Educational Funding Company / class action lawsuit

Chevy Chase, MD, United States Review updated:

I am meeting with a lawyer in hopes of starting a class action lawsuit against the Educational Funding Company and am hoping that there are lots of you out there who want in! Please contact me!

Comments

• Lo
      3rd of Feb, 2010

I am definitely on board with the class action lawsuit. I was a Stan Lee's United Martial Arts student in Ormond Beach, Florida. I signed a one year contract, which is expired. However, the school is claiming I signed a three year contract for their "Blackbelt Club", a contract of which I did not receive a copy. The school is claiming they "will look" for their copy to provide to me, as well as to EFC. EFC refuses to cease billing my credit card against my authorization while referring to my supposed contract with the school. I don't believe EFC can legally determine what a binding contract is between myself and a martial arts school in the State of Florida.

• Bo
      17th of Dec, 2018

@lonnie1120 The same thing is happening to me!

9th of Feb, 2010

I am definately interested in joining the suit! I have provided all of the inforamtion the company requested to cancel my contract and they still refuse to cancel the whole contract AND they sent my sons father (who is not my husband) to collections instead of me which is not right. I signed the contract it came out of MY account but becasue I was a woman the owner of the KARATE establishment put my sons fathers name on EVERYTHING!

• Ef
      9th of Feb, 2010

I had a 6 month contract with a karate school, 3o days prior to the end of the contract we notified them we were not going to renew. We conpleted the 6 months, and sure enough my bank account was charged on month 7, and then again on month 8 thats when i had to cancel my bank card. The karate school said my husband agreed to extend the contract by 2 months...Huh, it was my contract, my card my signiture...I am currently in the process of disputing this with my bank, but they are getting no where...I am out over 300$ and i am receving collection notices for more money, diffrent amounts each time, I have called them over 30X's I get the same woman every time, and now they want to send my husband to collections, he has nothing to do with this, they call my home trying to collect money, and each time I tell them...you owe me money...They are theives, and the schools dealing with them should be shutdown. I am so on board with a law suit, I am disgusted with them.

• Us
      3rd of Mar, 2010

Hi amelia77 are you still putting together class action lawsuit? if you are, iam in. Let me know.
    Thanks

• Ka
      1st of Apr, 2010

I would be interested I live in Nashua nh and cant cancel either kids only went to one karate class

• Co
      30th of Jun, 2010

Dear Amelia77, I am also interested in joining you in the action lawsuit, my son only went to 3 weeks clases and I paid for 2 months, I also moved 13 miles aways and they claim that is not the 25 miles stipulated in the contract that I don't have and they won't give me a copy, please let me know.

• Le
      30th of Jun, 2010

You people should've probably read the back of the contract before signing in. You let your kids quit, huh?

• Mo
      30th of Jun, 2010

I would love to take part in this claim. I'm having a lot of trouble navigating the legal paths I should consider. I made a mistake thinking that a 4 and 6-yr old would do karate for a year when we had no previous experience. I believed that the owner of the gym was messing with me when he was not willing to allow me to cancel. I can see that this is much bigger. Please include me.

The comment previous is exactly the attitude I get from the owner..."let them quit, huh?" - Hell yes, if it means getting out of dealing with a bunch of crooks and hypocrites.

13th of Jul, 2010

i agree with going after these guys. We had a 6 month contract which we allowed to run out, even though we only used 4 months. they did not let me know that they renewed my contract without my permission and they are now trying to collect for an additional 2 months.

• N0
      17th of Sep, 2010

Please let me know how I can be apart of this lawsuit.

• Bj
      30th of Nov, 2010

EFC is a cheap company who extend contracts without your written notice even though the parent contract specifies it can not be extended. The best way to deal with them is inform your financial institution (Bank and/or Credit Card) about this company and stop all future payment. Send a certified mail informing the cancellation and keep it in your records.

• Al
      19th of Mar, 2011

What's the status of this subject? I'm also a dissatisfied victim of EFC.

• Mk
      22nd of Mar, 2011

I will save you the stories they are the same as yours so I am also battling "Alan" and a bunch of other useless "account reps" completely unprofessional and a terribly run business. I would be happy to join in.

• Zu
      23rd of Mar, 2011

My granddaughter has been with the school for 3 years and now they don't want to cancel the contract. Is the class action still on going? I want to be a part of this also. I am completing a letter and have stopped the direct payments.

25th of May, 2011

I want in. My contract was up 6 months ago and they keep charging my card every month. They are even fighting my back and insisting that I have to keep paying or they will send me to collections if I close the card so they can't charge it! I just fixed my credit and can't risk that happening. Please help! My name is Matt and my email is [protected]@gmail.com If you aren't continueing with the class action suit let me know and I'll start one up.

• Le
      10th of Sep, 2011

I am definitely in!

• Ni
      30th of Apr, 2012

What happened with this? Can anyone update? Due to auto renewal, they have taken $2000 dollars from me after the original dates of the contract.

• Be
      20th of Aug, 2013

I am completely fed up with this company as well as Pak's Karate in Haughton LA

• Wb
      29th of Mar, 2014

Did anyone end up getting their money back? We're going through the same thing and may start a new law suit.

• Jb
      12th of Nov, 2014

I hate EFC. They are trying to f--k me over as well. I'm all in on a class action suit. My kid had a contract with K2 MMA - another disgrace of a company with a sleazy owner.

28th of Jul, 2015

I'm in the same situation as everyone else. They continue to want to charge my husband account and I'm not able to cancel the contact of which we haven't been to any of the classes for over a year, but still claiming to send us to collections. The person in charge doesn't speak English and laughs at the complaint. Basically saying you can try, but you won't win. I will join a class action lawsuit.

6th of Aug, 2016

I've owned a martial arts school for 28 yrs. During a nasty divorce, I was out on medical for two yrs., the ex had no ownership in the school, lied to the students and had EFC cancel or transfer my contracts to her own school. Her allegations were proven to be false and with malice in court, EFC allowed her to do this and transfer the money from my business accounts to her own separate accounts without my verbal or written permission. I had no knowledge of it until I went to withdraw bill money and was told the accounts had been close.. At the EFC seminars they teach you how to entrap clients into contracts people can't get out of and rob you blind if you try to. We are no longer with EFC, we use a different company that we love. We believe in treating people like people not dollar signs and do this because we love it not because we want to get rich. Good luck with the lawsuit, theyve had it coming for a long time!

• Em
      1st of Dec, 2018

It seems to me that many of these complaints originate with the agreement signed at the karate school.
    1. Read the whole contract before you sign it.
    2. Get a copy of the contract.
    3. Go home and REVIEW the contract again because in most states you have 3 days to cancel.

Don't blame the collection company for doing their job when it is totally your responsibility to be an informed buyer.

• Ki