ESBI / Repeated charges

I was billed by ESBI and when I called they said they were authorized to bill me. They gave me a name of someone who doesn't exist - in my life at least. I was given credit and now have received another charge on this month's bill. When I called Embarq to see exactly how I could be billed by them for a third party transaction I didn't authorize the phone rep said, "I'm not getting paid for it. I'm not taking your money." I said that his company gets the money and he said, "I'm not taking your money." Why am I getting this charge? He said, because you authorized it. They have a tape." Then play it for me - I have been on hold for over 10 minutes. I will report this to my congressman. You should all complain to your politicians - this is all regulated.

Until I googled ESBI, I thought this was just my problem. To see it so widespread is very sad that we are all being taken advantage of.

Va

Comments

13th of Oct, 2008

I work for a major telecom company and I constantly get customers who are billed by this and other "3rd party billers" without knowledge or permission. USUALLY this happens when a customer answers an online survey or contest ("Get a free $100 gift card just for taking survey" etc.) and there is usually some sort of disclosure (3 pgs. of fine print that people don't usually read) that says by accepting you will be billed by XYX company for this service. You need to look at your monthly bill very carefully and dispute anything that doesn't look right.