Consumer Recovery Associates / Agressive, harassing debt collection

1 2697 International Parkway # 4 Suite 270Virginia Beach, VA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-946-1358

Returned their call after they left messages on my phone and my mother in law's phone. I thought it was odd that they asked for me by my maiden name (I've been married for over three years)yet called my mother in law's home. I never lived with her, had mail sent to her home, or used her as a reference or contact under my maiden name. The man that answered my call asked for a reference number, which the caller, a Miss Harris, did not leave in either message. He then asked for the phone number they called, and I provided mine. He asked if my name was **** *****, and I told him that yes, that had been my maiden name. He did not ask for my married name, and I did not offer it. He said that he was with a collection company that was now the owner of a credit card debt that I owed to a Bank of Marin. I vaguely recognize that name -- if I owe them money, the debt has to be at least 8-10 years old. I stated that I would need to see something in writing before doing anything about it. He said that a letter was sent to me and gave a PO box address that I don't recognize (could have been one of mine, though, I've had a few.) He said that if I did not respond to that letter, they would report the debt (which he said was a little over $1100, with interest and fees) to the IRS as unreported income, and that I would have to pay fees and penalties on that amount to them. I stated again that I would have to see in writing what he was talking about. He grew audibly angry/frustrated and informed me that this had been on my credit report for a long time, and that I should have seen and cleared it up by now anyway, that he was "trying to help clear this up, " and that the "gentleman in the background" (I assume he meant the background noise from my kids and the TV) were not going to help me clear this up. He reiterated that I would have to pay the IRS "heavy fees and penalties, " then stated that he could not help me as he could not hear me (he hadn't paused long enough for me to say anything and was speaking in a very angry tone of voice) and that if PO Box ##### was not my address, he could not help me. He then hung up. He never said his name or the name of the company. I didn't see the phone number they called from, as my cell phone screen is cracked, but the number they left for me to call back was [protected]. After speaking with him, I went online and pulled my credit report from all three agencies. There is no credit card debt listed for Bank of Marin, or listed as being held by them. Nor is there any credit card debt even approaching $1100.

Cb

Comments

• Cb
      9th of Jul, 2009

UPDATE: I called them back this morning, to try to get the name of the company and the address at which to send correspondence. (I have both, because I ran down the company name/address through the Internet using their call back number, and called the office after hours -- their voice mail gives the company name as CRA, which is linked in multiple places with the company name Consumer Recovery Associates, as well as other aliases that trace back to the same company -- but I wanted to give them a chance to give it to me.) No dice. I spoke with a Richard Scott. I asked for the company name and address. After a long pause, he said my name (first and maiden, again) and I confirmed that that was me. (they must have caller idea... although my husband's cell, that I was using, is not in my name... and certainly not in my maiden name. So weird.) He asked if I was calling to make a payment, and I said that I was calling to get the name and address of the company, so that I could communicate in writing and have a written record of any business with them. He informed me that they do not take payments through the mail, and that I could pay by phone. I said that I was not willing to do that, as I believed the company, and specifically the person I spoke with yesterday, was already in violation of the FDCTPA. He then asked for my address, which I refused to give over the phone. I reiterated that I wanted to communicate in writing, so that I would have a written record, and again asked for the company name and address. He again asked for my address, and I again declined, asked for the company name and address, and asked why he could not give it to me. Mr. Scott replied, "Good-Bye, (my name)" and hung up. I will be following up with written communication to the address that I do have asking them to cease any contact of myself, my family, my job, and my associates by phone, and contact me only by mail, and asking for validation of the debt they claim that I have, as well as validation that they are, in fact, legally allowed to collect it.

• Go
      10th of Jul, 2009

I have also received harrassing voice messages from a company that only identifies themselves as CRA. My calls are coming from "Heather" who is in California, 310-868-1417. My experience is similar to yours, they are giving my maiden name and have never sent me anything in writing. I have been married for 13 years, however; and I do not have any outstanding debt from that long ago. My husband and I bought our first house 2 years after we got married, and we were very thorough in reviewing our credit reports and paying down our debt so that we could get our first home loan. I do not have any current outstanding debts or collections either.

My harrassment began about a month ago. I have no idea how they obtained my home and cell phone numbers, both are unlisted/unpublished and are under my married name. I haven't responded to them at all, since I have no idea what they are claiming and they have never sent me anything in writing. They just leave rude voice messages with a "case number", and repeat their script about it being a "time-sensitive and urgent legal matter" and say I must contact them "immediately". I went to file a complaint with my State Attorney General, but in order to process my complaint the AGO will forward a copy of the complaint to CRA -- and I do not want to divulge my married name or home address to them if they don't already have it. I don't really know what I should do, so far I've just blocked their phone number but I'm sure they will switch to a new number shortly and resume their harassing voice messages.

• La
      10th of Jul, 2009

Note... please be aware of this Fraudulant Recovery Agency that goes by CRA. They contacted me about a month ago as well, leaving a Preliminary Case number on my husband´s mobile in reference to a debt they were trying to collect from an Associates Card ??. Immediately, I called them back very concerned not being aware of this collection. Spoke to a lady who was quite hesistant to explain the reason of the collection and how it generated. She was only interested to know of my bank information, said she had to record the conversation for legal matters. Clearly I was not intrigue to this scam. However, I did check my Credit Report to make sure I had no outstanding debts; sure enough noticed NO collections nor any discrepencies link to this agency.

People do your homework, & do not tolerate any harrasment from criminal agencies like this. Always demand a Validation of Debt Letter even if you do know of an excisting debt. In most cases, CRA tends to violate The Statue Of Limitaions and if so please report them to the Federal Trade Commission . www.ftc.gov

• Bu
      8th of Aug, 2009

Do not call these people back and if you do call do not give them any information. They are trying to collect on a debt that is past the statue of limitations or one that you never even had. Report them immediatley to the ftc at www.ftc.gov also report them to the Virginia Attonrey General. Check all three of your credit reports and if this company has made an inquiry then report it as fraud. This company must be stopped and they are well on there way. There has already been a lawsuit filed against them in Arizona.

• Lo
      21st of Sep, 2009

These people somehow got my bank account information, generated a phony check number and took money out of my account. no letter no notice, nothing, This caused my account to crash and several checks to be overdrawn. I owe them nothing, yet the bank allows them to steal from my account.

• Mr
      23rd of Dec, 2009

Also check out www.budhibbs.com/collectorpages/consumer_recovery.htm There is a lot of info and tips on how to deal with these people.

• Bi
      13th of Jan, 2010

I have to disagree with everyone here, except for the harassment part...they can be a bit pushy to say the least. I also received a call from that company and even though the debt was old I STILL OWED IT. There are so many people out there that borrow money from banks and credit cards and never pay it back. Just because the origional creditor doesn't "own" the debt anymore doesn't mean you don't owe the money. To borrow money and sign an agreement to pay it back and never do so is robbery. This is one of the reasons the economy is the way it is, because of shady people trying to take advantage of the system. I'll bet if any of you loaned thousands of dollars to someone and they refused to pay it back you would be livid among other things.
    I myself did research on this company and found out that they are a legal, certified collection agency. And if you look up the definition of a 1099c it is there in black and white what it means, and unless you have a statute of limitations in your state for debt collections they are well within their rights to file it.

• Mc
      29th of Jan, 2010

I am very concerned about this organization(CRA) as their m/o is so inappropriate. They have not bothered me but I am assisting someone with a disability and they called and tried to scare her to death with very threatening language, insisting she pay money that day via phone or have her IRS return liened. This kind of harassment toward frail seniors, persons with cognitive challenges or anyone who simply does not understand their rights is unconscienable. I have spent half a day trying to figure out where I should report the info. I have(phone#, names, etc) so that it will be investigated and pursued. So far there does not seem to be enough concern from any agency with teeth. I feel like the girl in Avatar, growling in defense. Any advice?

• Ez
      14th of Feb, 2010

I would like to interview anyone who has had experiences with this company (CRA) and people who has worked for them or any other collection agency/department. Please e-mail me at woodyallenfan2004@gmail.com.

• Sy
      9th of Mar, 2010

This happen to me and somehow they got my home telephone number and my cell phone number. I had a card through Bank of Marin but it was 6 years ago. I asked this gentleman Elliot how did he get my phone number and he said that it was on file..I knew that he got my number somehow because he knew everything about me. He knew that my husband and I has a checking account with First Convenience and he knew about my husband's retirement. He also stated that he was fixing to release this paperwork to the IRS for unclaimed income. I called my bank and they stated that they do not give out their information to no third party vendor. But how did they get a hold of cell phone...

Sylinda and Kenneth Baker

• Jj
      6th of Apr, 2010

I agree that they are mean and nasty and I got hung up on 3 times while being very polite. I was trying to get information on my debt and give them my banking number in order to pay it back. I finally reached a nice representative who still interrupted me when I tried to talk but was a ton more helpful than everyone else I talked to. I have no notice of the debt that they say I owe on any of my credit reports but I do see several inquiries that that they have made. One claimed I gave them permission to do so and I have done no such thing. I am going to dispute this with Experian. I dont know how legal they are operating but I think something should be done about they operate.

7th of Apr, 2010

The 1099c that everyone is referring to is a debt forgiveness or cancellation of debt.

When the 1099-C is issued to you and to the IRS, you must claim the indicated amount as income in the year the debt was forgiven.

Once you pay the income tax on the forgiven amount, the creditor can not come after the same amount again. The debt is forgiven.

This is just a threat that rarely ever happens when it comes to credit card type debt. If they file that then they can not try to collect on it after that so it kind of defeats the purpose.

Also I think only the original creditor can file that as you did not enter into any credit agreement with a collection agency and then they could only file for the amount that they paid for the debt. In the case of CRA it is usually in the pennies per hundred of dollars and once again you do not "owe" them anyway and never did.

7th of Apr, 2010

Also the comment by Birdy is an obvious post by a CRA rep and should not even be taken seriously.

Anyone who has ever had the displeasure of having these idiots call them know better.

I had them call and tell me that I needed my attorney to review documents or else. When I asked what debt they were referring to they would not answer and just said I should know! I told them that whatever debt they were calling about was well past the statute of limitations and then they hung up on me.

If this was a valid collectible debt they would have provided info as well as not hang up as that kind of defeats the purpose of making a collections call.

I think they just make as many calls as they can and when anyone calls them on their BS they just go away. Pure scam and scare tactics for sure.

Just tell them they are in violation of the law and you are reporting them to the FTC and States Attorney General. Tell them that for each time they harass you that it costs them $1, 000 in fines and attorneys fees.

• Ki
      13th of Apr, 2010

This company is legitimately a scam...they would not provide a me the name of the company or what type of company it was. They were calling my mother non stop harrasing her. i told them that she did not speak English very well, and that when it came to matter of companies calling for her. I am the one that handles the calls cause i translate for her. the Rep said that they would not provide information regarding her"account" unless they spoke to her. I told them that WE needed to know what company it was and what it was concerning. She said she would not provide me that information. It took 5 harrasing and hang up calls for her to finally tell me the name of the company, but would not tell me what type of company it was. She then said that my mother needs to contact her attorney and that she needs to sign some documents. After that...i became enraged. I understand privacy laws but not providing the name of the company and basic info about the company sounds suspicious...SCAM to me. I have attempted to call the company back, but the phone number is disconnected. I received another call today from the same company. This time she would not let me speak, so i did not let he either. Her " supervsor" got on the phone and did not even represent himself. I told him the same thing I told her. He told me he gave my mother 1 hour to call back...i called the number and it was DISCONNECTED!!! how do i stop this...their # 8773117543

• Pa
      6th of May, 2010

I was also contacted by this company. They called my cell phone and put meon hold for 5 minutes with a continuous recording stating that I had to hold on that they had important legal information about my finances that needed to be addressed immediately Finally a Mr. Gibson got on the phone and after he said who he was I asked him what this was in referenced to and he extremely rude and arrogant like I should just shut up and listen to him. He proceeded to tell me that they had sent numerous letters to me regarding a past due account Household Finance from 2000. He had my soc # my cking account info and told me that the debt was for $1100 but it was now 2, 047.11. He said that if I didnt set up an immediate payment plan they would refer me to the IRS and I would be responsible for unclaimed income plus penalites and interest. He said that I could not be late on any of my payments otherwise they would re-report me to the credit agencies as defaul again on a debt. I checked with my atty, and my accountant - both told me that the debt was already written off on my credit report and it was past time statue of limitations for collections. Yes I might be at some point responsible for this with the IRS but my accountant figured out what it could be at it worst was like $325 - not $2, 047.11. They are theives - they buy these bad debts for lie a penny on a dollar and then strong arm people into paying back the debt with astronomical interest and penalties. They scared me so much I closed out my checking account for fear they would take money from me since they had all this information on me. I did call them back within about two hours on the same day - when I asked for Mr Gibson and his extension (877-311-7784 ext 2008) I was told he was not available and the woman asked what it was in reference to.I told her that they better not pursue this matter that I checked with my atty and my acct and that this debt is past the statue of limitations and it against the law what they are doing.

• Wi
      15th of May, 2010

Attorney General of CRA home state. File a complaint. They are currently being investigated.

Federal complaint form:

• Je
      17th of May, 2010

This company is very rude. They claim I have an unsettled debt from over ten years ago, but I do not. They repeatedly hung up on me while I was speaking and acted apalled of these occurances when I finally spoke to a normal person. I am on to their "bad cop god cop" game. I am sending them a no contact and statute of limitations order to see if they refrain from phoning me. I hope this will help.

• Im
      21st of May, 2010

I think if you owe money wether it was 10 years ago or 5 months ago you borrowed money and never repaid it, that is theft. So get some integrity and give back what you stole! It doesn't matter if a person is aggressive or not once you go through 2 or more agencies do you think they should be nice? really? People shouldn't have to chase you down for something you chose to take and not return. Stop complaining about how rude people are and listen to what they have to say. You all are being rude by talking trash about them when your the problem.

• Im
      21st of May, 2010

I am grown honey and the Transformers my SON has I PAID for them, I didn't have to borrow money to get them but if I did I would have re-paid who ever LOANED me the money. You should just get a life instead of montoring the computer. You must be one of the people who like to whine about someone being aggresive with you for not paying money you borrowed and never re-paid. So, i'll go back to making sure I pay my bills concidering I recieved money that wasn't mine. I like the feeling of knowing I paid for something it makes everything rightfully mine! Wonderful feeling. Oh and it also means i'm not contributing to this horrible economy. Maybe if people would stop taking things then we wouldnt have to worry about debt collectors at all am I right? Yeah thought so.

• Lk
      27th of May, 2010

I AM ALSO BEING CONTACTED BY THESE PEOPLE .I WAS HUNG UP ON 4 TIMES YESTERDAY BEFORE I FINALLY GOT A MR PATRICK COLEMAN ON THE PHONE. HE HAD HUNG UP ON ME ONCE AND THEN DECIDED TO TALK TO ME . HE WAS VERY CONDECENING AND TOLD ME HE WAS COMING TO THE COUNTY I LIVE IN NEXT WEEK & THAT HE WOULD SEE ME THEN. I TOLD HIM I WAS TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT THIS WAS ABOUT AND WHO C.R.A. WAS HE WOULD NOT TELL ME . I TOLD HIM I HAD MY IDENTITY STOLEN 10 YEARS AGO AND THAT IT WAS AN ONGOING PROBLEM. HE TOLD ME HE DIDN'T KNOW WHICH CREDIT CARD CO IT WAS OR THE EXACT AMOUNT THAT WAS OWED ORIGINALLY. I TOLD HIM I HAD NO IDEA WHO THIS BILL WAS OWED TO AND I HAD NOT HEARD FROM ANY CREDIT CARD CO. HE TOLD ME THEY WOULD TAKE ME TO COURT AND TURN ME IN TO THE IRS AND I WOULD HAVE TO PAY A LOT MORE. I FINALLY AGREED TO PAY IF THEY WOULD SEND ME PROOF OF THE CHARGES . I WAS LEFT WITH A PAYMENT PLAN THAT TAKES MY GROCERY MONEY, AS I AM ON DISABILITY. I CALLED BACK THE NEXT DAY TO GET AN ADDRESS TO MAIL THE PAYMENT TO AS I DO NOT WANT TO GIVE THEM ANY BANK INFO. THE MAN I TALKED TO WAS VERY RUD AND TOLD ME I WAS NOT SENDING ANY PAYMENT S TO THAT ADDRESS AND THAT I WAS GOING TO BE SORRY .HE WOULD ONLY TAKE CREDIT CARD NO ON THE PHONE AND THAT WAS THE ONLY THING HE WAS GOING TO TALK TO ME ABOUT. HE WAS VERY LOUD AND VERY ANGRY THAT I WAS QUESTIONING THE WISDOM OF THE PAYMENT PLAN. I HAVE NO ADDRESS TO SEND A LETTER TO HAVE THE CALLS STOPPED AND DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO NEXT. MY DEALINGS WITH THIS CO ARE THE SAME AS MOST OF THE OTHER POSTINGS. THIS CO NEEDS TO BE STOPPED. WHAT TO DO NEXT?