Extreme Fitness / Scam and cheating

I moved here from Texas and went to the Sheppard and Yonge location of extreme fitness. I met with a representative called Fern Raufi and I CLEARLY asked her if I could leave the gym if I wanted to after 4 months. I didnt really want to leave but wanted to be sure that if needed I can always withdraw. She enthusiastically said yes and I walked away with the paper work with the intention of having it signed and returned in a few days. She kept calling me for 2 days after that to make sure I come back in which I did because her guarantee seemed solid and like most consumers, when a legit representative of a company is so sure about what is allowed and can be done, I believed her.

My contract started in June 08. I went back to them in Feb 08 because I did not want to go there anymore and the manager flatly told me he could do nothing. when I told him what I was told, he completely ignored me and asked me to leave. Since the woman who had signed me was no longer there, I had no way of validating my stand. The manager very eagerly pointed out the 'one year term' rule and because I had not been diligent in reading that agreement I did not argue much. Then in Feb or March, I went back again to ask for an add on location [since I was working right next to one of their location in downtown Toronto]. I asked the man who was setting me up that I will prob not be at my work place for long and if I would be allowed to drop the add on come the end of my work committments in downtown toronto. Again he vehemently agreed and said I could walk in any day and cancel it.

Well I walked in begining of April and asked to be dropped off the add on and the manager [Sia] brushed me off saying its not possible and I should talk to the person who signed me up. I was shocked to say the least at her audacity to just shove me off. As soon as I started protesting, she just stared at her screen and ignored me completely [and I was not screaming or shouting but very calmly trying to tel her I had been told this was possible].

What surprises me is the used car salesman mind set of these gyms. THey have no conscience. They dont care if a person cant afford to pay them or if he doesnt have enough cash to pay his mortgage and could soon be on the street. All they care about is their [censored]ng money. I wonder how these crooks and liars sleep at night. In any event it seems obvious that those who have no qualifications whatsoever, become gym administrators.

Shame ! Why does the canadian business bureau not investigate these claims. I unfortunately had no way of verifying my claims because I had thrown out the contract etc but if I did, I would have sued these people for fraud.

Later on I found out from 2 of my friends that extreme had done the same to them and a couple of ppl they knew.

Gym contracts are just like credit card contracts. Wordy and misleading.

Ha

Comments

• Ex
      22nd of Jun, 2009

ExtremeFitness.Com is not affiliated with any gym chain; it's a discussion website for fitness enthusiasts.