EZ1Rate / phone free gas card

1 AZ, United States Review updated:

received unsolicitated phone call on 08-19-08 from Steve Dixson (emp.#14420) stating I have been selected by major credit card company for $300.00 worth of fee gas - Requested credit card number or debit card # to charge $1.95 for fee to his company. I would not give him CC info and requested he mail me info to verify. Pushed several more times for CC # and then hung up on me.

Comments

El
  22nd of Aug, 2008

I just received a call on 8-22-08 about some free phone card and a 300 dollar gas card. They told me that my information was obtained because i used my Bank card on certain gas station that is affiliated with their company (ez1Rate). Then the guy verified my address. But then he said that he needed my bank card info because there was a 1.95 charged for the shipping and handling of my prize. I realized right on that it was just a scam, so I told him, "i don't know you, and i prefer to lose 300 dollars than have future problems." His answer was: "what you're saying is ridiculous, of course you don't know me, we're just talking in the phone"

He kept insisting and insisting, unitl I proposed "why don't you send me a $298.05 gift card, subtracting the shipping fee" so he just hung up.

De
  29th of Aug, 2008

I just 8/29/08 got a call from someone with an Indian/Paki accent saying that I had given so much profit to their partner company that I was chosen among five people to receive $300 in gas cards and have a free phone card for 10 days. They verified my address and then told me about the $1.95 shipping charge. I said I won't be giving any credit card information to someone who hasn't identified their company or their partner which I profited. I must have triggered the man to use some sort of signal to someone nearby that I wasn't cooperating, because the man started coughing like he had something in his throat. Suddently someone else came on the line claiming to be his supervisor. He used in a flippant tone that it was just a mere $1.95 like I was ridiculous to pass it up. I insisted that I wanted to know what company I had spent money on that caused me to receive this. He wouldn't tell me so I hung up on him.

I'm a nice person, so I gave them a minute of my time, but I'm not a ###.

Jo
  3rd of Sep, 2008

Just got a call a few minutes ago from a Jennifer Waterman (Indian accent) telling me I was to receive just a $100 gas card (Everybody else on here is getting $300, not me). She put her supervisor(Brian Davis) on to confirm the transaction. His Indian accent was thicker, there's no way this guy's name was really Brian Davis. He gave me the name of the company "EZ1Rate" and sauggested I look into it. I told him I was on the internet as we speak looking into the company and right then the phone clicked as he hung up on me.

Am
  4th of Sep, 2008

i also got a call from this ez1rate and they insisted they were legitte and that all they need is only 1.95off my credit card and that would ensure a pacakage with my name on it and all, but i told him i was not interested and he continued to bother me he called every 2 hours on the dot and was telling me more and more bout his company this wen on for a few days and i finally called the local police about it to file a harassment letter and these guys were tryin to scam the officer, luckily the oficer is trying to prosecute these fools at EZ1 rate hopefully no one else gets "had" or taken advantage of..the man i talked to was william michael he had a REALLY weird accent and he still c ontinues to ring my phone off the hook even though he now knows the cops are investigating... anybody that wil please email me your situation so that i can use it against them i caint print it off from here

Ke
  4th of Sep, 2008

i just had the same situation happened to me but right when i hung up with those guys and giving them my cc # i went online and checked out ez1 right away. I found out it was a scam so immediately called my cc company and closed the account. They are going to give me a new account with everything from the old one transfered to it. Does anyone know if those ez1 guys can still use my old cc account even though i closed my account right after? Thank You.

Na
  5th of Sep, 2008

I recieved a call yesterday(9/4/08) on my house phone...(there are 5ppl living in my house) a man with a heavy indian accent told me his name was Mark Benson empl ID#A1162 from Gold coast, Phoniz, AZ. Said that their partners chose 42 people from MA to give a promotion of $300 gas card and all they needed was my CC to charge $3.95 for shipping. Said he would give me a customer service # 7 DIGIT AUTH CODE. I gave him a fake card number to see what would happen. He continued to call me back every 1-2hrs. Asking if I had another card b/c that one was invalid. I told him thats it. Funny thing is several times after they were no longer GoldCoast they were One service corp.(hugh?)He wanted me to call my bank and authorize I told him to stop calling or I will report harrasment.

Ma
  9th of Sep, 2008

i just received a call from this company in fact caller id was 909 842 9148, some guy with a heavy indian accent. i asked him how he got my number he said because i use it all the time and pay my bills on time. ans i asked how would i know that this is legit. he said " our company is gold coast and weve been around for 25 years". Also they are based in arizona. he kept asking for my visa number and exp date. i got very suspicious and hung up.

Mi
  9th of Sep, 2008

I had the same thing happen to me.

Mo
  17th of Sep, 2008

I received a call 2 days ago announcing that I had made a purchase from one of their partners, and in doing so had earned a free $300 gas card. At the time I said that I doubted I had made a purchase from one of their partners (I'm so poor, I can't purchase anything but food!) He said that I had, and I replied "I guess my bank is selling my info then, huh?!" He said, "No." I told him to put my number on the "Do Not Call" list. He hung up on me.

Today, I got a call again. I recognized it because I was being offered the same thing for the same reason. I explained that I had asked to be placed on the do not call list. He continued to convince me to listen to what he was saying. I told him I wouldn't give any credit info.

He had the wrong mailing address, wrong city, and after correcting this information, he used the corrected city to state that only 10 people from my area were being given this, in exchange for my opinion on service. That was an obvious red flag.

He gave me the name of the company GOLD COAST INTERNATIONAL, PHOENIX, ARIZONA, his name KEVIN RAY, his ID # (which is also his extension) 11705 and his phone number 866-239-6788

I was assured that I wouldn't be charged $3.90 shipping and handling until after I had received the card, but in order to verify that I had the power to purchase with my own visa card, I needed to give him the numbers on the front of the card, beginning with the number 4. I refused. He argued. He said I could use anyone's card, not even my own, or any kind of card with a Visa Logo. Well, duh, I replied "that is still a credit card" He continually said the credit card needed to have a balance that would cover the $3.90, which of course I wouldn't be charged.

He's calling back in 2 hours, because they close at that time.

Let's see, AZ time is only 2 or 3 hours ahead of CA time, if that...a business that closes shop at 1:00 in the afternoon!? Yeah right. My guess is the call is coming from India, which is where his accent is from.

So reverse telephone and business name lookups yeild no such phone or company.

My guess is this EZ1 but they are using a different name and they're trying to get more money!

Tr
  17th of Sep, 2008

This was the creapiest call I've got so far. I answered I was going to tell them to stop calling, due to a call or two everyday, as late as 8:29 pm. The first guy said same as everyone else, the whole... "you were chosen for giving good service to... Master card or Visa. Which card do you have?" Ding, ding, DUH! Warning! Then he proceeded to tell me my full address, full name, I had to hear where he was and what this was about, so I could check it.
Then he connected me to the second guy, the first guys "Supervisor" would give me a comfirmation number. Then the next guy told me that my credit card began with 4, he needed the rest of the number to confirm it's valid. I said "if I'm such a good customer, you should have it." He said it was for MY protection. Ya right! I said no, he said it could have a zero ballance, this was sooo redictulous! I said no.
He asked me if someone in the house had one? I said no, like an idiot, I said "it's just me". Then, check this out, he said "So, you are alone? No one lives with you?" This made me nervous now. I knew I was safe card wise, as long as I gave him nothing. BUT this guy had all my info, so I told him my fiance was not here right now, nor would he give his. Then I said "ya know what forget it, I'm not giving my card #."
The guy was actually nice enough, but now I may get another dead bolt. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for you stories, I was reading them, while on the phone. This kind of info goes a long way, knowing someone else had this situation! Thanks!

Ra
  18th of Sep, 2008

An hour back today (sep 18th 2008) I got a call from a person called, Pamela Jones with an Indian accent. She was saying all about the 300$ and 100$ coupons. When I asked why I got selected, she replied saying that I made some purchase in the local store and hence this an appreciation to promote more business. She was asking for my CC#. I said I'm not comfortable in giving the number to someone over the phone. She said its absolutely safe to give the 16 digit number as the 3-digit cvv number in the back is important, which they wont ask for. I know that without the CVV number your CC can be charged. I'm paying my Time Warner cable bills online and they dont ask for the CVV number. I didnt give her my CC# and I'm not going to. But she had my name and I hope she dont have my CC# (If she had why would she call?).

One thing is very clear. When something is too good to be true, its a TRAP. Avoid these and dont get into unnecessary troubles.

Pk
  19th of Sep, 2008

I just recieved a call from gold coast surpervisors name was paul lawson. I.D # 40252 from phinox az. phone #909-842-9148. I was offered a $300. gas card and I only needed $3.95 for S&H to be paid in 2 or 3 days on my cc. i hung up.

Mo
  19th of Sep, 2008

These guys call me everyday. I just can't get rid of them. And they all call me "mom". I think they are trying to say "Ma'm".

One lady actually told me I had been chosen because I had recently shopped at Wal-Mart. I am totally anti-Wal-mart and never shop there. When I told her this she replied, "Perhaps in a dream?" I am not kidding!

I then heard a lot of panicking in the background and the phone rustling. Then a man came on the phone and started his shpiel all over again.

Telling you that your credit card number starts with a 4 is just a trick they use to get you to think they already have your credit card number. If they think you have a Visa they will say 4 because all visas start with a 4. All mastercards start with a 5 and I believe all American Expresses start with a 3. The first 4 numbers of your card will define what bank or financial institution the card was issued by.

These guys and the Dish Network people are driving me crazy!!!

An
  23rd of Sep, 2008

I AGREE! JUST THE OTHER DAY I RECIEVED ONE OF THESE DUMB CALLS AND THE WHOLE TIME AS I WAS TALKING TO THESE FOREIGNERS (NO OFFENSE), THEY INFORMED ME OF THE FREE $300 COUPON GIFT-BLAH, BLAH BLAH. ANYWAY, SHE WENT ON ABOUT IT AND THEN ASKED ME FOR MY CC INFO AND THAT THEY NEED IT TO VERIFY MY IDENTIDY! NOW, WHY THE HELLL WOULD TAKING DOWN MY CC NUMBER VERIFY WHO I AM? ON TOP OF THAT, EVEN AFTER I KEPT TELLING THEM THAT I HAVE HAD THESE PHONE CALLS BEFORE AND THAT I CAN'T TRUST THEM. THE LADY (WHO CLAIMS HER NAME IS MELLISSA SMITH-AGAIN FOREIGNER??!) KEPT SAYING "DONT WORRY IF I WERE IN YOUR POSITION I WOULD BE THINKING THE SAME THING." SO AGAIN, WHY KEEP NAGGING! OBVIOUSLY THEY WERE TRYING TO DO WHAT SCAMMERS DO, FUUCK WITH PEOPLES ACCOUNTS! THE FUNNY THING WAS, I ACTUALLY ENJOYED OUR CONVERSATION BECAUSE I KNEW BY NOW WHAT THEY WERE UP TO, AND THEY WERE ALSO GETTING IRRITATED WITH HAVING TO REPEAT WHY I SHOULD GIVE THEM MY CC!

SO, SHE IS NOW FED UP WITH ME AND TRANSFERS ME TO WHO SHE CLAIMS WAS THE VERIFICATION MANAGER. WHO COMES TO THE PHONE? ANOTHER DUMB TELLER! HES NOW TRYIN TO PERSUADE ME. I THEN ASKED HIM " WHY WOULD I HAVE TO GIVE THIS INFO OUT IF THIS $300 COUPON IS A GIFT FOR VISA CARD HOLDERS?" HE KEPT GOING ON ABOUT NOTHING, NOT ANSWERING MY QUESTION AND BLABBERING ON ABOUT WHAT IT IS! BY NOW I WAS JUST PISSING THEM OFF.

3RD PERSON COMES ON AND NOW IM JUST LOVIN IT (I KNOW I SHOULD HAVE HUNG UP, BUT IT WAS TOO MUCH FUN!) THEY WERE PISSY WITH ME AND I WAS ASKING ALL SORTS OF QUESTIONS. I ASKED HIM TO GIVE ME THEIR NUMBER SO IF ANYTHING I CAN CONTACT THEM BACK. SURPRISE SUPRISE, HE REFUSED AND TOLD ME I WOULD GET IT AT THE END OF THE MESSAGE! BULLSHIAT! HE STARTED TO GIVE ME AN ATTITUDE SO I YELLED AT HIM FOR CALLING MY HOUSE AND THEN ALSO GETTING [censor]YY WITH ME BECAUSE I WOULDN'T COOPERATE! YEAH SURE, SO I GAVE HIM A FAKE 16 DIGIT NUMBER AND TOLD HIM TO ###K OFF AND THAT THEY WERE FULL OF SHIAT AND TO NEVER CALL ME AGAIN OR THEY'LL HEAR FROM MY LAWYER! THE END!LOL

Se
  24th of Sep, 2008

I agree with everything everyone is saying, i just received the same exact phone call and when i told him i suspected it was a scam he hung up.

Je
  25th of Sep, 2008

this is senior manager from supersavings jeff williams
there are many scam company in india or apart from india but let me tell u one thing if some one called u from any company like super savings then ask there registeration licence number that is 78608nnt bwhidh is registered through better buissness bureau of america.
if they give a wrong registration then that company is a scam
so dont give the information to them

BY SENIOR MANAGER
OF SUPER SAVINGS

JEFF WILLIAMS

An
  26th of Sep, 2008

Just got a call from 1 909-842-9148. Caller ID said "California Call". It came at 8:12am.

I looked back at my caller ID after reading all of the comments. I question whether 1-626-207-9125 (also listed as California call) or 1-949-256-9160 are alternate numbers they are calling from. I am surprised that they have been using the 1-909 number for so long without the BBB intervening.

Same story... 'Sam Watson' (like the others, first and last names VERY American... accent VERY Indian/Pakistani, Employer ID# 13256. I am getting a free gas card because I bought gas using my VISA or Mastercard (I don't do that. I buy using a store credit card.) They just needed for me to give them a VISA or Mastercard number and they would not bill me until AFTER it arrived.

I had a bad connection, so I went to a better phone... next to my computer, and googled EZ1RATE... and here I am. I would have to pay $6.95 for shipping was all they asked of me. I did not have a credit card so they asked me to borrow my spouse's card or go buy any visa gift card and put some $$'s on it. They'll be calling back early next week once I have the gift card.

I have caller ID... except downstairs. No more answering that phone. If I miss a call, I can always call back.

Ra
  29th of Sep, 2008

I just received a call from Caller Id-Unkown, with weird accent saying I was selected to receive $300 gas card. I asked how he got my details and he said my phone number was randomly selected from the list and he was confirming my address and name. I said I was not interested and he kept insisting. I asked his office address-he gave Carson City, Nevada, his name-employer id-6165. I said NO and he hung up.

How do these guys get all details including address, name, telephone #?

Sa
  1st of Oct, 2008

Just got the same call - "Mark Wilson" with a heavy Indian accent and employee ID number 2262 from EZ1Rate. "Why was I called to receive a $300 card for gas, " I asked. "Because I was rich and had good credit, " he said." My only obligation was to send $6.95 for shipping and handling. Where was his company located? "Phoenix, Arizona, " he said. "What was my obligation, " I asked. "I could use the card and then just throw it away, " he said. There was no obligation.

Like the others, he had my name, address and phone number. As he was about to transfer me to a "supervisor" to give me some kind of verification number, I quickly Googled EZ1Rate and found what everyone else has found - EZ1RAte is a scam. I told him the deal sounded too good to be true and that I'd just pulled up information that EZ1Rate was a scam. Told him I was ending the call right then and there. He insisted that I would not be asked for my credit card number, but I hung up on this obvious scam anyway.

Ca
  6th of Oct, 2008

I actually did the stupidest thing... I fell for it. I cancelled my card afterward but I'm still trying to call the companies to let them know I don't want to be part of anything. If there's someone who made the same mistake can you please tell me the the fourth number. I missed it and the company's name so I can't call them... here are the numbers I actually wrote down... 866-239-6788, 866-886-7695, 1866-491-9845. The company I missed had to do with Identity and credit report information. PLEASE HELP!!!