Direct Readers Guild, Inc / Deception/Suspicious Company

1 Dundee, IL, United States Review updated:

I recently got a call from this supposedly magazine company at work. They were explaining to me that I had been chosen as one in that area not related to walmart, but that I could sign up for magazines and that the term is 60 months and that the payments would be just a little over #32 dollars. They said they would put in the order for my magazines, but they did not tell me rather they ordered for that month or 60 months This to me was little decieving because when I called recently they told me that I would have to pay $906 and that I could not cancel this was one thing that they did not make clear to me. The other reason I tried to cancel is that I looked up this magazine and seen from other sources that they could be a possible fraud or suspicious. In other words they were claiming that I would have to pay $906 because they NOW are telling me they prepaid 2 and a half years worth of magazines suscriptions. I felt they sould have made that clear to begin with because I feel that that was a little decieving. They also told me I have a past due balance but I have yet to see a bill notice. I dont' mind paying them for the 3 magazines they sent me but I have already cancel magazines with them individually so they will not send me any more. But Direct Readers Guild continues to say I cannot cancel which has made me conclude that they might not be a ligimate magazine company. I never know a magazine suscription that binds you to 2 and half years for $906 they seem to use good sale tactics and fancy way with words to persuade people this needs to stop.

Comments

• Pa
      23rd of Apr, 2009

I agree that something is not right...my husband is having the same problem. I think the owner's name is Lisa...that's the name she gave my husband and when I called and asked for a supervisor I got her and she said that she was the owner or something like that. I sent the info to Brian Ross for ABC Investigative News. When I called one of the magazines to see how to cancel they referred me to an 800 number that told me I had to call Direct Reader's Guild and that surely they could help me but when I called them back (and didn't id myself) and asked for the owner's name I got transfered back to her (Lisa?) again and she told me that if I called back again that she would trace the call and contact my local police and file harrassment charges. Now does that sound like something a legitimate business does?

• Co
      5th of Aug, 2009

I agree with you about this company they are not a true company, because they randomly call businesses and get employee's on the line and tell them they have been chosen to get free mag. then, send you a bill for these mags. A woman called me the other day and said that she needed the payment and, I tald her that I was told they were free with no payments. She also tried to get me to give her my Bank acct. info but, I refused.

26th of Aug, 2009

I am dealing with these people too. They called my workplace stating that they were contacting all produce managers in my company. They told me that they would offer me 6 magazine subscriptions for $3.49 A MONTH! I agreed to this and they said they'd call back in a few minutes, which they did. The next call was a different person, using all kinds of ambiguous language. After I chose my magazines, she told me that I would recieve a contract in the mail. I never recieved it. She also told me that I could cancel this at any time I wish. I called to cancel after only three months. I spoke to a woman named Lisa. I was told that it would be impossible to cancel since they already have "pre-paid" for the entire 5 years. I knew right off the bat it was B.S. because mag. subscriptions can be cancelled at any time. She then offered to cut my bill virtually in half if I would only give her my credit card number. She seemed very insistent to get my card number. I told her I would think about it (which I wasn't). She has now left several messages wanting to get my card number to "settle all of this." This company is fraudulent. I have reported them to the Attorney General's Office and I strongly recommend that each and every person who has had unfavorable experiences with this scam-artists to do the same. Also let the Better Business Bureau know about it. Let's get these people shut down so they won't infect anybody else with their poison.

26th of Aug, 2009

Oh, I forgot the major part -- it wasn't for $3.49 a month as they stated. When I got my little nifty payment booklet (becuase I refused to use a C.C.) the bill was for $30.00 a month! This is why I called to cancel. When I talked to these people, it seemed like they were using cell-phones becuase once they had to call back because they said their phone was "about to die." They also use a P.O. Box for a mailing address. These are all tell-tale signs of scammers.

• Ih
      28th of Aug, 2009

My wife was contacted at work by these people and they are now claiming they have her on tape confirming the order but she didn't confirm anything and didn't give them any payment information. What did you do to make the harrassment stop?

• Ed
      2nd of Sep, 2009

My daughter has just been caught up in this whole scam. I advised her to not pay a thing. Hope that was the right advise. Can anyone please lend some insight as to how she should proceed. I would certainly appreciate it.

• Ed
      2nd of Sep, 2009

Can anyone please advise how to cancel this subscription.

26th of Sep, 2009

I am also dealing with these scammers myself. Don't worry, folks - they are NOT a legit company and are pure scammers without a doubt! The crap they have tried to pull on me is ridiculous! They told me at first that it would only cost 3.49 a MONTH. Then after a few weeks I got this nifty little payment booklet in the mail, because I refused to give them a c.c. number or a debit card number over the phone. The payments on the bills stated 30.00 per month, and that I was somehow already late on my first payment! I called them to cancel my so-called subscription plan (and of course, they told me just like everyone else that you COULD cancel at anytime) and a woman named "Lisa" told me that I could not cancel because they were "pre-paid." After a bit of back and forth, she said I could "settle-up" and only pay for the first 2 yrs. of the so-called plan, but I could only do that if I gave her my credit card number. She seemed extremely persistent to get my c.c. number. We went back and forth for a while longer, then she said she would take 3 of the mag. subscriptions off and I would only have to pay like 18.00 per month. I told her that I would never give her my c.c. number. We continued to argue and the call ended.

The next day she called me back, at work as always, stating that she could lower my payment to 15.00 per month if I would only use my credit card. That evening, I got online and found out that MANY people have complained about this company. I called her out and told her that I knew what she was doing and I knew that she was a scammer. She got very angry and asked how I came to such a conclusion. I told her that I researched her company's name online, Direct Readers Guild Inc, and the very FIRST matches on Google are about this company being fraudulent and deceitful. After calling her out, she went on to tell me that the people who complain online are only dishonest people who are out to make them look bad. I had to laugh, of course, because she just wouldn't give it up. She continued to pry me for my c.c. number until the call ended.

The next day she called back, of course at work again. The evening prior I contacted my Attorney General and the Better Business Bureau about these scammers. I immediately told her what I had done, and boy she didn't like that one bit! We argued for a while, with her making threats about ruining my credit and having me on some mysterious "tape" that I have yet to hear. After all of this, she started back up with the scam!!! I couldn't believe it! She said that I wouldn't have to use my credit card, but if I sent in a personal check for 9.00 per month, then all would be well. I hung up the phone.

I am just glad that I haven't sent these crooks one red cent and that they don't have any of my personal information. These are crafty people, let me tell ya. There M.O. is that they will call the front desk of your business (they prey on grocery stores by the way), and ask for the name of, for instance in my case, the Produce Maganger. Once they get the name they end the call and then call back asking for that person. They then tell you that they are contacting all "Produce Managers" with a chance to get a good deal on magazine subscriptions. They do their homework, getting names of other employees to make them sound like they know the company. Beware of these people, and DON"T WORRY about them being able to hurt your credit. They are NOT a legit company and nothing will happen. What EVERY person needs to do that is having unfavorable experiences with this company is to contact your Attorney General and the BBB (Better Business Bureau). You can do this online, it is easy. Let's get the word out about these scammers.

• Ha
      16th of Nov, 2009

I HAVE A ACCT WITH THESE PEOPLE AND I LOVE MY MAGAZINES...I PAY MY BILL ON TIME AND GET TO SIT BACK AND RELAX AFTER I AM DONE PAYINY FOR THEM IF YOU PEOPLE WOULD LISTEN AND REALIZE THAT IF U JUS SAY "IM NOT INTRESTED" THEN THE CALL WOULD END RIGHT THEN AND THERE...I HAVE BEEN PAYING FOR IT FOR 6MONTHS... AND YES IT IS 30$ A MONTH BUT YOU PAY FOR YOU SERVICE IN 1/2 THE TIME...SO COME ON PEOPLE IF YOU JUS DO WHAT YOUR SUPPOSED TO AND PAY YOUR BILL THEN WOULD NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS CAUSE THEY REALLY ARE A GOOD COMPANY...

• Go
      17th of Dec, 2009

Well i am having problems with them too its a legit company with very shaddy practives they tell you one price then start charging you another.. they claim to have verbal contracts which is crap...verbal contracts wont hold up in court...especilly when they are designed to confuse you...

• Do
      22nd of Dec, 2009

I am having the same issues with this company Called Direct Readers Guild. For almost six months I have tried to cancel the unwanted subcriptions, by phone calls and written communication, THEY just won't quit. Today I received another bill for $61.00. I am sick of these people threatening me, so I will be contacting the Attorney General and the Better Business Bureau in California and their home state. These people are frauds and need to be put out of business. Dorothy Gomes

• Dr
      27th of Jan, 2010

Looks like direct readers guild got another one. They called me at work also. I work retail and it was during the holidays so I could not get all the details of the "deal". I know one thing I was not told was the fact I could not cancel this "deal". So is there really any way to get out of this, or I am just screwed out of $960?
    Antonio

• La
      6th of Dec, 2010

I work in a supermarket and was contacted by a person from direct readers guild, the store was busy that day and i could hardly hear the person. I called before getting any magazines to cancel and was told I could not cancel as I was told in the last phone call. Now I do not remember being told that I could not cancel, the person I was speaking to Lisa told me that the magazines were already paid for and I would have to pay them back. Now mind you I have paid for 2 months and now I can not pay them because I can not afford to. I have had a family emergency. Was told that I could pay half of what was owed. I know I was stupid to pay them anything just did not want this to go to collection and have a black mark beside my credit. But as I have read on here I am not the only one. They will not be getting another dime from me. On the payment booklet which i the only thing I have gotten from them my first name is spelled wrong.
    Leesa

• Sw
      22nd of Dec, 2010

Direct Reader's Guild is a scam. THey called me at work also (Produce manager) and of course like an idiot i gave my address and a phone number and hung up... two weeks later they called asking for my information again and thank GOD! i didn't give them my credit card or debit card number. I was also promised on 3.47 a month and they did record my voice saying 3.47 a month was the payment. When i got the first "bill" which also stated i was late and wanted to charge me 30.00 a month!, and i had yet to receive any magazines. I called to complain and also end this subscription, but this lady "Chris" said they would only do it if i submitted the payment. So i sent a money order to them. A few days later i called her back letting her know i sent the payment in the mail and was ready to cancel my subscription. After 30 minutes of arguing, I finally hung up. Then a month later i got a bill for 80.00 saying i was 2 months past late. I will be getting in touch with the Better Business Bureau to end this catastrophe!!!

• La
      14th of Jan, 2011

On Monday 1-10-11, I had a phone message from a Denise she was calling to discuss my account. Well she can keep calling. Also I noticed that the magazines have continued to arrive after calling everyone of them to cancel. Wonder when they(the magazines) will get the hint that they aren't getting paid. I will also be contacting the Better Business Bureau.

• Wa
      19th of Jan, 2011

the same exact thing happened to me as with all the individual above. I made the mistake of paying the full balance of my bill which was over 800 dollars. Now I am going to report them adn try to cancel this payment . I thought they were legit but a scam indeed ! beware

• Au
      10th of Mar, 2011

Ok i feel like a complete idiot!! For giving these dumb old ladies my info i thought i would be able to cancel. They too for me at a grocery store. I tried canceling they said i couldn't because they publisher was already paid for these and I'd have to make payment for 3jyears. I was like WHAT!? That's insane i was afriad that they would affect my credit so i did give my credit card number.. urgh I'm so dumb now i made a dispute with my credit card if that doesn't work ill just camel my credit card and well they can send as many magazines as they want but I'm not paying for them. I even asked them well what happens if i don't pay they said they'd take me to court for small claims. I'm a little afraid i don't want that to happen but i can't afford to pay almost. Over 2 thousand dollars that's insane! So I'm taking everyone else advise on not to worry because they are not a legitimate company. Plus they don't have my social security number so i don't think they can do much harm with out it.

• Sw
      19th of Mar, 2011

For anyone interested: They threatened me with a collections agency, when they have no payment information of mine. I called the Direct Reader's Guild to get the phone number of the collection agency, and was told it was none of my buisness. Yes, I think it is since I will have to start paying them. So i ignored the letters... one every 2 weeks... going up $200.00 every time... and they stopped. It's been over two months now and I have heard nothing from them. To this day, I still have not seen a magazine come to my house, and have not paid for one. Hopefully this nightmare is over! First they tell you only 3.47 a month, then its up to 30.00 a month, then late charges when you were never late, and then collection agencies. Give me a break! I will never ever sign up for anything ever again!

• Mc
      30th of Aug, 2011

Don't listen to these people (person)! They are full of it. Google the Uniform Commercial Code Statute of Frauds. Oral contracts cannot be enforced if they are for the sale of good over $500 and when the contract cannot be performed with in 1 year. Send back anything they send you and do NOT send them any payment.

• Am
      11th of Jun, 2012

Im going thru the same situation with this company they called me at work then they offer the magazines and besides this company likes call us at work on busy days that you cant even hear them talk. well i need this company to stop cause its a big scam and on top what kind of company tells you that you cant cancel there services. Please can someone tell me how to get rid of DIRECT READERS GUILD, INC.