[Resolved] BooksRun / textbook buyback - scam!!!

I quoted six nursing books which totaled $90. Pretty low considering most books are $200 each, but it was better than nothing. I packaged them up after reading about the books they accept and what they don't accept and sent them off. They never emailed me to let me know they were received so I sat here waiting for any kind of response. I finally logged in on the website to see that almost all of the books were on hold. Now, there was a book that had water damage and I knew that was a long shot but it was going to go to charity anyways so I sent it. No big deal that they didn't want to give me anything for it. Now, the other two books that were in good condition with very, very minimal writing (Maybe a small note here and there, you would literally need to go through each page to even find them) they quoted $46 and $10 and upon receiving decided they weren't giving me anything. Even though if you read the books they take it states they do not accept "writing and markings (Unless on a very few pages or very slight) or highlighting on many pages". So what they actually mean is any writing at all on any page. So they screw you over when they get the books. No big deal, you can have them sent back right? Yeah, if you want to pay $20 in return shipping. This company is such a ripoff. They steal your books that they are going to turn around and sell for $50 and there is nothing you can do about it. I have used multiple other sites that buy back books and I have never had an experience like this. So I sent them six books and they are going to be nice enough to only pay me $30. How kind. If I could file a report I would. What an awful business.

• Resolution statement

• BooksRun Customer Care's Response, Jul 19, 2017

Dear Cory, we are very sorry to hear that you had such a negative experience. We looked deeply into the matter, and it appears that we received one book with water damage (as you state in your review) and two workbooks with markings inside. Due to this damage the items, unfortunately, were not eligible for our buyback program (please see our Terms & Conditions — we do not accept textbooks with any water damage and workbooks with any markings). We also understand how frustrating it is to pay for shipping of the item back, but please try to understand our policy on this matter. We provide prepaid labels for all our buyback orders and lose significant amount on shipping and handling. The return shipping fee of $8.95 for the first book and $5.99 for each item thereafter includes: 1) shipping from customer's address to our processing facility; 2) shipping from the processing facility to the customer's address; 3) handling; 4) packaging. Our policy on returns is also stated in our Terms & Conditions. Our Customer Support Team has also reached out promptly via email shortly after receiving this complaint to provide the solution and make up for any inconvenience caused. Respectfully, BooksRun Team

Ia
May 1, 2017

Comments

• Er
      9th of Jan, 2019

I have had a similar experience, but contrary to the above comments by the company, they claim they will accept the water damage (even though above says they will not accept any water damage). The photo they attached is a blurry photo of 1 page and they would like to cut my return in half.