[Resolved] Emusic.com / Unauthorized billing

I received an offer with my purchase of a Netgear router for 50 free songs and one free audio book. When I went to emusic.com I didn't like what I saw so I canceled and never downloaded anything.

When I checked my charge card statement online I saw they billed me. When I called to dispute the charge (I called three times) I was given the exact same answer read off a sheet; 'you upgraded your account before you canceled and you signed that you would not get a refund we can not give you a refund, is there anything else?' and hung up.

• Resolution statement

• eMusic.com Customer Care's Response, Aug 10, 2011

Hi jld31,
    I'd like to step in and help you out. If possible, can you email me at emusichelps@emusic.com or follow us on Twitter - we're there as well, helping resolve issues. Sorry for any confusion, I do hope to hear from you and look forward to helping!
    Jacob

Bi

Comments

29th of Jan, 2008
    EMusic.Com
    Texas
    www.emusic.com

I have been billed been trying to cancel a monthly charge of $9.99 since September 2006. It is now January 2008 and I have sent a certified letter to the New York address. I still have not received a reply. The website email is a fraud.

1st of Apr, 2008
    eMusic.com - unrequested billing
    Emusic
    New York
    New York
    emusic.com

I did not request a subscription, but was billed $9.99 by my credit card which was required for a free trial by their web site. Then, since this was bill without my approval, my account bounced and I was charged an additional $55.oo. I was lucky that my bank refunded the additional charges, but I have not been able to get a response back from this company and I am afraid they will make another fee charge without my knowledge or approval.

• Pe
      22nd of Apr, 2008
    Emusic.com

I never signed up for this service and I am demanding $69.93 returned to my account. Please advise others to take action

• Lu
      13th of May, 2008
    239-19 147rd
    Rosedale
    Phone: 9174995047

Sign up 4 trial offer next thing i know get statement from bank that im have a overdraft on 2 charges comre to find out there a charge of 9.99 threw my acct out of balance.

• Be
      13th of May, 2008
    New Hampshire

I have sent e-mails and called and now im coming here because im getting charged for something I Cancelled many times...These people are rip offs and should be shut down...

• Ka
      22nd of May, 2008
    www.emusic.com

Bought an MP3 player from QVC. These signed up via the internet to download the free songs. Was supposed to be able to cancel after my trial period. But to no avail. I tried to cancel via email and ended up with another additional charge. There is no way they let you cancel.

Can't someone get to these people and stop this rip off.

• Si
      22nd of May, 2008

You could get the bank to delete/stop the direct debit to eMusic.com

Try that :D

14th of Jun, 2008
    ?
    ?
    Phone: good luck with that one
    emusic.com

I feel that a state AG or a federal fraud investigation should be started regarding this company, as to deceptive intent as well as a website that is impossible to navigate through to cancel without actually signing up again! I had to call my credit card company for 6 continuous months to get a charge from them reversed after receiving a cancellation confirmation email.

• Ek
      18th of Jul, 2008

emusic.com is absolutely fraud. they charge credit even I am not ever heard of this site before until I saw the bill. This is NYC based company and bunch of indian frauds worka nd they con credit cards. NYS attorney generala nd FBI should vigourusly invenstigate this site

• Me
      28th of Sep, 2008
    eMusic.com - money transaction

I have tried to cancel this subscription multiple times and the company runs you in circles and will not allow your e-mails to go through. There is no phone number or direct email available to contact the company. I am going to call my credit card company and have them deal with it.

• Po
      4th of Nov, 2008

I never signed up or even heard of this website and I was being charged. I called to cancel it and get a refund and they refused.

• Va
      15th of Nov, 2008

I did a trial with emusic, that was being promoted by wal-mart with the purchase of electronic equipment. the trial period was for 7 days. on the second day I canceled my trial membership. I come to discover around 18 days latter that emusic had taken $19.99 out of my bank account. I logged on to emusic.com and filed a complaint and prompted them to refund my money, that it was wrongfully taken for services not rendered on 10/28/08, claim #329598-694032. emusic.com will not respond to the claim, and say that if I file anything else it will only allow them to drag out their effortless response. I believe that wal mart should also be aware of this kind of activity which is being promoted by them.

• Em
      6th of Jan, 2009

Emusic is a total scam. We were stupid enough to sign up for the free trial. We cancelled it -- and they still charged us! The free trial is a total lie. Don't do it! And now I'm having a horrible time cancelling it. The way they set up their website it's impossible to cancel it. STAY AWAY FROM EMUSIC AT ALL COSTS!!!

• Ba
      11th of Jul, 2009

In Sept 2007 - I made the huge mistake of responding to an offer for "free" music downloads from eMusic.com -- the offer seemed genuine. eMusic sent me an email welcoming me to eMusic in Sept 2007. Up until now (Mar 2009) - that is the only contact that I have had with eMusic.com. Upon doing my taxes earlier today - I found an 11.99 charge every month for last year (and now have also found out that eMusic has also billed me for Jan, Feb and Mar -- in addition to Sept Oct Nov and Dec 2007). Upon finding this issue - I contacted eMusic to ask for a refund as I have not downloaded a single track and now find that I have paid nearly $230 dollars to this company. I asked eMusic to find a reasonable amount for settlement given that (1) I have not downloaded any music I have not heard from them since Sept 2007 They have automatically renewed my "membership" (not sure if I would call it a membership as member programs normally keep members appraised)

This is obviously a rip-off company -- I would urge everyone to boycott this company -- additionally their practices are definitely below the line -- in this age of Bernie Madoff, I find it reprehensible that a company can be in business with such dubious business ethics. This company should be sued and driven out of business. Spend your money elsewhere!

• Fo
      1st of Aug, 2009

I find I have had a very similar experience. I gave them some money before I was able to download my FREE songs and then was not able to do anything else. I was never able to navigate to any other portions of their website with out being directed to re-enter my credit card info. When I emailed this development to them they emailed back and said it was a fault of my computer and gave me about a dozen ways to "fix" the problem. Needless to say, it did not and I decided cancel my membership. This was not possible either as you are just continually redirected to the page for re-entering your credit card info. I googled "emusic sucks" and found that this is a growing phenomenon for a company that at one time evidently had a good reputation. I am sorry I did not know about them then...I certainly do not want to know them anymore and everyone should look out for them.

• Fo
      1st of Aug, 2009

I neglected to say, I was forced to cancel my credit card to avoid any further contact with this company...DO NOT USE THESE FOLKS !

• Oc
      7th of Aug, 2009
    eMusic.com - Dishonest business
    Emusic.com

I signed up for a free trial but canceled. I got an email with a "special offer" asking me to rejoin. When I clicked to investigate I was re-enrolled without any warning or authorisation from me. This is a deeply dishonest business and I advise all to avoid it. I am attempting to get my credit card charged reversed. Will advise on progress.

• Rl
      22nd of Mar, 2010
    Virginia

Avoid emusic.com as it is a total waste! I had to call twice to cancel the subscription and was charged for two months of service I never wanted. They will never refund money -- that's their policy. In other words, their policy is to steal your money. Stay away.

• Kr
      24th of May, 2010
    EMusic.com
    emusic.com

I've canceled my membership twice before the 7-day trial subscription offer and was still billed on my card. What kind of racket is this people practicing and how come the BBB had done nothing about it. When I tried to enter my complaint, they asked about the physical address and ph number. And insisted not even one complaint has being filed against the company. Is it true?

20th of Dec, 2010
    Emusic.com

This company is a [censored]ing rip off group of con artists...do not use the website!!! They tell you your getting "free music" then charge your credit card..