Classic Conservatory / Complete

1 Union, NJ, United States Review updated:

Classic Conservatories built an attached structure for my 18th century home in Sussex County, NJ in 2006. In February of this year, the structure suffered a complete collapse of the roof. My daughter and I barely escaped. The concussive force of air from the collapse blew her out of the back door of the kitchen.
I contacted the company by phone, email and certified mail. Their production manager came and viewed the collapse. He commented that it had never happened before this. I responded that my 18th century home still had its roof. My 19th century barn's tin roof was intact. However, my 5 year old conservatory collapsed like a house of cards under a moderate load. I added that I hoped that the company would honor its warranty. To date, the company has only passed information to its insurance company.
The contract I foolishly signed had an arbitration clause and a waiver of court claims such as consumer fraud and negligence. So, basically, the best one can do is to make the company do the minimum. In my defense, I trusted in the name of the company. When I buy a Subaru or a Sony, I know that I will receive prompt and courteous responses.
I have a preliminary engineering report which places the blame on a number of faults by the company and its installers. For one, the installers failed to follow their own architectural plans. They did not attache the structure securely to my outside wall. It leaked prior to failure by the way, like some others about which I have read.
I will keep this site up to date but suggest that anyone reading this note to go to their building inspectors and have their plans and the construction reviewed. Ask to have the company cited by your municipality and post the results. I have other legal and public responses planned. If I find a way around the arbitration waiver, I will let this site know.

Comments

• Ms
      25th of May, 2011

my sunroom was built by Classic in 2003, nothing but trouble with these folks. I will say that I knew that running the heater this winter in order to prevent the ice jam was an absolute must.

• Cl
      28th of Jun, 2011

Classic is the worst. The have now lost their BBB accrediation due to failure to honor arbitration.

• Ms
      28th of Jun, 2011

Thanks Classic is Awful:
    I had wondered about their BBB rating.

• Pr
      22nd of Aug, 2011

This Business is not BBB Accredited
    Classic Conservatories

Phone: (888) 863-6700Fax: (908) 389-0955
    (908) 389-0955View Additional Phone Numbers1767 US Highway 22, Union, NJ 07083http://www.classicconservatories.com
    Classic Conservatories BBB® Accredited Business Seal
    BBB® Non-Accredited F Rating
    On a scale of A+ to F Reason for RatingBBB Ratings System Overview
    SharePrint
    BBB Accreditation

On 05/24/2011 this company's accreditation in BBB was revoked by BBB's Board of Directors due to failure to honor an arbitrator's decision despite agreeing to do so.

Businesses are under no obligation to seek BBB accreditation, and some businesses are not accredited because they have not sought BBB accreditation.

To be accredited by BBB, a business must apply for accreditation and BBB must determine that the business meets BBB accreditation standards, which include a commitment to make a good faith effort to resolve any consumer complaints. BBB Accredited Businesses must pay a fee for accreditation review/monitoring and for support of BBB services to the public.
    Reason for Rating

BBB rating is based on 16 factors. Get the details about the factors considered.

Factors that lowered Classic Conservatories' rating include:

Failure to comply with arbitration decision or mediated settlement.
    18 complaints filed against business
    Failure to respond to one complaint filed against business.
    One complaint filed against business that was not resolved.
    BBB Accreditation was revoked because the business failed to honor its accreditation agreement with BBB.

• Cl
      5th of Sep, 2011

The new ompany is Total Remodeling, same address, same owner (Chris Edwards)...be very careful about oding business with them...they have 4-5 legal entities. I guess they just close one up after the complaints get too much.

29th of Sep, 2011

Thank you all for your comments. I too have a leaky roof on my 2006 conservatory and I just learned that they "Classic Conservatories" is out of business and won't honor their 10 year warrenty. I also learned that the new company "Total Remodeling" builds conservatories now with a 2 year warrenty.

• Ed
      27th of Feb, 2013

After a rain storm last night (02-27-13), I discovered that water was coming through the exterior wall and flooding my interior floor. I contacted Classic Conservatories in NJ--800-435-1188, who informed me that Classic Conservatory is no longer in business and that they will not honor any warranty work. Also, Total Remodeling (aka Classic Conservatories) will not do any work in the state of Maryland. I feel totally victimized and scammed.

• Al
      12th of Aug, 2013

Just reading this is pretty upsetting. Had mine built in 2000. yes I leak issues and at times still. I do the repair my self so far. Didn't know there out of business. had many problems with the construction. Mine was built with a T foundation which they tried to get out of doing. Now I was just looking at how to repair a lock issue with the handle which doesn't really spring back. Happened to see this report and it's sad. The vinyl expands and contracts so much that in the winter have a hard time locking the door. Don't want to keep adjusting it.

• Ka
      7th of Jul, 2018

@Alex Scarselli Can you tell me how you adjust your doors? I need to adjust mine and have no idea how to do that!

• Sk
      15th of Jan, 2014

I live in central NJ not far from that horrible company that built my POS $30, 000 sunroom in 1997..Have fought with them for years and got nowhere..Cracks and holes in Polycarbonate roof began appearing only a few yrs after construction..Gutter fell down in 1st snow fall in 1998..The roof vents leak..The pieces of plastic that hold the roof together, fell off and are in a bucket in my garage..It leaks inside all the windows, so my nice wood sills are ruined as well as the wood and walls behind the wood that are now bulging inward and black from being soaked all the time..You can't deal with those people..I was planning a lawsuit, but due to other serious issues in my life, I did not.. This winter, window and glass door have condensation between the glass..Seals have let loose..Windows never stayed open when opened wide..Always had to place a strong object to hold them.. It gets to be over 100 degrees in there in summer and just as cold as outside in winter.. I have made a tentative decision to have someone tear it all down..I will need to replace siding on my home and would like to build a deck off the kitchen which is what I had before the horendous room was built..There should be a Class Action Suit against this Owner, since now I see Classic is no longer in business but now called Total Remodeling..Same owner, Chris Edwards..He is the one responsible and we all should go after..I'm willing..Anybody else want to do a Class Action Lawsuit? I"m @ Scorpiosweb@aol.com Let me know.. Joanie

4th of Jun, 2014

This upsets me so much. I dealt with this company from 4/09-6/11. It was a total nightmare. Construction sub-par and corners cut. I've had to redo several things two or more times to get it right. As far as the sun room goes, so far so good but after reading other owners problems I feel like I'm sitting in a time bomb.

• St
      15th of Aug, 2014

I can echo all of the above comments and complaints. Has anyone found an option to replace the polycarbonate roof with more permanent materials? Has anyone sought architectural advice on replacing the roof, which seems to be the most unreliable feature of the room? Please advise.

• St
      10th of Jun, 2017

@Stone Hill Hi, have you found an option to replace the roof. I am in need of a replacement also.

14th of Nov, 2017

We have had all of the same concerns as others have posted. This summer we had hail damage to the polycarbonate roof to add to the several areas of leakage, falling apart gutters, and over working heating, cooling system to keep room temperature stabilized. We have had many contractors come out to look at damage and no one wants to replace roof as they are concerned about the integrity of the rest of the structure. We are debating having the room replaced, but feel so ripped off like the rest of you. I wish that we had done a regular room addition, not much more expensive at the time. It is a shame that the builder is still out there and takes no responsibility for his actions.

• Ei
      28th of Sep, 2018

Help
    I had Classic build my conservatory in 2003. The past year I have had to replace some of the windows due to moisture between the glass panes. Now my rooftop windows are leaking. I can't find anyone who is willing to repair it. I live on Long Island NY. Please help if you know who I can get to fix my problem