Extreme Fitness / Terrible company

1 90 Interchange WayVaughan, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

Yesterday I received a call - message from an Extreme Fitness representative Alessandra Panno stating that I had won the second prize (free month membership, free consultation and 240$ towards the purchase of anything relating to the center) to a contest I had entered (I had filled out a ballot at a local restaurant). My friend, Michelle, called Allessandra back and got all the information necessary to claim our 'prize' and finally we were scheduled for an appointment to consult with her about how to get my free month and other prizes. And now that I think of it, I know why they gave Michelle a free month as well.

Like so many others have stated, they sweet talk you and get you to think that you actually won something. we were a little skeptical about signing up on a contract but for monthly fees, its 129$/month. So we asked Alessandra if we could cancel anytime during the contract as we might be moving away. She said and I quote 'Oh yes, for sure, no problem there. Here hold on, it's written here on the contract...' She paused because she couldn't find it then said 'Hold on, I'll go see the manager'.

We waited a minute or so and when she came back she said 'Yes, there's no problem there, all we need i proof that you moved at least 25 km's away.' So we signed without actually reading through the whole contract and they now also have our credit card information. Alessandra clearly stated 'We need your credit card information on file to process all the information. We weren't quite done yet.

A dude came along and booked us for an assessment evaluation as to where we were physically. Both Michelle and I didn't really want this physical assessment as we just wanted to hop on a treadmill and do our own thing... But they pressured us into one. And then we shook hands and left.

When we got home, I really didn't like the way they pressured us into getting an assessment done so Michelle called and asked if we could skip that and just get access to do our own thing in the gym... They didn't want to. Michelle spoke with a manager and he told us and i quote again 'It's the first time in my life that I've heard people say they don't want a free assessment done'. Oh really? well there's always a first and I'm not proud of my body and don't need anyone telling me how bad it is, that's why I don't want... I can assess myself thank you.

So michelle got really upset with the way they handled the situation and I told her to nevermind my so called 'prize' and call back to cancel everything. What do you know... nobody was available. We have 10 days to cancel and this is day 2... I will be going there tomorrow, in person to cancel everything and I will show them that they are committing FALSE PRETENCES. I've read many cases of individuals who fell victim to their scam... and it's not right!!!

I am sure I won't be able to get out of it unless drastic measures are taken. Whatever it takes, whatever I have to do, whoever wants to help... I've got a few teachers and old co-workers who have worked all their lives in the law enforcement field and I have personally attended college and have basic knowledge regarding the Canadian Law. We have rights and Extreme Fitness is taking them away from us. We put our trust in to this company and they put our money in their account.

FALSE PRETENCE is a representation of fact, either past or present, by words or otherwise known to be false, made with fraudulent intent or to induce a person to act on it.

Go

Comments

13th of Jun, 2009

HI,
    THis is almost exactly what happened to me and my and my freind. we got pressured into sighing a paper, which they said was just to show we get a free training asssesment,

that we were not agreeing to the 90 $ traner, an dwas told if we want to cancel it, we call and tell them.

we called them and told them we didnt want the training service and cancel this...
    The next thing you know we have our credit cards charged, we go in today, and the guy simply has no customre service, tell us thats nogt the case he cannot do anything and that he never said that we were getting a free assesment, that we can call in to cancel, apperantly we have to talk to him personally by coming in to cancel..

He gave us hardtime and stated that we didnt can cancel and we should have come in to tell the one t raining manager (himself), , not good enough to tell the trainer.

then he sits there tells us we are making up stories.

I cannot believe they are such scammers,
    in fact when we signed up for the membership, we had literally told him before we left him point blank that we would think about the training service and if we decide we will take it later but for now we did not want it.

Can i ask your help and telling me what you had to do, what extreme actions you took, how it went?
    email me at jon8mike@hotmail.com, please..im sooo pissed.both me and my friend

• Ex
      22nd of Jun, 2009

ExtremeFitness.Com is not affiliated with any gym chain; it's a discussion website for fitness enthusiasts.

• Re
      24th of Feb, 2010

I can't believe you guys are getting quoted these outrageous amounts! More so, I can't believe you just blindly went for it. Firstly, memberships generally go somewhere between $350 to $450 per year. $40/month is a good price. Extreme is a little pricey for what it offers, but it's up to you to decide it it's worth it. Secondly, the cheapest membership at Extreme Vaughan is around $475 for the year, if you pay all at once. If you pay monthly, it works out be about about an extra $10/month, so it's worth the one time annual rate. Thirdly, personal training goes for $75/session. Lastly, if you don't want a personal assessment, you don't need to get one done, and they didn't pressure me into getting it done. The manager's reaction was more along the lines of, "Really? It costs you nothing, and it's there if you want it. The choice is yours." I did end up doing the assessment, and I'm glad I did. I was way more out of shape than I thought! Yah, I was quite embarrassed, but it was with myself that I was embarrassed. I let myself get get out of shape and gain 40-lbs. Nobody forced me to do it. Just like nobody can force you to join this gym. You have to say, "Listen, we appreciate your time spent with, but we're not ready to commit to something like this right now. Would you give us your card, and we'll call you when we're ready. Thanks for your time." You have to remember, this is a marketing business. They sell health and fitness, and they want you to buy their business over everyone elses. And along the way, there will be "scams" that come across. It's up to you be informed and make the right decision.

Let this be a lesson learned. You're passing on your experiences to others to be cautious about, so head your own advice.

And here's something else for you to think about: if you really didn't want this, you wouldn't have allowed yourself to be talking into it in the first place. It's like going to BMW and having the sales guy talk you into buying the nice i128 for $44500 when you know you can really only afford the Festiva for $20350 (before the hidden fees & taxes). Are you really going to allow the BMW marketing rep to talk you into something you know you can't afford or need? ... I didn't think so.

Always take a step back, and think about it. Walk away for day or two or week. Do you're homework. Crunch your numbers. If you really want and can afford it after you've done all that, then, go back and buy i128.

The bottom line is, you're in control of what and how you spend your money. There are scammers everywhere, and they will always try to get you "hooked." If you want it, take it. If you're not sure, walk away and think about it. If you're really uncomfortable with what is being presented to you, then say "no thanks, " and walk away.

• To
      22nd of Mar, 2011

I'm sorry to say I have had this exact same experience. I just recently joined extreme fitness at yonge and sheppard and they told me about the personal assessement. I didn't want to do it because I had joined once before several years back and I had done the assessment and I knew all it was was a chance for them to pressure you into paying an outrageous amount of money for a personal trainer. So anyways, this time I told them I didn't want to do the assessment and they told me I had to do it or else I couldn't get my membership card! because at this point they had given me the temporary card which is basically the piece of paper with a barcode on it. I had to make a huge deal about it because they just wouldn't budge on the assessment and finally I told them that if that was the case I was just going to cancel the entire membership because I thought their insistance on it was extremely ridiculous. Anyways, they finally gave me my permanent membership card without me having to do the assessment. I can't believe I had to o through so much trouble just to get my membership card that I paid for! I've experienced terrible service here and it's sad to see that it isn't an isolated incident, but is happening at other Extreme gyms in other areas. I guess its a company policy, a VERY bad one I might add. I will not be renewing my membership.

• Ov
      13th of Nov, 2011

I am going to skip 2 years of dealing with extreme fitness, Wellington Club at Wellington and York in Toronto and go straight to closing my membership. Mine was a month to month membership. I canceled October 2011 and the representative, Gavin Ratnam, gave me the "great news" that I could use the gym up to Dec 31, 2011. I insisted I want my membership cancel as October 31 and his reply was there is nothing he could do because that's the way their computer system works and he couldn't change it. So, although my membership was in a month to month basis they will charge me an extra month, November, and my month deposit will be used towards the month of December.
    Even more frustrating is that there is no one to complain, in person, phone or email. The only contact I could find in the Extreme Fitness web site is Alison Stephens, Manager of Public Relations ( astephens@extremefitness.ca ) who hasn't reply to the email I send complaining about been charged two months extra after canceling my membership. Decide for yourself if it is worth to make business with a place like that.