[Resolved] Charles Duggan Lettings

Posted: Sep 13, 2013 by

unagreed extra charges

CHARLES DUGGAN LETTINGS
Croydon England Surrey, United Kingdom
I hired this letting agent to rent my property out and dealt with Rob. He was referred to me by a trusted source. Very pleasant to deal with before a tenant was found but in the end he deceived me and withheld unagreed charges from tenant's first payment. I've given him enough opportunity(4 months) to return the dues before now.

Unlike any other agent I appointed, Rob did not get me to sign a terms of business. I asked for this document a number of times so everything was agreed in writing but never got it(now I know why). We agreed to a set fee for an introduction only let, no extras to pay - I was to do my own tenancy contract, inventory, tenant check in etc and I confirmed this a few times along the way even before accepting the tenant.

I handed the keys over to the tenant before I got the dues in my bank. When I got them they seemed to be less than I expected. I had to chase Rob for the breakdown and it took him a month to email me the 'breakdown of charges' document(due to his understandable personal circumstances at the time I should add). Straight away, I disputed the extra 'setup and admin' charge that was never mentioned and never agreed to. The first time I found out about this charge was in this document. I have chased Rob since and 3 months now but no agreement for a refund.

There were couple of other issues too. Rob miscommunicated and had me remove the (heavy!) washing machine only to find out later that the tenant never asked for that so I had to drag it back and reinstall it. Also, a couple of days after checking in the tenant and making sure everything was ok, I got a weird text from Rob saying he was disappointed with me that the tenant is unhappy(!). I left the tenant happy for sure, we have a very cordial relationship and they've got my contact anyway in case of any issues so Rob's text was surprising and even the tenant was taken aback.

Basically, I want Rob to return the extra bogus charges or more if I have to struggle further.

Oh yea, lately Rob threatened me that he will speak to his solicitors if I take this any further action!

Resolution statement

Charles Duggan Lettings Customer Care's Response, May 24, 2017
Mac man your in a bit of trouble mate
Complaint comments Comments (32) Complaint country United Kingdom Complaint category Real Estate

Comments

A  26th of Jan, 2017 by    0 Votes
hi
your not the only one. he has STOLEN MY NEW TENANTS 6 weeks deposit and first months rent that was due to me. he never picks up the phone and is a liar and a fraud. i will be taking him to court.
N  11th of Mar, 2017 by    +2 Votes
@adnankhawaja He did the same to my tenant and to my. Can we all join efforts to find where Rob is and to get some assets from him?
N  18th of Jun, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Mr H Johnston Hi I Would you like to join efforts please contact me.
N  12th of Apr, 2017 by    0 Votes
Rob, has not paid addtional rent owed to me, have been asking for it for weeks now
N  4th of May, 2017 by    0 Votes
I have Home address if needed
N  12th of May, 2017 by    +1 Votes
Home address for Rob Duggan: [address removed]
A  22nd of May, 2017 by    0 Votes
We rented a property through Rob / Robert Charles Duggan of South Croydon / Caterham; having interviewed three different estate agents, Rob came across as the most warm, friendliest agent, one that I wanted to do business with. Unfortunately I have learnt a hard lesson. Do not trust this man. Whilst I continued to think he was such a 'nice' man throughout our time with him as our agent he often paid late, had one family emergency after another and was lax on the paperwork. Whilst every time he spoke to you he'd say how great the business was going, how he had this investor and that investor, a new website, was moving shop this was clearly not the case; or maybe it was and that's where our money has gone. Not only did Rob not pay us two months rent from the tenants, he took the fee for our landlord licence and didn't pay it to the council . He took a double deposit from our tenants, telling them we'd agreed it because they had a lack of references and were in not so well paid jobs; being foreign nationals new to the UK they were unaware that this was unusual and were completely taken advantage of. Needless to say they got no paperwork to show any proof that they'd paid an additional deposit. Don't be duped.
N  24th of May, 2017 by    0 Votes
Stupid Question, but has anyone been paid by Rob Duggan?
N  15th of Jun, 2017 by    0 Votes
@macman1 Macman1 don't let him scare you with your in a bit of trouble he seems to like to threaten people. I don't particularly want him knowing what we are discussing any further so please email me if you have anymore info and likewise I am share my findings with you also.
@Kelsamnel No problem
N  7th of Jun, 2017 by    +1 Votes
Hi, his address: Rob Duggan/Matthew Higgins - Jody Higgins, [removed]

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jody.higgins.16
@Matthew Higgins Thank you 😊
N  7th of Jun, 2017 by    +1 Votes
his facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100015756303720 he changed the name, Robert Jones now :-)
@Matthew Higgins πŸ‘
N  16th of Jun, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Kelsamnel πŸ˜‚
A  14th of Jun, 2017 by    0 Votes
Unfortunately I have also experience this fraudster, he has failed to return my tenants deposit of 6 weeks and rent money paid by them. He appears to move around the country and set up shop after shop repeating the process of gaining your trust then dissolves his company changes his number and steals tenants deposit money which of course laMelodramatic are then liable for. What's most infuriating is it seems he has been getting away with it for years, he seems to know the police are not interested as its a civil case. a friend of mine also used him and he has kept a months rent and their tenants deposit also. I have pictures of him to report him to Rogue traders but before they will entertain such a case they need a few people to complain about him. Please can you all report him as I will be doing so. His girlfriend Jody Higgins claims she knows nothing - really he has been doing it for years and she knows nothing? when I contacted her on Facebook now under e name 'Jo Dy' she said she was not interested. Well it's a bit more difficult for him to get away with now he has children and family ties to Croydon so the net is closing in. I named and shamed him on Facebook and he had the cheek to report me to the police,
I have not committed a criminal offence but was asked not to share his address on Facebook as Rob was concerned for the safety of his children. I think rather the case that people obtain his address to actually then be able to take civil action. I believe he may have plans of setting up another shop in Colchester next. My family and friends continue to wish to inform people of this con-artist via social media as it is their right to do so who am I stop them, it seems although the police are aware he is still trading from home and continuing to steal money it is not within the realm to do anything. Therefore civil action, trading standards and Rogue traders seems the way to go and obviously making people aware.
N  15th of Jun, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Kelsamnel Kelly before you keep posting stuff on the internet you really need to get your facts straight! I have dealt with all issues and concerns but you seem to be the only one who keeps making stuff up and harassing me and my family!! I will have to report you to the police again... and again Charles Duggan Estates is not trading! And let me explain Charles Duggan Lettings was what the company first started as a sole trader I then wanted to go Ltd so I was going to call the company Charles Duggan international I then decided not to go with that and called the company Charles Duggan Estates that's why there was a name change on companies house.

Don't lie and say that I smugly said the police won't do anything that it is a civil matter! ( please post evidence of me saying this )

Like I have always said my partner Jody has nothing to do with the business whatsoever so please stop saying she has.

And you seem to think that your slander will go unreported if there is anymore I will speak to the police officer that has already spoken to you once!!!
N  15th of Jun, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Kelsamnel I am going to report this to the police again Kelly because this is totally untrue and slander again!!!
N  15th of Jun, 2017 by    +1 Votes
@unhappyman2012 Yes Rob we are all wrong are we? This is a legitimate complaints site I've not contacted you so it's not harassment. The only only one that seems to tell lies is you so report what you like. And since your so interested in giving the history about your company how about you explain actually where is my tenants deposit and the withheld rent that you have withheld not just of mine but all the other people you have done this too. There is a difference in a business in trouble and taking money that's not yours! You say your trying to sort it out but have told so many lies I've got evidence of you saying it will be paid by the close of business etc etc and still no money received! So don't expect anyone on here to believe you! Also refusing to return calls and changing you number is hardly showing your wanting to sort it out is it. You have threatened me with renewal fees for the company Charles Duggan Lettings last month yet you were supposedly not trading still. I've got all the messages to prove it, or is that why you have changed your number?
N  15th of Jun, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Kelsamnel Changed my number what are you going on about Kelly my number has always been the same and has never changed
N  15th of Jun, 2017 by    0 Votes
@unhappyman2012 Oh sorry maybe my tenants got that wrong then when they said they tried to contact you to kindly ask yet again where their deposit is, since it's still not been returned. They seemed to think that they had to call Jody in order for her to call yin to them call them back. As I've not tried to personally Contact you I'm going by what other people have informed me as sadly I was unable to confirm to my tenants that still looked money had been returned. Lots of unhappy people.
N  20th of Jun, 2017 by    0 Votes
@unhappyman2012 Can you please give your number then Rob, as when we've tried to contact you on multiple occasions you've hung up on us and then the number has become disconnected?
N  21st of Jun, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Zoe1234 I have never changed my number Zoe it is the same as it has always been.
N  15th of Jun, 2017 by    +1 Votes
Started civill action recently.
N  15th of Jun, 2017 by    +1 Votes
I think he may have a rental property in Caterham so that maybe an asset.
N  15th of Jun, 2017 by    +1 Votes
Rob had this property to rent 17 Gwynne Road, Caterham, CR3 5FH, and land registry had this as a property he possibly owns.
N  15th of Jun, 2017 by    0 Votes
@macman1 He seems to have been doing this for years and is aware that people are going to start taking civil action so wouldn't surprise me if he is having money paid into his girlfriend Jody Higgins account. Seems very odd he would ask my tenants to pay last months rent into a different account. Not sure if there is a way with the account number and sort code to find out who the named account holder is?I know he drives a flash BMW X but apparently said it's on finance when I told him to sell his flash car and pay back my money that he has stolen. I'd be surprised if he owns a house in his name as he seems to know that any assets tied to him will possibly be taken, please let me know if you do find anything further out. As soon as I told him I was going to report him to the police he was very smug and said it's a civil matter. The house he is in now is rented I don't think he can get a mortgage because he has done this type of thing before, also renting makes it easier to move in doesn't it. I wouldn't be surprised if he is looking for else where to live now as so many people are now starting legal action that have his current address. I just hope his papers get served before he does another runner. Although not so easy to totally remove himself from the Croydon area when his children's grandparents live in Forestdale. I wonder if they know how many people he has stolen from hopefully the poster shared on Facebook to inform landlords and tenants has revealed to his family and friends that he is not the successful honest business man he parades around pretending to be but rather the fraudster that he really is. I am disgusted that he has seems to have been able to get away with doing to people for so long... Charles Duggan Lettings, Charles Duggan Estates, Charles Duggan International and so on😑😑
N  15th of Jun, 2017 by    -3 Votes
@Kelsamnel Colchester??? What the hell are you on about? I have no intention of moving Kelly as I am dealing with what has gone wrong with the business!
N  20th of Jun, 2017 by    0 Votes
@macman1 Not sure if you're able to help, but do you know if it's financially worth taking civil action if he owes £2000?
Thanks.
N  16th of Jun, 2017 by    +1 Votes
Rob - I hope you will deal with the issues and concerns as so far we've not seen a penny.
N  30th of Jun, 2017 by    0 Votes
Hi guys, I would like to prepare a youtube video about fraudman Rob and fraudwoman Joddy to inform the people what people they are. Does anybody want to help me ?
N  11th of Jul, 2017 by    +1 Votes
Rob's new company: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/thqxVMaXetw3ZMurr2zo7K49vFQ/appointments

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree