IT WAS CLEARLY TO GATHER INSIGHT FROM SOMEONE WHO "PURPORTEDLY IS A HIGH RANKED WRITER" HOGWASH, THE SITE IS A SCAM, GIVING ONLY SUPPORT TO THOSE WHO ARE RANKED HIGHER OR WELL LIKED. EVEN IF THEIR WRITING IS CRAP...

I HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH NEGATIVE REVIEWS, JUST HAVE A PROBLEM WITH HOYTOYTIE IDIOTS WHO CLAIM TO BE WRITERS, AND ARE NOT, GIVING STUPID REVIEWS WITHOUT ANY POSITIVE FEEDBACK. ON TOP OF THAT I AM IN TOTAL DISAGREEMENT WITH THIS SITE'S PRACTICES AS FAR AS DRAINING AND BLEEDING MONEY FROM PEOPLE FOR THEIR STUPID AGENDAS. I WILL BE CALL THE FTC AND WILL ALSO REPORT IT AS A SCAM SITE TO THE FBI. I COULD CARE LESS IF THERE ARE A LOT OF POSITIVE REVIEWS OF THE SITE, THAT IS A MINORITY AND POSSIBLY COMPANY GENERATED.

Ab
Mar 04, 2013

Comments

• The guy who will not Identify himself, who wrote that last article must be brain dead or perhaps in a coma. I just read through his diatribe on reviews! He cannot put two 2 sentences together with any success! If that is the type of writing his complaint is about and it getting bad reviews, then...what can I say? Get a job because the Art world does not need you, unless you can draw perhaps!

• You guy seem to harbor the lowest form of literary lifee

• Cr
      Apr 18, 2016

Sorry for the late reply.

I had been a member of FS for several years. The first few reviews I received where too harsh for me, I pulled down my work that same day. Now, years later, I fully understand and agree with the reviews. My work was terrible. My stories were fine, but my writing (my use of English) and my punctuation were just awful. So, critiques were often way too harsh for me, at first, but, I eventually learned to suck-it-up, to take it and use it to mold my writing into something that worked —— something the majority liked. because your never going to please everybody. There's always some joker that just wants to hate on you.

Anyway, I always believed, and still do, that if one cannot find something encouraging about a piece of work, to add to ones critique, one should just forget about critiquing that piece altogether. Over my years at FS, I eventually found that the majority of the readers/reviewers were in fact genuinely encouraging, but not all. Many reviewers have been on FS for years and years and seem to have forgotten the importance of encouragement, especially toward the neophytes. They review it how they see it, straight to the point, blunt as you like. Fanstory reviewing rules says to add encouragement, but some don't.

Learning to except a tough critique can be extremely painful, and some never learn to except it. But, it is a necessary part of the creative process if a writer, painter, sculptor, actor, musician, singer, ever wishes to progress to the pinnacle of his chosen craft. It's crucial to an artists growth to be able to cope with harsh criticism. Sure, some people are just A-holes, however, they become easier to spot after some practice. you eventually find that most readers and most reviews are quite helpful, even if they are harsh. My grammar, my punctuation, my sentence structure and my turn of phrase has improved 100% thanks entirely to the harsh critiques and helpful reviews I received on Fanstory. I may still have a long way to go before I master the craft completely, but at least I'm confident now to submit my work to a publisher. And after all, that is the goal of most writers.

These days, when I get criticism over a piece of my work, I can analyze the information in my head, not in my heart, and I can do it without my emotions getting in the way. I no longer feel anger or bitterness over a harsh review as I once did.

In closing, I agree, Fanstory is not for everyone. Reviews can be tough, even harsh, the fees are too high and the ranking system is not based on the best writing, but on the most reviews. The ranking and reward systems are just a way for FS to generate more income, and that part sucks. But I learned a lot from being on Fanstory, and for that I'm grateful. And, I still have some really great friends that I keep in touch with, all thanks to FS.

I also experienced a lot of heartbreak and anger and bitterness that I had to learn to work through, so I can see your frustration. But, honest reviews, whether harsh or encouraging, can be helpful to a writer. They can help you learn, they can help you grow, they can help you become a better writer. If you can get through the painful crushing. I did that by focusing on the positive and the encouraging reviews.

Cheers.

• Li
      Aug 10, 2016

I agree. I was a member for a while and noticed that there is much favoritism going on. Not to brag, but my poetry is good. I entered a contest and compared mine to the other entries and thought for sure I'd at least get a mention. The winner's poem was something my four year old grandson could have written! It was terrible! I joined Writer's Carnival and will never look back. At Writer's Carnival you meet the best group of people EVER, with wonderful reviews. NEVER a review that is critical or mean. They make you feel like you're part of a writing family. I LOVE it there!!!

• La
      Feb 06, 2018

@Lisa Doesburg Thank for this information, will check them out

• In
      Feb 12, 2017

the problem is, there is NO writing forum that will help good poets to showcase their work. My partner and I have been on several, including Fanstory. These are vanity sites with little talent. The talented ones are intimidated, bullied and basically conned by people who invent qualifications (no one with half a brain would believe) and also create false accounts to 'like' their own work in the name of a fictitious other. These sites do not protect the vulnerable, which I believe is a duty of any large organisation, especially in this day and age. What we need is a site for the everyday poet; the ones the majority can understand and who can deliver a good message in a well constructed form. They should be encouraging young talent to learn and be helped by those who take the craft seriously. I am currently writing a daily expose called The Asylum on Forward Poetry. I have taken the comic approach, as all their skullduggery is hardly a life and death situation! I expect my account to be disabled should they see this comment by me. I am also looking to publish an article as a warning to those who are green.

• In
      Feb 12, 2017

furthermore, the Poet of The Month contests are fixed. The genuinely talented rarely make the top 5. Incidentally, I am not writing this from bitterness, because I am the only poet on the site that requests NO LIKES on my work; only comments. I do not take part in a competition that is not a fair playing field, and neither have I withdrawn because I don't think I'm good enough.

• La
      Feb 06, 2018

Very well spoken

• We
      Aug 13, 2018

I entered a lengthy positive review of FanStory on this site a couple days ago and I see it is not on here. Apparently, the positives are not going to be shown. That is very unfortunate as writers who need a practice outlet should use FanStory. I also had other positive things to say, but apparently this site is not interested in showing the positive aspects. Well, I see there are only a handful of negatives. This should be obvious that many people enjoy and use FanStory and it is a great tool if used wisely and if you are not in it for MONEY, but for the love of writing, sharing and getting better at your craft. Do I love and understand all I have seen on there? NO. Most of it is explained in author notes, however and the writing comes from the minds, hearts and REAL experiences of many in many cases. I also offered legitimate avenues where your writing can be contested (not doing it again-no time!). Good luck. Too those of you with open minds and understanding that poetry is an extremely open-minded genre, don't rule it out! I have a B.A. in Education and I recommend it. Also, THIS site never did actually show my accurate number of stars for FanStory, so I wonder who is pushing the button here.
    Wendy
    Wendy

Oct 20, 2018

I tried this website years ago. It was a waste of time then and it is a waste of time now. They are inconsistent with their rules and regulations. It is little to do with writing and more to do with a popularity contest for those who have been complimenting each other's somewhat bland diatribe for years. The regulators rule you in or out depending on how they think their revenue stream is best served. Commercial sites such as this and creative spirits are just in-congruent and should avoid any semblance of rating someone's creativity. I wasted a lot of money trying to move forward on this site and eventually gave up with some success, but overall I realized the site is a failure. This is not for anyone that sincerely wants to hone their skills or even simply write creatively and have others enjoy.

• Ge
      May 28, 2019

I am fine with FanStory. Being a member since 2011 and learnt a lot, and improved my poetry and Novel writing substantially. FanStory is not perfect but I am a much improved writer because of sound critique received in the beginning which helped shape my writing. Grammar and spelling is important.