Carmax / LIES & SCAMS!

1 2700 Farmers Drive Columbus, OH, United States Review updated:

CarMax is horrible, horrible, horrible! They lied to me and treated me very rudely.

Recently, my 5-year old truck broke down. It needed major engine repair. Instead of fixing it, I decided to sell it and buy a newer truck. I called CarMax and spoke to a salesman.

I told him that my truck was not running. I explained the mechanical problems in detail. He said that it was not a problem. He said I would get less money for the trade-in, since it was not running, but that "we are definately still interested in buying it." His exact words.

I made an appointment to have my truck appraised. I paid to have the truck towed from the repair shop to CarMax. When I got there the salesman was nowhere to be found. I was "greeted" by a very grouchy woman who seemed annoyed with life in general and me in particular. I was made to wait about 40 minutes past my "appointment" time before a salesman even talked to me. There were no other customers so I don't know what took so long.

After the appraisal, the salesman informed me they would offer me $50 for my truck. That is correct. Fifty dollars. For a 5-year old truck that is perfect except for the engine problem that can be fixed for a few hundred dollars. I saw similar trucks for sale on their lot for $6000 and up. Some even older than mine.

Needless to say, I was outraged. I was expecting at least $500 to $1000 for the trade in. I tried to tell the salesman how ridiculous the offer of $50 was and he got angry and practically yelled at me.

I did not sell my truck to them or buy a new one from them. I do not recommend CarMax to anyone. They were rude, grouchy and they outright lied to me. A complete waste of time and money.

Comments

• Wh
      2nd of Oct, 2009

Ok then, sell the truck on your own for $500 and then go buy a truck at a local dealership that has a $500 document fee attached to the price of the car your buying. That makes sense right? Hey, your neighbor is knocking on your front door. He wants his money back on that truck you sold him b/c the transmission went bad. Good luck Rocket Scientist Chris!

• Li
      25th of May, 2010

I'm wondering where the lie is - they still offered to buy the vehicle, so that's still true. They did mention the offer would be low because it wasn't running, so there's no lie there. Maybe I'm missing something.

Shame on them for not buying a broken vehicle for the same price you were expecting to get for a running one!