Boingo / can't get through to customer service

After months of trying to figure out what this charge was that kept coming up on my bank statement, I finally realized it was the Boingo subscription that I allowed my son to get when he was traveling. Now, I did not realize this was a subscription but that's what I get for letting him do something without being there to see it.

I called the 800 number listed on my bank statement, that is also the one listed on the Boingo.com website. After one ring it tells me that the extension I have dialed is not answering and to press 0 for an operator. So I press 0 for the operator and get looped back to the message that the extension I am calling does not answer.

I tried going to the website to cancel and couldn't remember the stupid username and password that he had set it up under. So I emailed customer support who told me:

We are sorry to hear that you wish to close your Boingo account. If there’s anything we can do to change your mind, please let us know.

As a security measure, we do not process cancellation requests via email. Also, we were unable to locate a Boingo laptop account associated with the email address you have contacted us from. Please contact Boingo Customer Care using the phone numbers listed below. We are available 24/7/365.

So I emailed back stating that I could not get through on the Customer Care line and got the following response:

Thank you for contacting Boingo Wireless.

I am sorry for any inconvenience this may of caused. As a security measure, we do not process cancellation requests via email. Please contact Boingo Customer at 1.800.880.4117 to assist you in the cancellation of your Boingo account. We are available 24/7/365.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us again in the future. We are available 24/7/365.

I finally figured out the username and password and went to the site to cancel my subscription, but they don't have that option on their site. So now I will have to contact my bank to tell them not to allow any more charges from this company so that I can stop wasting my money every month.

My suggestion? STAY AWAY FROM BOINGO!

Comments

• Ba
      26th of Feb, 2010

Please accept our apologies for your frustrating experience. Our average wait time for Customer Care calls is about two minutes, so your experience was unusual – although by no means acceptable. Sorry again for your experience.

Can you email me and I can help you with canceling your account? My email is bnguyen@boingo.com.

Best regards,
    Baochi

• Re
      14th of Apr, 2010
    Boingo Wireless - Horrible fraudulent company
    Boingo Wireless
    boingo.com

Horrible fraudulent company. One time fee magically transforms into monthly withdrawals from your account. Small print is too small to be honest.

• La
      29th of Apr, 2010

So sorry to hear that you've had a bad experience with Boingo. I assure you that we're honest folks and far from fraudulent. We want you to be happy with us, and as such, I'd like to make things right for you.

Would you please email me at lsanyal at boingo dot com with your username? I'm happy to look into your account and determine what happened. We'll get to the bottom of this.

• Br
      20th of Sep, 2010

If you try to cancel via email; they send you a form. If you don't send the form back, you keep getting charged.

That happened to me - didn't send the form back, and I had two month's worth of charges. When I called - even though they saw WHEN I intended to cancel, they would NOT credit me for the two months. Had a big deal with the guy on the phone--a real hardass. Yes, my mistake and I admitted that. Now just credit me the 20 bucks for the love of God!

It's 2010 - didn't customer service get better than this like in 1987?

• Fi
      18th of Jan, 2011

I quite agree with these complaints. I have my own and much worse if possible. I am a Boingo customer in France. I cancelled my account a few month ago by mail with no effect whatsoever. Silence all around. I reiterated my cancellation by mail again a few days ago and received the typical reply on Jan.17, 2011
    We are sorry to hear that you wish to close your Boingo account. If there's anything we can do to change your mind, please let us know.
    To continue with the cancellation process, please reply with your billing address and the last four digits of the credit card number on file. Or, if you prefer, you may contact Customer Care 24/7/365.
    We hope you will reconsider! Warm regards, Mitchell Owen, Customer Car
    Warm regards indeed! now I will go through the same process as raybasweb and see what happens. And cancel my bank order and let the whole world know about this dishonest business.
    fiflefen

• Hc
      11th of Feb, 2011

I also have really bad experience just last week.
    While my laptop just get connect with the WIFI signal, they charge directly without my authorization. And the amount of charge is not the same with the plan I purchased in the beginning. This is cheating!
    (https://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/boingo-c419107.html)

When I emailed to the support service team. they only asked me to contact their tier 2 customer service directly through a US free call. But as a traveller, I'm not locate in US/UK..etc, why I should pay an international phone call to this stupid and fraud company to deal with the problem they caused?

They only reply the complains on this website and FB fan page in real time, but with almost the same message. And mostly from only two guys Lauren and Baochi (can find them on FB fan page).

What I am suggesting besides keeping away from BOINGO. I think we should share this bad experience on our network, including FB page and Twitter... personal blog... or they will just keep acting like this, do no progress and charge user just like they are an easy reach ATM!! It is kind of cheating!!

I found a purely anti-boingo website. http://www.ihateboingo.com/
    Share it and let every of your friend get aware about this!

Sincerely,
    Pres

• Re
      5th of Oct, 2011
    Boingo Wireless - 24 hr period = 3 times the price
    Boingo Wireless

Signed up for a 24-hour one time period in Tokyo, but was charged for 3 "one time" periods. Customer service said I connected 3 devices, when in fact I connected 2 -- a laptop and iPhone (didn't know that was against the rules). Would not offer a refund. Explained that I connected my laptop twice within the 24 hour period, but their reports showed it was 3 different devices. The amount in question is small, but this doesn't make me feel confident in their service if their software cannot accurately read a MAC address. Will call the bank and dispute the charges --- and never use them again.

• Cw
      25th of Oct, 2013

I agree Boing makes it extremely difficult to get a hold of the to cancel. But when it comes to signing it is as easy as it gets.
    I am still trying to cancel my account now. It is now 2013!!! still no improvement!!!