The most trusted and popular consumer complaints website
Explore your opportunities! Create an account or Sign In

Credit Protection Association / False credit reporting!

1 13662 Boulder Point #101Broomfield, CO, United States Review updated:
Contact information:
Phone: 720-887-3672

For just over 4 years Credit Protection Assoc, of Dallas, TX, has maintained a report on my credit that I paid a collection to them for AT&T Broadband, at an address in southwest Denver, CO, that I never lived at. (2621 South Knox Ct.). Comcast, which bought out AT&T Broadband, has submitted a letter to the collector informing them that I never had service at that address, and that I did not have a past-due account with either cable company during the time frame alleged. I have also requested in writing proof that I paid this collection and the requested proof has been denied me on the grounds that they don't have records of paid collections. I have had the 3 major credit-reporting agencies investigate this item and all 3 have refused to remove it despite letters from Comcast. What can I do? There are 3 people in the Denver-area with the same first & last name and middle initial as I have. At the time of the alleged default I was living at 2600 South Rock Creek Parkway, Building #10 Apt #204, in Superior, CO. The complex management had joint cable, phone, and internet service with an outfit called Simcom during my residence there. This is a Boulder County address that is nearly 30 miles northwest of the Denver County address where the alleged default occurred. Credit Protection Assoc has not proved that the debt was mine despite repeated requests in writing, and has ignored contrary proof from the original account holder. I'm sure that my credit score has been negatively affected by their action, by as much as 1/2 to 3/4ths of a point on over $200K of mortgage debt, and $10K worth of credit card debt. For whatever reason they think nothing of falsely reporting erroneous information. And so far, any resolution has escaped me. I have lived since late 2001 in Broomfield, CO. This item appeared as if by magic on my credit just after I bought my current home. Despite quite a bit of effort on my part I'm still left with an erroneous item on my credit thanks to a previous mistake by Credit Protection Associates, whom attempting to work with has proven to be impossible.

Mark C. Richardson.

Sort by: UpDate | Rating


  • Je
      25th of Mar, 2008
    0 Votes

    hello - same situation here with a supposed debt for adelphia, now comcast - send them a 'cease and desist' letter - everyone should know their rights and that you DO NOT have to deal with third party collectors. sending them all 'cease and desist' letters would hopefully put them all out of business!:

    ask them for their fax number and the account number they have on file and fax the letter to them. this way you have a fax confirmation as proof. or, send with delivery confirmation return receipt. when you tell them you're going to fax a 'cease and desist' letter, they will say 'oh...' and hang up. if they contact you again after that, file a complaint with the ftc!:$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01

    the 'cease and desist' letter also addresses the fact that if they place information on your credit report you will hire an attorney and take action against them. this should result in them removing any and all information from your credit report!

    Good luck!

  • Dm
      6th of May, 2008
    0 Votes
    Credit Protections Association - fraud
    United States
    Phone: 877-332-2432

    Credit Protections Assocation (CPA) erroneously reporting information to credit bureau on a cable account that was never late or delinquent. Disputing this information through the credit bureau results in CPA confirming that the account is paid/closed but it will not remove the item from your report. CPA will tell you that you have to contact the cable company to have them submit a letter or phone call to show that your account was never late or delinquent. Cable company says they no longer own your account and depending on how old your account is they can't pull up this information. PLEASE DO NOT GIVE UP - look up the headquarters for the cable company and make every effort to get proof that you were not late or delinquent and therefore CPA should have never opened their account under your name in the first place. PLEASE DO NOT STOP THERE if this happens to you. Place a consumer complaint at: 1) the Federal Trade Commission, 877-382-4357 or and Better Business Bureau. This company should not be reporting or getting paid for erroneous information. The Federal Trade Commission will investigate if this shows to be a pattern affecting many consumers.

  • Dm
      6th of May, 2008
    0 Votes

    Same thing happened to me with Credit Protections Association. I would recommend that you don't allow CPA to get away with this run around they try and give you. First, make every effort to contact the cable companies headquarters to get proof that you were never delinquent or late on your account or that you never had an account with them in the first place. Second, place a consumer complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at 877-382-4357 or and Better Business Bureau. The FTC will complete an investigation on this company if there are numerous consumers having this same issue with this company.

  • An
      24th of Sep, 2008
    0 Votes

    i have the same thing on my credit report it clams i have past due cable bill on me i wasnt even 18 when they clam this and was told there is nothing i can do but pay it.

  • Br
      5th of Nov, 2009
    0 Votes

    I have the same on my credit report and when i called to clear it up they said they had no record of me. How does this happen? Seriously?

Post your comment