Eyemart Express / bait and switch

1 4189 Phoenix Ave.Fort Smith, AR, United States Review updated:
Phone: 479-434-3680

I saw their add on TV for two pairs of progressives for just under $170. As I would have to travel for an hour to get there I called to make sure that was the cost and there would be no added fees. I was assured that was the price I would pay plus tax. So I went in for my eye exam and headed down there on one of my few days off. There were very few frames in the $39 range which I was told was what was included in the special. Ofcourse you were not told this on the phone. Anyhow after searching there was only one frame that worked for me in the $59 range so I would have to pay the $40 difference. Then as I was being measured she said the lenses would be much more because they fall into the medium size. So my glasses that were advertised at under $170 jumped to $350 before taxes. That was a price I could not swallow and felt like it was the typical 'Bait and Switch Game' they were playing with the customers. We walked out at that point and drove the hour home.

Comments

• Sh
      22nd of Oct, 2009

Its only a bait and switch if you can't get something for the advertised price. I have been to the store and the same as you I didn't find anything I liked in the advertised price section but that's not their fault. You know you could have gotten that advertised price if you really wanted but you chose to go out of the guidelines. Once you did your price went up as you should have expected and if you were measured at a different size then get a different frame. Sounds like your just one of those people that want everything for nothing.

• Ha
      23rd of Oct, 2009

I have a pretty strong feeling you work for this company. It was clearly a bait and switch. For one thing they did not advertise there were only about 20 pairs of frames to choose from at that price and the higher priced frames had quite a large variety in comparison. This information was not given to me on the phone as well. Also they did not adversise that there were different prices for different sizes on the progressives, only one price was listed. The frames I chose were a very middle of the road size, not small and not large. I also did some checking with other shops and they all have one price regardless of size. When I called Eyemart and asked very detailed questions and said I did not want to make the one hour drive there to find out the prices were not as advertised they said there would be no added costs and it was exactly as advertised. Nothing was listed about different prices on progressive lenses depending on size. I do not expect anything for free, just the price advertised on these lenses and glasses.

• Bh
      26th of Oct, 2009

I've been there and there are quite a bit of 39.95 frames... Some people just can't be pleased

• Tr
      1st of Mar, 2010

The ads that optical companies run are to get you in the door---as is the case with a lot of other businesses as well. There ARE three different sizes of progressive lenses, and two different materials that they're made of, as well(glass would be a third, but is rarely used any more). IF you had read the fine print, and I know that it appears and disappears quickly on a television ad, you would have seen the stipulation that certain types of lenses and/or frames were included in the price mentioned. ALL of the optical retailers run similar ads, just worded differently. Go to Lenscrafters, and you'll probably pay $350.00 for ONE pair of glasses, as you will, too, at most Doctor's offices that sell glasses. You mentioned that you called other "shops" and that they have one price regardless of size of progressive---but you neglected to say WHAT the price was(a lot more, I'm certain). I agree that you do sound like one of those folks that want everything for nothing... It's your eyesight, for chrissakes, and you're squealing about spending two or three hundred bucks on eyeglasses every two or three(or in your case, probably ten) years. I'll bet you wouldn't think twice about going out to eat at a really nice restaurant and dropping fifty or sixty bucks per person for a meal, right? Get real.

4th of Jun, 2010

I went to Eyemart Express expecting low prices. The sales person right off the bat told me it was going to be $220.00 regardless of what frames I choose but " don't worry, the scratch guard is included in the price." Wow. That was mighty [pardon the expression] white of them. I e-mailed a complaint but hadn't heard back yet.

• 0 Votes

I have had 2 consecutive sets of defective frames within 3 mos of each other. Both times they said they couldn't just get the frames and that I'd have to purchase a complete set of new frames. I find it amusing that an internet search of the frames showed them being easily available on the net. I also find it interesting that they will have the same profit margin on the replacement set with their 50% warranty. Strangely enough both frame companies have 1 year warranties on their frames and they never said a word about this. Either they are shady or they have a customer no-service business model. Either way, I'm done with them as is 7 of my family members who have been going there for many years. I hope it was worth it to you eye mart!

• Xx
      21st of Nov, 2010

@customer service is just a catch phrase

First, the frames they get from other companies. EyeMart doesn't sit in the back and make frames. That is why they offer the 1year breakage plan. If anything happens to them other then lost of stolen, they will replace them. If they don't have the frames in stock, you can pick out another frame of equal or less value, and they will remake the lens for you. Secondly, the internet isn't updated everyday. It could easily show a frame in stock, and by the time you get to the store, somebody could have bought it. The frames on the internet are frames we carry. If the frame manufacturer recalls a frame, or stops making it, again they internet isn't updated in the blink of an eye. They don't have a 50% warranty. If the frame breaks within a year, then bring it in and they will replace it FREE. The lens warranty is 20 bucks and covers your lens up to 1 year. The warranty ends up paying for itself the first time you use it. I find it hard to believe an employee "forgot" to mention our 1 year breakage warranty. I also find it hard to believe you missed the AT LEAST 3 signs in the store that say it.

23rd of Feb, 2011

well i was going to go there and get mine, but thanks for the heads up i think i will just go to wal mart at least i am use to them screwing me lol.

• Co
      16th of Apr, 2014

i wanted new lenses in my old ( perfect titaniam which i had bought new from them) . the sales person told me that they cant do that. i had to buy new and expensive frames.

• 12
      22nd of Oct, 2016

I know this is an old board so I have no idea if anyone will actually even see this, but I stumbled upon it while doing some research on Eyemart Express. I am seriously insulted by how rude everyone was to the person who left the original comment - and I'm with the first gal - sounds like eyemart express employees leaving comments. This place is a scam and it's so obvious. The prices they advertise sound great, but when something sounds too good to be true - it usually is. This place could not be more of a blatant example of a classic bait and switch. Sorry people are so rude to you, but you are absolutely right. Hope you got your glasses worked out somewhere classier.