Choice Home Warranty / deceitful contracts

1 244 Madison Ave. NY, NY 10016New York, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 888-531-5403

Why is a Choice Home Warranty a bad mistake? Because the ony way you can even hope they will honor what they profess to cover is to spend several hundred dollars more each year in addition to their contract fee or $450-500.

Like so many others I recently learned the hard way. They glibly refer to section 9.1.2 in their contract and this is the loophole they use to avoid having to fix or replace anything. Briefly, you must have professional service people come in yearly to perform "maintenance" for each appliance or system in your home, and you had better keep those bills for 5 years or they will not honor the contract. Heck, the IRS only asks for three years of records! Assuming a home had a heating system, AC, a hot water heater, appliances, etc., you are being forced to spend money on each one of these items. That can add up to $500, $600, $700 per year in addition to their fee. So now that contract is truly costing you$950-$1150 per year. If you were to simply put that money in a savings account for two years you would have more than enough to pay for a new system for almost anything that breaks in your house.

So, bottom line, how does a Choice Home Warranty make economic sense? IT DOESN'T.

Oh, one other item. My problem was a hot water heater that started to leak. I had been with American Home Shield for three years, as was my neighbor. He had a similar problem last year and they came in and gave him a brand new water heater. My mistake was that I decided to switch over to Choice and they denied my claim. I will NEVER buy another one of these contracts from Choice and neither should anyone else. Put them out of business.

Comments

• Jj
      9th of Apr, 2009

Put them out of business. That is exactly what I hope to do. Please join my group. I have sent you an invite.

• Sf
      10th of Apr, 2009

Have had Choice Home Warranty for 6 months and have tried to file my first claim. My dishwasher wasnt working properly. The service tech they had me call didnt even have a contract with them. I guess they talked them into it because they did end up coming out and servicing the unit. Now the company is waiting for authorization to complete the project. The parts cost $115.97 and the company can not get in touch with Choice Home Warranty to get authoriztion. I have already paid over $275 to them for a Warranty that doesnt seem to exist. The company has been closed for two days now, hope they decide to reopen so that I can let them know to cancel my contract and refund my money. I would rather pay the company for the parts than Choice Home Warranty.