ExploreTalent.com

Nightmare

4.6
ExploreTalent.com
exploretalent.com
I feel really stupid now after reading another report about Exploretalent.com. I had signed up on a free membership a while back and in late January/early February received an email saying that a casting director was interested in me. When looking to see what it was, it turned out to be for a local hair show and it paid $100. I was really excited about the audition and I looked up the company and they were legit. When I had called Explore Talent to get the information, they looked on my page and said, 'oh you're not a pro-member, I can't give you that information unless you sign up as a pro-member.' I asked how much it was and they had said something around $33 a month or I can get a 'deal' and pay around $70-75 for three months and that I'd have more of a chance getting more work with a longer period of time. I thought it was kind of weird that I had to pay to get information and told him I'd have to call back because my funds were low so I'd have to ask my boyfriend if he can spot me the money. He then said 'you have to ask your boyfriend?' So I then told him yeah and explained again because I had no money at the time. My boyfriend said to save money I should do the three month thing and when I had called back, the guy took my information and 'set up' my pro-membership and started giving me all these compliments like 'you have some pretty pictures' and even told me once that 'did you know you have other casting directors interested in you too?' I thought he meant I had others who had sent me emails that I hadn't gotten or something. So this made me even more excited. Well I didn't end up modeling for the one company that emailed their interest to me, but did model for another one I met at the show anyway. When I was looking at my 'pro-member' casting page, I saw that they had these pretty 'generic' casting that you would find in a newspaper or on a theater website or something. Another thing I found odd and I didn't appreciate was that the 'booking department' would 'submit' me for these roles that I didn't even fit! One that I remember was for an MTV True-Life that wanted lesbians and another MTV True-Life that wanted people going off to war or coming home from war. First of all, I see these castings already on the MTV.com website. Second of all, I'm not a lesbian and I haven't been to war nor come home from any kind of war so I was wondering 'why am I being submitted for these?' I felt mad because I didn't know before reading the other response to this rip-off that they don't actually submit anything to anyone. I was thinking that they were submitting me to these and that I would be getting calls or emails or something and have to explain that no I don't actually fit their criteria they want. Another thing I didn't like was that they had me list three cities that I prefer working in. I live in the Midwest and had locations such as Missouri, Iowa, and Minnesota. I was getting casting calls for New York, Pennsylvania, Michigan, etc. I feel totally ripped off and wish I would've just turned down the offer to become a 'pro-member' so that I could get that audition information. I hope that something gets done about it like a class-action lawsuit or somebody puts their foot down that has a powerful say in the matter because Explore Talent don't care about their 'models' and just worry about how much money they can rake in.
Complaint comments Comments (66) Complaint country United States Complaint category Products & Services

Comments

A  3rd of Jul, 2016 by    0 Votes
I've never sought out acting or modeling gigs. Ever. I'm a computer nerd - a very security conscious type, too, who was not born yesterday - not an actor. I'm not even on social media save for a Twitter account I use largely as a news feed, using no personal face photos or other easily identifiable information in either profile or feed. I hate Facebook and would never use them for a personal profile. Ever. They are just as evil as Google.

I guard my personal information like it was solid platinum and rare diamonds. Still, SOMEHOW these clowns - Explore Talent - got my very closely guarded second cell phone number that I do not give out for anything other than beyond-a-doubt legitimate business. "Tiffany" from 702-857-7435 left a message on this line that she was "following up on my interest in acting and modeling opportunities". Again, this is an "interest" I have never had nor expressed. Perhaps they have this number from a previous assignee. But my gut instinct is that my NOT BEING AN ACTOR OR MODEL along with my online research convinces me this is just an elaborate scam designed to aggregate personal information and basically steal money from the gullible. Imagine people from the Internet not being honest. :-/

DON'T FALL FOR IT, ESPECIALLY IF YOU REALLY ARE SOMEONE LOOKING FOR ACTING AND/OR MODELING OPPORTUNITIES. THIS IS NOT THE BEHAVIOR OF A LEGITIMATE BUSINESS! DO NOT PAY TO WORK!!!

Always do your due diligence, lest ###s like these make off with your money and your identity.

Viva Lost Wages, if you don't look out!

Peace.
A  4th of Feb, 2016 by    0 Votes
Great Article. suggestions - I am thankful for the details . Does someone know if my company can get a fillable a form form to type on ?
N  4th of Apr, 2015 by    0 Votes
name of the office in cebu...universal tech...google it if you like. rip off...i was once an agent for them for 2 weeks...couldnt stand the scam.
N  4th of Apr, 2015 by    0 Votes
its such a big scam.. 2 offices one in las vegas on in cebu philippines...ceo and flyer attached ...name of ceo mikhael cook

N  4th of Apr, 2015 by    0 Votes
Its a call center run in Cebu Philippines...Led by a CEO named Mikhael Cook...They have 2 offices, one in las vegas nevada and another in Cebu Philipines...the name of the call center is universal Tech.

as i mentioned before ...what a big scam.
Google the company yourself...attached are pics of Mikhael and the company flyer.
N  26th of Aug, 2014 by    0 Votes
I AM a Casting Director
I have used Explore Talent numerous years to recruit my talent and I ALWAYS turn out satisfied with the talent.

Regarding THIS particular complaint, there really doesn't seem to be any MERIT in the NATURE of her complaint. Maybe I missed something in her complaint but that what I DID read, made me think she actually DID get what Explore Talent offers - she was given an offer from a company (just not the company E.P told her about) and as a director, maybe once she appeared in person (if that were the case) she just wasn't what the company was looking for.

This is the status of being an ASPIRING talent. You WILL GO THROUGH the status!
You will get called to an audition if your profile meets the initial criteria and there is a chance you could make it in front of the casting agent or the director and you're just not what they expected. In my casting I've had some who aren't what they were in their profile - sometimes they're BETTER than expected and sometimes their in person appearance just isn't enough.

Like one of the responses said, AS THE ASPIRING TALENT YOU MUST PUT YOURSELF OUT THERE AND NETWORK.

If you don't put in the work, don't expect Explore Talent to do all the work for you!
A  1st of Aug, 2014 by    0 Votes
Having been in the entertainment business at one level or another all of my life, I am familiar with this scam. One of the posters made a very good comment. Never, Never pay an agency to book you etc.
A  17th of Jul, 2013 by    +1 Votes
im against exploretalent there was a child predator on their and young girls were falling victim to him and i called and told them and they said we do not interfere with are talents. Later i was bullied by a fifty something woman and she reported me and i woke up to see my page and hard work gone. Waste of time. I was trying to be a good person and in this business theirs anough bullying and hate to go around that you have to put up with, without it being where im trying to get help. Quite honestly the traditional meet an agent in person is the only 100% way to get better life long results. Explore talent operates on time for money. If you think about it look honestly at the talent on there you can tell that anyone can be on their, meaning anyone and everyone will be given " casting oppurtunities", not because they have an actual chance but to keep you on there website. They had nothing against me to take down a 15 year olds profile because a fifty year old woman became intimidated by a younger girl because how quick i recieved votes in there little contests and stuff, and oppurtunities. Total crap i could have been spending my time hanging out with friends like people my age should but no i wanted to better my career but thankyou explore talent for all the awesome things you have to offer, whatever, Ok someone not right for a part and not talented can be "submitted" to a transformer audition, Now lets think dont you think that for such big auditions they already have in mind people already famous for the parts. Big movies get big actors, to make Big money because when you see you favorite actor in a movie you want to see it. Explore talent is glorified craigslist. At least craiglist knows theirs few morals but exploretalent llike to put out that their the most respected online talent site. RESPECTED SCAM.. Also if paying a company for your talent is seen as the number one sign of a Scam what makes you think that sign is different online... i apoligise for spelling and grammatical errors my keyboard isnt working correctly sorry.
N  12th of Jul, 2013 by    0 Votes
MASSIVE SCAM
they call u 24/7 & harass you to give them $70
A  16th of Jun, 2013 by    0 Votes
Explore Talent lifted the text right from my CraigsList ad, put it on their website, then responded to my ad to say that they can help me fill the singing role I'm advertising for. I didn't even bother replying to them. So wonder what they'll do if someone on their site responds to "my" ad? It does sound like they are not totally legit, but you don't need to pay anything to read Craigslist and respond. I don't see the complaints out there about the legit agencies, nor do I see posts from those companies scrambling to counter public opinion like they have here. I didn't get scammed and I haven't lost a cent...just want to make people know about how they were trying to work my ad (I'm advertising for a singer for a band and I guess they thought I was someone important). Beware folks...lots of slick packaging and not enough law enforcement against it!
N  14th of Sep, 2012 by    0 Votes
i got to admit that also i have not work for them but i got a call as well and they said i'm gorgeous to be a model and they don't understand why i'm not one yet and tried to get money from me they almost got me untill they ask for money that's when i hanged up the call...
N  14th of Sep, 2012 by    0 Votes
Legally the only person that can take money from you is a talent agency that you become contractually bound with. Casting directors go through agents to avoid any legal hassle that could arise from using non-union (non-SAG) members. This places the burden upon your agent to ensure that all parties are represented correctly and all interests be considered before an offer is made to a non-union member. Anyone that solicits money for any casting is in direct violation of applicable laws per state but are hard to prosecute since these are third party entities and you act in the capacity of self representation when you are dispatched to an audition.
N  3rd of Aug, 2012 by    0 Votes
I agree with the complaints, sadly. I tried calling them back several times to cancel the pro-membership. I cancelled my credit card as well so they won't take any more money out. They haven't returned my calls or e-mailed me back once. Their customer service just takes me to voicemail during regular business hours. This is totally a scam!
N  28th of Jul, 2012 by    0 Votes
wow so i lost $200 buck with this company! damn they call me too and told me the same ### that have told u guys and i was so stupid that paid the $200 dollars that they ask me to to go Pro, member! f*** can believe this ### :/
A  21st of Jun, 2012 by    0 Votes
I too was curious about this company. Never being one to be fooled by scams, I did kind of wonder how they got my number and address, and sometimes I look at sites like these when I am bored so I was curious, thinking maybe I did sign up for something at one point. During the conversation, the rep on the phone kept complimenting me and tried to get information about my physical appearance and if I had younger kids or siblings (I assume to poach them as well). Then he wouldn't shut up, like someone trying to hard. Lastly, he told me that this movie was starring ben affleck and was not being filmed in Cleveland, my major city, but my small town. So an alarm went off in my head. First thing I did was run home to check out Ben Affleck on IMDB and see if he was indeed filming a movie with Jessica alba like this man said. He in fact was not. I then checked the greater Cleveland film commission, which gives details on all filming or industry news in Cleveland and the surrounding cities and there was nothing listing this movie. So my words of advice are, trap them. Ask so many questions that the person on the phone just can't answer them any more. No one calls people up randomly for extras because everyone wants to be a star, so casting calls are never begging for more people, especially in a small city where a filming of any kind would garner big attention. Just trust your gut and never, ever give out your account information over the phone to anyone. Always ask for something to come in the physical mail. If they want you, they will comply.
A  7th of Feb, 2012 by    0 Votes
PLEASE EVERYONE WHO HAS FALLEN FOR THIS TRICK, get back to me!! I'm putting together a case, but I need YOUR help. This is a great start, but I need more! Thank you!
A  7th of Feb, 2012 by    0 Votes
I would like for everyone who has had a problem with this company to get back to me. I'm putting together a case against them but I need YOUR help. This is a great start though, good work!
A  31st of Jan, 2012 by    +1 Votes
SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM

they lie about number of casting calls they offer, I have counted
they send expired casting notifications via email..
N  30th of Nov, 2011 by    0 Votes
Explore talent has been using the same model as these other companies that you have heard of in your area, Barbizon, John Casablnaca, John Robert Powers, and those scouting services that come to your local mall. They just do it in a more 21st century way via the Internet. But they all do the same thing. They prey on the uninformed, the fame seekers, and the stage moms. Pretty much they all say the same thing, " Wow, has anyone told you that you can be a model?" or if you are not tall enough "You look like you can be a movie star." All they try to do is feed your ego, get you vulnerable, then fast talk you into trying to sign-up for a membership. Back in the 90's to early 2000's this was a common thing with these talent scouts that patrol high traffic areas such as malls, and downtown. As a matter of fact I am sure there are still those approaches going on now. I'm sure every few to 6 months you hear the radio about talent scouts coming to your mall. Explore talent works the same way. They will get you to sign up for bogus stuff, then tell you that you will need to pay more for other features on their websites. Unfortunately these companies having been doing this for years, and the money they rake in is so much that they know that even with bad reviews that they will still make money. Even if they go through a lawsuit they will settle and still scam more people. So i just implore to everyone do your research prior to signing up. If you used a credit card, you can dispute it. But overall, if you used your debit card, more than likely you have lost that money. Horrible way to learn about the business, but in all industries, there are legit companies, and there are scam companies. Good luck.
N  24th of Nov, 2011 by    0 Votes
We called the better business burrow and asked if this site is real. It's not real!

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree