Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center / Unprofessional staff-unreasonable wait for care

Brooklyn, NY, US Review updated:

yesterday 8am, my mother had an appt with the neurosurgeon at Brookdale. upon exiting the bus, she fell and hurt her foot. she went to the dr's staff and told them what happened. they told her if she goes to the emergency room, she would miss her appt. she decided to see her dr and when she did he sent her to the ER at 1145. she had an xray which confirmed a chipped bone in her left foot and a dr would splint it for her. she saw dr. gaines at 730 pm. why did it take so long for someone to help her? she is on seizure medication and did not have it with her since she didn't expect to spend 8 hrs in ER. She did not eat, nor go to the bathroom because she was afraid to miss the dr. when she asked nurse Estes what was taking so long, the nurse replied, "if you don't like it-leave!"

Comments

• Iv
      Aug 09, 2010

When I was sick, with a fever and an UTI, I went to Brookdale hospital. Their services are awful. They poked me up 13 times to look for a vain. They let antibiotics swell up in my vains, when I press the nurse button, they would come 30 minutes after. And now there is an ACS case on something thats already dealt with. They try to put me in counseling. They try to convince me too many times after I said I was fine and dont need any of that. I was there for a whole week and some days and they havent gave me my shower supplies until the 5th day. Then they tell me to wash with hand soap. What type of hospital does that. I never been too a hospital for more that 24 hrs. But that was Hell. I feel Brookldale hospital should go down for one of the worst hospitals in Brooklyn. They cause too many problems. I mean, when a patient tells you how they feel about something, you should take that and run with it, not try to put matters in your own hands. Especially something that is more than 5 years old of situation. Im trying to sue as we speak.

• Ci
      Feb 25, 2011

my mother went in having seizures and she already had a stroke 1 yr before so she was paralyzed from her left side i used to take care of her. her right side worked perfectly so they put a breathing machine on her bcuz she was having too many seizures back too back. so they kept putting her too sleep so that she wouldn't pull the tube out they didn't say anything about anything just that she was having seizures. they left her in the emergency room for 3 days before they put her in her own room! after like the 2 day my mom still wasnt awake mean while when she went in the hospital she was moving talking and everything. so i asked the doctor are you still putting my mom to sleep he said no shes like that on her own, i told him how can that be possible if before ya put her too sleep she was fine just having seizures he said they dont no thats why they stopped putting her too sleep . after 5 days the doctors said she was gonna die. that same day we went home and my father felt he didnt have a reason to live if she was gonna die so he killed himself. that was devastating finding ur father dead! The next day my beautiful mommy died while we were visiting her. my dad oscar 11-1-10 and my mom Ana 11-2-10 that was the worst time in my life! it destroyed my life being 16 pregnant with no mom or no dad trying to figure out what ima do with my life after this tragedy i left school and everything i really need help getting my life together they was the only was who kept me good never needing anything but now im suffering so much :( it hurts me everyday and i cry everyday i dont even sleep a good night of sleep .i dont ever want this to happen to anyone . my parents are my heros they left behind a big family a beautiful family that they created of 14 children and 45 grandchildren and its all because of that stupid freaking hospital with all those mean nurses who dont even treat people the way they should!!! i hate that hospital! IT DESTROYED MY LIFEEEE!!!

Apr 14, 2011

My Mom was sent to Brookdale University Medical Center by the Emergency Medical Paramedic two weeks ago after she fell off the bed. She was supposed to go to NYU hospital to do her kidney access and diagnosis procedure the after she fell. The Emergency Medical Paramedic refused to send her to NYU hospital but the closest hospital, which is the Brookdale hospital also named Killerdale hospital according to some nurse aids. It was the biggest mistake that we let the Paramedic take her to Brookdale. The first day she was admitted to Brookdale Intensive Care Unit, they insert a breathing tube into her lung stating that she had problem breathing. When I visited her late that day especially her neck, she was all swollen up because they gave her too much fluids knowing that she had Chest Congestive Failure and Kidney Failure. She was given all sort of tests in which she might not need, and they did not inform us of her critical conditions unless we asked for the doctors who were on duty. While I asked the Dr. Debast what happened to my Mom and why her body and neck were so swollen, she said that she will check it out but never came back with an answer. Instead, she handed me the pink slip to give up on my Mom by taking away her medication. I was surprisely shocked, thus I determined to work with her NYU specialist to get her out the hell hole. After transferring my Mom to NYU, I was told that the extra fluids were actually drowning her multipla weak organs such as heart, liver and kidney. She also got a serious Ammonia from Brookdale and could not fight it off with the strongest Antibotics dosage given to her. She finally passed away five days at NYU hospital. The doctors and nurses at Brookdale are so unprofessional, unresponsive, irresponsible, and lack of experiences to take care of special critical ill patients. Mayor Bloomberg should seriously invested the competency of Brookdale hospital staff in Brooklyn. I suggest that this Killerdale hospital should be shut down immediately before more innocent people die due to improper health care services are provided to them. Remember, please keep a note/signed letter in your wallet or with your family stating that you request to go to your preferred hospital in case of emergency. This can save your life and could have saved my Mom's life. I would like to send this message to my loving Mom who nows rests in peace in the Kingdom of God. Thank you for listening.

• St
      Apr 21, 2011

i went to the emergency room 2 days ago for spotting and cramping while pregnant.i arrived and checked in at 11 am, and was finally called at 4pm. the ob/gyn Dr Samantha Brown was very rude and unsympathethic not only towards me but to other patients.She was rough with the internal sonogram and since she had no explanation as to why i could be bleeding she ordered a blood test and a urine analasys, i also told her i was asthmatic and had no meds would there be any way i could get prescribed a pump she said yes and sent me back to the e.r waiting room as i waited for 4 more hours (i randomly kept checking to see what was taking so long since i had to pick up my son, and she kept telling me any minute now)i was waiting for the results of the blood/urine test to make sure my baby was fine, also for the prescription. Well 8:30 i was furious and left the e.r to go pick up my kid and check on my elderly grandma and came back an hour later, i was still not called.They changed shifts and i had to deal with another rude Dr that held me off for these results for another 45 minutes, then i was finally called only to find out the blood/urine samples were never sent to the lab and i waited for no reason, she said they threw it away or lost it, by this time i was beyond infuriated as you can't just dispose of these samples normally, but they convinced me to take yet another blood drawing and urine sample, the nurse this time appeared to not know what she was doing and hurt me while drawing blood from the same arm, all the while she did this in the waiting room while patients having asthma attacks were being ignored, now back to the waiting game 11:00 finally results, all was well with my baby but i had to literally beg for the prescription since the previous Dr obviously did not make a mention of me.If you have an emergency please do not go to this hospital the staff could care less about you and are very unproffesional.rude and its a dingy miserable place

• Ki
      Aug 20, 2012

I encountered a sonogram technician by the name of Ms. Williams at Brookdale Hospital. Not only was she rude and uncaring, but she treats patients like they are beneath her. I asked her several questions since this was my first sonogram. She completely ignored me. I asked her to repeat something she mumbled. She got frustrated and shouted, "What did I say!?!" I am gonna change hospitals because of the negative reviews of this hospital and my treatment there. I filed a complaint with the manager for that area and I am awaiting a response. That woman should not be around expectant mothers. She makes sarcastic remarks to treat people like crap. Why is she even employed as a sonogram technician?!!! I regret not telling her off when i had the chance to!

• Re
      Sep 19, 2015

My husband came at 11:00pm Sept 19, 2015 due to pains in his body from a shock he got at work he came in the emergency room we been sitting in the waiting area for 5 hours and no one has helped us yet and is 4:35am

Dec 03, 2015

To Whom it May Concerned:
    I am exhausting all options to file complaints against the quality of care at Brookdale Hospital. PLEASE READ this in it's entirety and Please pass this on if I have the wrong department, also Please email me back that someone has received this complaint and will at least look into the statements made in this e-mail. The last problem started with my aunts transfer from Schulman & Schachne Institute were she was to receive rehab for two broken legs and a broken arm. My aunt is totally blind and in her normal state of blindness becomes disoriented. The rehab center did not contact her proxy on file about the transfer at 3:45am, I happened to find out when I went to visit her and her bed was empty and stripped down. I called her daughter at 12:30pm hours after the transfer happened.
    She was transferred to Brookdale Hospital. Her hospital roommate informed me that my aunt signed two papers and she was not read what she was signing. Again my aunt is totally Blind and was taking strong pain medications which were causing in and out hallucinations. The doctor stated she did respond to questions which he concluded her to understand what she was signing. Keep in mind still no family members knew of her transfer. In her records it states daughter is proxy please notify daughter of any medical chances and decisions, she needed to be there to assist her mom in making an informed decision.
    In the evening I notified the nurse my aunt was severally bleeding. She had already lost a great deal of bleed early that day and needed a transfusion, and I knew this was serious. Since Nurse Daley and Nurse Collins stationed on the 9th floor at Brookdale Hospital did not like my delivery or call for help they took a long time to assist my aunt. I documented the time, took pictures and called 911 to have some documentation of what I was witnessing. 911 stayed on the phone with me and I gave them detailed information on my aunts condition and the nurses were not happy with what I was doing to document the situation.

Please look into all the statements made above for the next patient that has nobody to write an email to agencies that will hear their complaints. The situation was serious she is now in ICU.

[protected]@aol.com

• Er
      Mar 09, 2016

Atrocious phone service!Put me on hold forever!I had to call several times.All I needed to know was if a friend of my mom's was a patient there.Horrendous lack of service and the receptionist was a complete

Apr 16, 2018

Worst hospital they don’t care about your health at all.
    SHUT THIS HOSPITAL DOWN..

Apr 16, 2018

Went to brookdale for chest pain they had me waiting for hours no ekg no chest X-rays very unprofessional.

• Ka
      Aug 09, 2019

• Ka
      Aug 10, 2019

There is a STUPID security personnel maned Steele who stops me from doing official work and this this stupid security even tried restrain me from entering the building by blocking the door, I complained to her supervisor-who was even more STUPIDER than her, I gave up because it was a waste of TIME. I have a dreaded feeling even to enter this hospital BUT I have to come to work on a triweekly basis--I don't want to be questioned by in a nauseating fashion this security in future..